Alabama Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'nicodemus Guestbook' started by nicodemus, Feb 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Alabamian in the A-League

http://www.syracusefc.com/main/news.pl?id=35

Michael Ritch from Montgomery & AUM scores for Syracuse.

"Syracuses final score came in extra time, when forward Michael Ritch put home an empty netter on a breakaway after Milwaukee pulled goalkeeper James Larkin out in an effort to bring more players into the attack."

2. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Baumstark on the move

Clint B. is now with the Galaxy.

Los Angeles Galaxy -- Kevin Hartman, Danny Califf, Hong Myung-Bo, Tyrone Marshall, Ezra Hendrickson, Mauricio Cienfuegos (Alejandro Moreno 80), Simon Elliott, Cobi Jones, Jesus Ochoa (Jose Retiz 73), Gavin Glinton (Chris Albright 65), Sasha Victorine.

Substitutes Not Used: Clint Baumstark, Alexi Lalas.

3. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Baumstark on the move

Baumstark is all over the place. MLS signed him, what, 6-8 weeks ago, and he's on his third team? Bizarre.

4. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    ex-UAB

not totally Alabama related but ex-Blazer Joe Mattacchione made A-League team of the week.

A-LEAGUE: Honors

A-League Player of the Week
    Eduardo Sebrango (Montreal)

A-League Team of the Week

D - Joe Mattacchione (Toronto)
    * Goal in 1-0 win at Virginia Beach

5. Russell Richey

Russell Richey New Member

Jul 9, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Check this out

Hey guys, a colleague of mine (former BSC women's coach) and I penned a little article for the Birmingham Business Journal for the purpose of lighting a bit of fire around the 'Ham re: getting a pro soccer team.

http://birmingham.bizjournals.com/birmingham/stories/2003/06/02/editorial2.html

Check it out, and please forward to anyone that is interested in starting a dialogue in this vein, (especially if they are rich and want to fund a soccer team!)

Thx

RR

6. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Re: Check this out

Hey Russ, it was already posted in MLS: expansion forum

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=1178929#post1178929

7. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's that guy's name that wanted the Minnesota Twins?

8. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Donald Watkins, maybe we could lobby him to buy a team. He seems to really want to own some pro sport franchise.

9. Russell Richey

Jul 9, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    He's too busy trying to keep Richard Scrushy out of jail, but 10 mill - hey, Watkin's secretary probably can sign off on a measly sum like that.

10. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's what I'm talking about :D

11. Russell Richey

Jul 9, 2002
    Birmingham, AL

All ducks of course, would have to be in a row to approach Watkins (or his secretary!). Would he be the right guy though? Finding the wrong rich willful patron could be worse than not finding one at all from a long run point of view.

Maybe some rich Mtn Brook dowager-type lady - and I could sacrifice a few of our young virile Iguana lads at her altar? :)

BTW - how do y'all get those smiley faces and other icons to pop up in your text??

12. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking about that too. Do we really want someone in the Arrington camp leading the charge? At the same time though, just having African-American ownership could open it up to an audience that otherwise might not care.

Maybe we could just call in Max Bialystock

[​IMG]

the smiley is done by typying a colon next to a right parenthese. the big tooth grinning smiley is done colon next to a capital D. tongue sticking out smiley is colon next to lower case p and winking smiley is a semicolon next to a right parenthese.

13. Russell Richey

Jul 9, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Thanks! :) :D

14. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's the lead character in Mel Brooks' 1968 classic The Producers. In the movie, his character persuades rich little old ladies to give him money to produce plays.

15. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Baumstark on the move......again

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1055226631315300.xml

"Yesterday the MetroStars acquired goalkeeper Clint Baumstark, the former University of Alabama at Birmingham goalkeeper who is in the Under-20 player pool, to back up Grafer.

Baumstark spent time with the Dallas Burn and Los Angeles Galaxy this season. "

He might stick with them since Howard is away on Confed Cup duty and perhaps is gone to ManU after that though the Metros are said to be looking for a replacement.

16. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
  17. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: more on the potential citywide complex

Wow. People (seperate municipalities) in Birmingham working together to achieve something for the greater good of the city? Surely a sign of the end times.

Seriously though, maybe this will be the beginning of a fruitful relationship for other things besides sports.

18. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    russell!! saw your letter in the paper - HAH! you tell 'em iguana!!

i know it's late notice but does anybody know of a bar with telefutura?!? it's 1115 am, US v brazil is at 2 and i cant find one!! HELP!!

19. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    it's your lucky day. Sabor Latino. Mexican restaurant in Homewood on Green Springs told us a few weeks ago that they had Telefutura so we'll be there watching. If you aren't familiar with it then it is up on the hill in an old strip mall(look for AutoZone and turn in there.) It's almost at the intersection of Green Springs & Valley Avenue.

20. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    actually i JUST called them so i guess i'll see ya there

21. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You lucky dogs. I will be on the "Matchtracker" since I'm at work :(

22. chilistrider

chilistrider Together We Rise

May 9, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm trying to get my dad to go, but I don't think he will. Here in Denver Telefutura is a broadcast station, and we pick it up clearly, even without cable. Woo-hoo!

23. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
  24. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dang, its even a pretty good sized, good quality picture!