Alan Kelly Article

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by RedStar91, May 17, 2015.

1. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
  2. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    Fixed your post. :p

This is a good article, though. Interesting to hear why he chose to move to Boston instead of another city.

3. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    “I think, offside. There have been so many interpretations of the offside law over the last couple of years. It’s just caused massive confusion with everybody. So, simplifying that would be ideal. Just get back to basics. For everybody. Not just for match officials, but for the players, the coaches, the fans.”

Bless you Alan. The Voice of Reason.

themaa and jarbitro repped this.
  4. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How much of to he confusion around offside is because of PRO's strange approach to instructing it vs. how much of the confusion is global? I read the Kelly article as a tactful dig at the way PRO was instructing on it, but I might be reading too much into it. I think last year's confusion was a result of PRO's weirdness, but not sure about this year's. Any thoughts?

5. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I thinking you're finding what you're looking for, not what he's saying. The annual tinkering with OS is coming from IFAB, not PRO.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  6. Scrabbleship

Scrabbleship Member

May 24, 2012
    Not really. PRO screwed up a bunch of offside calls last season because they were interpreting the law differently to how everyone else was. After talking to CONCACAF and FIFA, they released a Play of the Week post before the season started that was basically them reversing the decisions made on a bunch of POTW posts last season.

7. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you're underestimating how much confusion there has been over implementation in UEFA. Just because PRO has chosen to transparently air their dirty laundry directly, so to speak, doesn't mean there haven't been big hiccups in UEFA. Take a look at the title of this link: http://www.law-11.com/blog/confusion-caused-by-uefa-ifab-not-agreeing-on-law-11

Remember that the blog in question is run by UEFA FIFA-level ARs.

Scrabbleship repped this.
  8. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Kelly still considered controversial? I have to say, he really impresses me the more I see him and I like the way he handles a game.

9. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's very helpful for me to hear. I focus so much on MLS, I'm not really aware of which problems are local vs. global.

10. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For whom?

Take a look at his assignments. Barring a nightmare late in the season, I think he's a clear favorite for MLS Cup this year.

11. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was more referring to the way he entered the league and the sort of snarky first post about him being a "favorite". I have noticed him getting a lot of higher profile and national TV games, so yeah I think you're on the mark there. He is very good at dealing with the little stuff before it becomes big stuff and seems to communicate really well.

12. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I'm still amazed that he didn't caution Connor Casey yesterday. Take your pick for either the tantrum he threw for Kelly disallowing his goal or for the handling itself.

13. Thug Mentality

May 30, 2011
    it wasnt nearly as bad as Penedos first tantrum at Jair after the VERY OBVIOUS penalty and Jair did nothing.

as much as i didnt like a foreigner coming over and claiming he wants to be FIFA and jumping in front of everyone else immediately, hes looked very good in every match ive seen from last year and this year. its almost a lock that he gets the espn or FS games. hes always very composed and talks to the players well. enjoyable to watch.

14. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    If he cautioned Casey, it would have been for his repeated fouls in the box.

15. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In fairness, Casey gets as good as he gets. I never got a good look and the handling because I sit in the other half. He sold it well, but he got it right? I thought Carroll was a little more animated than Casey, but again I didn't have the best view of the whole thing.

16. blacksun

blacksun Member+

Mar 30, 2006
    Seoul, Korea
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find that quote amusing considering that the Boston metro area has a larger population than the entire Republic of Ireland.

17. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I know that "Kelly only works on Sundays" has become a punchline in certain circles.

As a fan, I cringe every time I see him lined up to call a SKC game. He's replaced Michael Kennedy in that slot. As a fan, I also recognize that every team and fanbase have their own "oh no, not him" refs.