Alarming breaking news!

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by kaberon10, Sep 28, 2003.

1. jmpike

jmpike New Member

Sep 29, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    How is my argument pathetic? Earlier someone mentioned that it couldn't be Owen because he's gay. Someone else laughed.

Is that making fun of the case?

I said a name that doesn't exist was in a hotel and that by saying that, I would become Keown's idol.

FURY ALL OVER THE PLACE

Give me a break. This is gossip from a tabloid. If no one can make a joke, then get a life. I did not make fun of the case, by the way, I was making fun of a player,

DISCLAIMER: who was nowhere near any illegal incidents that I know of.

God forbid your dad would come onto me now.

2. DJ67

DJ67 New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    If anyone is interested in the legal position I will have a stab at explaining it.

There are two potential problems facing anyone publishing details. First, if the story turns out to be untrue, anybody who published comments damaging to an individual's reputation can be sued for libel (this includes repeating what someone else has said - so reporting a Sun story on a website could be a problem). As you would expect,under English law, this will only apply in the UK. If they wanted to sue someone for defamation in another country, they would be subject to the civil law there, which is likely to be less restrictive and certainly different.

This is a civil law issue, so does not make publishing 'illegal'. Any action is between two parties - ie someone would have to sue for anything to happen. This is why, presumably, hosts of message boards outside the UK are not so concerned - they know it is unlikely English players will sue them.

The second issue, which is a criminal matter, is contempt of court. It is quite complicated and UK media has been playing fast and loose with it for some time - (I think the Mirror got tripped up by this in the last football scandal - one of the Leeds trials IIRC). Basically, the media can publish very little about any crime before the start of a trial, for fear of prejudicing the jury. Limited details which can be reported before any evidence is given at the trial include the nature of the charge and the identity of the person charged (there is a debate whether even this should be removed in sexual offences - as it is in relation to identity of victims).

The current grey area is when the rules kick in. I think the law is (or was) that contempt can only occur after a charge has been laid. The problem here is that before anyone is charged there can be wild speculation in the press as to what happened in a high profile case which is potentially highly prejudicial to any future trial. This appears to be already happening in the present case. For this reason I think the courts are extending (have extended?) the rule to include situations where it is likely charges could follow.

I think the tabloids are already in danger of overstepping the mark in the present case (some of the stories this morning would clearly be evidentially relevant in any rape trial - and so should not have been reported) - this is why the Attorney General has already issued a warning.

3. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tend to believe the woman in cases like this one, but the fact that she went immediately to the media first makes me think this is a load of crap. One would think a rape victim would first go to the police or a trusted confident.

4. It'scalledfootball!

It'scalledfootball! New Member

Sep 25, 2003
    Lake Placid

Newcastle were in town! If you lived in the UK and knew their players considering anyone else would be showing that you know nothing about football.Remove Shearer from the list, the rest are *#*#*#*#*#*#*# on a pitch and animals off it. Dyer was in the papers for taking girls back to his apartment while on holiday in Greece. No big deal you, he had his friends film him screwing th girls. You can put him down as a suspect. Woodgate and Bowyer are both racist animals, add them too.

5. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Not to mention some of this stuff is against the TOS of BigSoccer. I've closed thread in which posters "speculated and guessed" about KC Wizards (I understandably realize a situation across the Atlantic and in a MUCH bigger league is different) players and their sexual habits. Because it was speculation and false information, which I'm sure a lot of the names thrown around in this thread are false, the thread broke the TOS of BigSoccer and was closed. Thats for the mods around here to decide, but I will point out that football365 had their message boards shut down because some posters dropped names of players based on nothing but pure speculation.

6. It'scalledfootball!

Sep 25, 2003
    Lake Placid
    Making jokes about players from Newcastle is our right as football fans. If Bobby wants to buy the most oustanding animals in the Premiership as their manager it is his right.
    I'm not sure about Own being gay though, he was born in Wales which to my mind is much worse! Baaahhhhhh!! if you get my meaning.

7. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Someone in Liverpool calling Southampton dreary? Nice. :)

8. It'scalledfootball!

Sep 25, 2003
    Lake Placid
    So 8 footballers accused of assaulting a 17 year old isn't alarming? It is news, because most of us in Britain, or from Britain have a pretty good idea of who it is and because of that reason alone, the names will not be published because this time they want to see them going down. It is news, big news!

9. skyboy

skyboy New Member

Jul 16, 2003
    New York City
    well...i believe they are not the best lads in the world and i would not be surprised at all if they are involved in all this. however, it is very different thing to make guilty verdicts on them just based on their past behavior.

if you didn't see what happened last week at old trafford and just heard a rumour that number of arsenal and manu were involved in a ugly brawl, you will jump into conclusion that roy keene must be involved because of his reputation and past record....but we all know the he wasn't because we saw the unfortunate incident on tv for last ten days in every possible angle, at all different speed, no?

10. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    You haven't the faintest fucking idea who it is. Get over yourself. None of us do. Just because someone spent five seconds counting up 8 Premiership footballers who may or may not have been in London on Saturday and then posted their names on an Internet site does not mean "most of us in Britain, or from Britain" have profound insider knowledge of the case at hand.

These are the facts, as things stand:

1) A girl has made an allegation of rape against several men.

2) The Met are investigation the claim.

3) They have visited the hotel in which the event allegedly took place.

That's all there is. Nothing more.

Despite what some self-important teenage Internet gossip likes to think. And those that report his imaginative extrapolations of the above as gospel truth.

The media have nothing of substance or veracity to report and, with the exception of slime like the S*n, most media outlets are not reporting anything at all bar the original allegation.

It is not alarming until a policeman says "Mr Premiership footballer, I am arresting you on suspicion of a serious sexual assault".

And it is not news until Scotland Yard confirm, live on a major news channel, that this has happened.

11. asiffeta

asiffeta New Member

Oct 1, 2003

That's original mate.... Wales.... sheep.... does everyone see what he did there?!!.... clever lad he is. Did you think that one up all by yourself?

If youre going to make jokes like that f***wit, get your facts right, Owen was born in Chester.... seen a map lately?. W@nker.

12. The_mighty_hog

The_mighty_hog New Member

Sep 30, 2003
    Consett, Co. Durham
    quote:Originally posted by It'scalledfootball!
    Newcastle were in town! If you lived in the UK and knew their players considering anyone else would be showing that you know nothing about football.Remove Shearer from the list, the rest are *#*#*#*#*#*#*# on a pitch and animals off it. Dyer was in the papers for taking girls back to his apartment while on holiday in Greece. No big deal you, he had his friends film him screwing th girls. You can put him down as a suspect. Woodgate and Bowyer are both racist animals, add them too.

I think its safe to say you've disappeared up your own backside. Aside from Shearer they're all Animals? Viana? Given? Harper? Speed? Chopra? Solano? Griffin? Get your head out the tabloids and form your own independant opinion. As for *#*#*#*#*#*#*# on the pitch you can look at that paragon of virtue Roy Keane and wasn't Scholes in said tabloids over an incedent in a nightclub. Giggs has had a bit of form in the past too getting into various scrapes.

13. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Interesting first post...I like it..! No he didn't think it up himself he got it from the school lav wall.
    And to call him a wanker (Pretty mild ) you don't have to hide the A. ;)

14. ZonaGunner

ZonaGunner Member

Aug 23, 2003
    Tempe, Arizona
    Not to mention that just because some people are spreading the rumor that the events at Old Trafford were an "ugly brawl" doesn't mean that an ugly brawl took place. It could be there was just a little pushing and shoving and the media and others went bananas.

15. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    "Woodgate and Bowyer are both racist animals, add them too"

The room at the hotel in question was booked in Woodgate's name, as Newcastle (and Probably all clubs book their rooms months in advance) but he was not in London as he is injured. BUT his roomate (who he always shares with) is no surprise Bowyer. Who HAS been convicted of violent crimes before. Someone put that it was Ash Cole - at 10am Sat he had a fitness test to see whether it was ok for him to fly to Moscow. He rested friday night and was home in Friern Barnet.

The other names that have been posted are half right and half wrong, apparently Bellamy wasn't in the hotel....... but as for Dyer, Jenas and Ambrose............

16. skyboy

skyboy New Member

Jul 16, 2003
    New York City
    well...yes and no

i see your point that it is dangerous take others word/description blindly but in this case i (and apparently the whole world) saw it live on tv and repeatdly afterwards and i describe the incident as "ugly"...then again it belongs on another thread

17. blackpool fc mark

blackpool fc mark New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    BLACKPOOL
    to say its complete rubbish so early after the news broke is just plain ignorance. How do u no its not true? Well i hope u have read the papers, u will find that the police have said here claim is credible. Still think its utter rubbish? Think before u open your mouth and say such a senseless comment next time.

18. Aki's Boots

Aki's Boots New Member

I can guarantee one thing. Ther were no Crystal Palace players involved, our lot could not fecking score in the proverbial brothel :(

19. keeprighton

keeprighton New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Solihull
    interesting quote from the police in the Daily Record (http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/c...GIRL--I-WAS-RAPED-BY-3-PLAYERS-name_page.html)

A police source said: ``The woman has given a full statement to us.

``As a result, the men she named will be asked to give their accounts of what happened during the evening and early morning at the hotel. They will be contacted to come to London. If they do not meet with this request, they will be arrested.''

Note: "They will be contacted to come to London" - Rules out any London teams then.

Also Aston Vile have put out a statement saying it wasn't any of their players.

20. thisisanfield

thisisanfield New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    So what happens on saturday afternoon when whichever team being suspected takes the field, and everytime one of the players named gets the ball is booed, jeered and taunted by the away fans...

cat'll be out of thebag then.... are the papers going to have to fail to report any stories of fan trouble... will the tv companies have to edit out all fan noise of the away fans jeering certain people... and will eufa refuse to prosecute the visiting team for its fans, for fear that in doing so they are giving the game away and could be sued.... :?

21. thisisanfield

thisisanfield New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    and its guaranteed if it is the geordies, then if theyre not jeered at home this week, then when they travel to borough next week there fans wont hold back from making the rapist jeers...

so where does that leave the jeering fans and anyone who reports it... :?

22. keeprighton

keeprighton New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Solihull
    If the club doesn't field the players allegedly involved, then then the cats out the bag as well! Can't win can they! - Catch 22.

23. jmpike

jmpike New Member

Sep 29, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Does anyone know

And yet, MORE gossip

Does anyone know if Sir Bobby is a good actor?
    He was on Sky Sports News just now, claiming the reports of "Alarming News!" are rubbish. Take if from me: If he was lying, he's better than [name your favorite here].

24. thisisanfield

thisisanfield New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    well if it is the team thats being mentioned they cant win anyway.... :)

25. jmpike

jmpike New Member

Sep 29, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    I'm sorry!

I'm too old to answer!

I apologize to you, I didn't mean what I wrote, it should be a friendly discussion! I reacted that way because I was truly embarrassed by my adolescent remark and everyone's comment. This is a free-for-all! Just read the last three pages of this thread, it's shameful. A serious matter no doubt, but you have to keep a sense of humor. I'm sure we all want to prove that this didn't happen. I learned that giving nicknames to footballers is out of line in this ... very ... long .... thread.

Who has read every page? The poor lad who started it is getting sixty e-mails per day!

For those of you who think this posting is inflammatory, go read the Bible or something. And for those of you who are sure that this happened: I HOPE YOU'RE WRONG!