Alejandro Bedoya signs with swedish Örebro SK

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by david_c, Dec 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have preferred another league, but whatever. Another Yank in the CL (hopefully) is fine with me. If it actually is in January, he gets EL, which is fine as well.

Congrats to Ale though, hes a class act.

2. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Much as I'd like to change the title to a Lady Gaga reference (which, I admit, I was thinking of myself when I clicked on the thread a little while ago, and "Alejandro" is the only Lady Gaga song I know), mightn't we perhaps wait to see how this all plays out? Or shall I change it to "...From Örebro to Rangers?"

3. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    They just got eliminated so I guess this is one less worry. To summarize the game FK Sarajevo looked much better this time (Örebro dominated the first game at home). The main difference between the teams was that Örebro still can't score any goals whatsoever (Bedoya is still tied top scorer for them in the league this season).

About the risk of him being benched I don't think he will be if he stays for the rest of the season. They had another player who left as Bosman last year and they kept playing him until the end.

4. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Appreciate your first hand accounts from
    Sweden on Bedoya. Thanks again.

5. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Appreciate your first hand accounts from
    Sweden on Bedoya. Thanks again.

6. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Technically, Bedoya is in slightly better shape concerning a work permit then Findley was 6 months ago. He's played in 5 of 17 official US matches in the last 2 years, and that number will be 5 of 10 by January 2012.

7. soccaisthecoolest

Jul 22, 2008

Is the permit criteria the same in England & Scotland?

Also, does playing for an EU league prior to the transfer help at all?

8. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I believe so.

No, that doesn't make any difference unless he stayed long enough to gain citizenship in said country.

9. soccaisthecoolest

Jul 22, 2008

Is the permit criteria the same in England & Scotland?

Also, does playing for an EU league prior to the transfer help at all?

10. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If I were him, I would probably elect to have an ACL and ankle surgery before joining rangers so he can reinforce his tendons and ligaments before getting them hacked off in the SPL.

11. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First post on the violence of the Scottish game. Still waiting for the first on Scottish racism... ;)

12. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Its not that the scottish game is violent, they just tend to have their challenges get more than just the ball.

13. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One man's opinion...

14. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Yes its the same for the UK (England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland). If a player doesn't have an EU passport they must have played in 75% of their national teams "A" games (World Cup, World Cup qualifying, Gold Cup or similar competition) in the past 2 years. The national team also has to be in the top 70 in FIFA rankings.

I don't think Bedoya is anywhere close to 75% so it should automatically go to an appeal but he isn't guaranteed to win the appeal.

Playing in Sweden doesn't help unless he gets citizenship but that will take 3 more years. It takes 5 years of residence in Sweden for citizenship.

15. Minnesota FC 518

May 22, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah but he'll be going to one of the big two so to speak in scotland. if it's like the big clubs in england they usually get there way on these matters.

16. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    Bedoya seems perfect for Scotland. He's got some skill but he seems to thrive on a high work rate, chasing every lost cause and forcing the opposition to make errors. I know we want every new yank abroad to turn into xavi but I think bedoya to rangers makes sense.

Also, I think landon helped bedoya out with his permit. Got to help to say he started in all 3 knockout matches in the gold cup just this summer. I know he almost wasn't on the roster but he started those games.

17. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
  18. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    According to Örebro newspaper NA the bid that was turned down was $0.5 million. To put it in context Örebro just sold a defender who also had his contract ending this winter for $0.8 million to Club Brügge. So they would probably have been looking to get at least that.

19. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad for Alejandro, Rangers a great team and SPL a pretty cruddy league BUT its a big club and the Coach and Club WANT Bedoya...

You go to the teams that WANT you. Who make effort for you. So I think he will do well in Rangers. But until 2012 he is a Örebro SK player.

20. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a bad move, IMO. He won't learn much in Scotland that he hasn't learned in Sweden. He will likely get injured, too, and miss a lot of games. Scotland is a blood and guts league -- technically not any better than MLS, but more pace and more physical, and obviously deeper pockets and consequently more depth.

Yes, it's good to go to a place where you will play. That's absolutely the most important criteria. Likewise, it's good to have Edu there to help you. And he will increase his wages. That's all good. However, as far as development goes, he would have been better off going to Portugal, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Spain. Having said that, you can only go where you have offers. If Rangers was the best he could do, then so be it. Rangers is a big club, and hard to turn down in the absence of better offers.

I wish him good luck.

21. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    How did Landon help him get a permit (which he doesn't actually have by the way)?

22. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Deeneaus

Deeneaus Member+

Aug 29, 2007
    America/Deutschland
    Club:
    Arminia Bielefeld
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best of both worlds:

Alejandro @ Glasgow Rangers: On the Edge of Gersland!

I'm excited for this move because, should he impress, Bedoya will slot in and make a difference in that midfield. I do wonder where McCoist will employ him, though.

24. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    I meant with the case for his permit appeal.

Landon went to sisters wedding = bedoya getting more time in gold cup.

And presumably that is what rangers will build their appeal around.

25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    How about sectarianism?

I did call my Rangers bud last night, and talked to him about Bedoya. He said he heard from his buddies at the bar that Alejandro was Catholic, and expressed much displeasure about it.

I believe Alejandro went to St. Thomas Aquinas High School in Miami.........which is Roman Catholic. Then of course he attended Boston College, a private Roman Catholic university.

I worked the guy into quite a tizzy :)

I have no idea if Alejandro is Catholic or not.................but he is of Colombian descent (a heavily Catholic nation. >90%) and attended Catholic schools much of his life.