Alabama Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'nicodemus Guestbook' started by nicodemus, Feb 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
  2. Have you guys heard anything about ticket sales? Are they doing a lot of advertising?

Way to go in soccer, Birmingham!!!

3. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001

Pretty good bit of print adverts. BTW, I'm going to be part of a team of four doing stats for the game on Saturday.

4. chilistrider

chilistrider Together We Rise

May 9, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, what a cool gig, getting to do the stats for that game! I wish I could be there. When I was home last week I went to a party at a friend's house and was talking to random stranger X and asked if he was going to the women's national team game. Much to my surprise he not only knew what I was talking about but also was on a *wait list* to get tickets from his company. (I told him to just go ahead and buy his own.)

Just saw this link from FSW: http://foxsportsworld.lycos.com/content/view?contentId=1319200

That's so great that the media are paying a lot of attention. I hope this helps our chances at getting a WWC game or two!

5. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Kasey Keller coming to town

We've got to find out what hospital so we can send a get well card.

6. chilistrider

chilistrider Together We Rise

May 9, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my best guess

I'd bet my bottom dollar he'll be at HealthSouth. You know, I might just send him a card. Why the heck not?

HEALTHSOUTH Medical Center
    1201 11th Ave. South
    Birmingham, AL 35205

7. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Clint vs Tottenham

Clint appears to be backing up Rimando vs Spurs acording to www.spurs.co.uk

Line-ups: DC United: Rimando, Ivanov (Prideaux, 61), Nelson, Petke, Olsen (Alegria, 61), Etcheverry, Kovalenko, Harkes, Convey, Quaranta (Stewart, 45), Stoitchkov (Curtis, 67). Subs: Baumstark, Namoff, Quintanilla.

8. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Clint vs Tottenham

Baumstark needs to be referred to as Baumstark even though this is the Alabama Soccer Thread. We all know there's only one "Clint."

[​IMG]

9. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Re: Re: Clint vs Tottenham

point taken.

10. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: my best guess

That is if HealthSouth can still aford the light bill and bandaids.

11. Russell Richey

Russell Richey New Member

Jul 9, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    (I realize this is an old thread - I just discovered the AL section today - but for the record...)

The Grasshoppers were a team made up of predominantly ex-BSC players - this is when the 'hoppers were run by Preston Goldfarb, the BSC men's coach.

When Ron Buffington took over the franchise in 96/97, he renamed it the Saints (he also ran the Angels - giddit? Saints - Angels?). The player pool shifted over to UAB stock - and some old nags like me. Poor old Buffington started with the best intentions, but he never had much in the bank. (or the brain, for that matter!) He brought in Jim Launder (now assistant coach at Columbus) but it all began to go pear-shaped when the money ran low - Launder bolted for Dayton after Buffington didn't live up to his commitments, and the team only lasted two seasons - limping most of the way.

Shame, because Birmingham certainly has the critical mass in terms of player talent to at least field a decent D-3 team, and with the right marketing and reasonably deep pockets, a D-3 or A-League side could certainly make a go of it.

12. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to the thread Russell. I agree entirely with your assessment of the situation. As we discussed earlier though in the thread, I believe location would greatly affect a team's success. I think people will drive down to Graymont for the national teams, but not several times a month for league play.

13. worldsoccer-Jeff

Mar 4, 2000
    Atlanta
    So how was the England game. I had a wedding to go to on Saturday and didnt make the game. Did Bham do itself proud. It look great on tv, a little (ok a lot empty) in the stadium, but respectable. The halftime stuff was very good.

14. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they did quite well. Apparently 12,000 is good turnout for a women's friendly. They had a few chants going, were doing the "we will rock you" bleacher stomping thing and generally having a good time.

The only bad thing was a violent clash between US and England supporters in a local bar ;) (yeah right!)

16. Russell Richey

Jul 9, 2002
    Birmingham, AL

That was just some Iguana - were you at the Nick too?

It was a very good crowd at the "Grey Lady", though - and the showing couldn't have come at a handier time w/USA front-running for the Women's WC and Gene Hallman wooing "Dr. Bob" (as he calls him) hard for Bham to be a host city.

As to getting crowds out for pro soccer down that way - you're right - a longshot. But UAB for A-League - good match - could line other side w/bleachers eventually.

Also Hoover SC's rather ambitious proposal could hold possibilities for an A-League certainly D-3 worthy venue. Who knows, think Frisco, TX?

17. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been meaning to post something on that. What are they talking about, a 2,000 seat stadium in addition to 19 other fields? I've heard different people say different things, but that one makes the most sense to me.

18. worldsoccer-Jeff

Mar 4, 2000
    Atlanta

Soloman Crenshaw's (sp?) piece in the local sections in todays (May 21) B'Ham News talks about the plans.

19. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to have to see if I can get that off www.al.com

NSR, but GO RUBEN!

20. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, www.al.com doesn't have the Hoover fields story. Can you give us a brief summary Jeff?

21. Russell Richey

Jul 9, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
  22. worldsoccer-Jeff

Mar 4, 2000
    Atlanta
    Sorry for taken so long, havent been by in a while. The article was kinda a "hope those people can get it together and do something for the kids" type article. The link from Russell sums it up.

23. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Russell Richey

Jul 9, 2002
    Birmingham, AL

I think that's just a list compiled by the writer, who may or may not have gotten some info from US Soccer (which is located in Chicago).

The list presented in article is not part of an official statement from US Soccer, otherwise writer would have cited source.

Bham is under radar for most soccer writers, but Halman has definitely met face-to-face w/US Soccer top brass (at England match) and I'd be very surprised if Bham was out of the running at this point.

25. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    BSC signs 10

http://www.bscsports.net/msoccer/2002news/5-28recruits.htm

Goldfarb adds 10 newcomers to 2003 BSC men's soccer
    recruiting class

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. -- Birmingham-Southern head men's soccer coach Preston Goldfarb announced today the addition
    of 10 student-athletes to the 2003 Panther squad.

The following are profiles of the 10 new student-athletes

Matt Barcelona, Fr., Striker, Shreveport, La./Parkway High School
    Freshmen year-All District 1st Team; Sophomore year-All District 1st Team, All Cit 2nd Team, State Finalist; Junior
    year-All District 1st team, All District Offensive MVP, All-City 1st team; Senior Year- broken leg early in season.
    Surgery needed, but ahead of schedule in recovery.

John Booth, Jr., Attacking Mid-field, Striker, Houston, Texas/Westminster College (Pa.)
    Leading scorer freshman and sophomore seasons at Westminster. Scored 12 goals and added six assists last
    season… Helped lead WC to a 16-4-2 record and the school's first NCAA Division III Tournament bid.

Trevor Cobb, Fr., Marking Back, Birmingham, Ala./Homewood High School Freshman year-All Metro-Honorable Mention;
    Sophomore year-All Metro 3rd team; Junior Year-All Metro 1st team, All State 1st team; Senior Year-State Champions,
    All Metro 1st team, Jefferson County Player of the Year. Club-Vestavia Steamers, 2002
    State Champions.

Karim Dietz, Fr., Striker, Waldalgesheim, Germany
    Club-Eintracht Frankfurt Amateur. 20 caps for the u16-u18 German National Team.

Martin DeVaney, Fr., Striker, Bay Minette, Ala./McGill-Toolen High School Junior year-2002 State Championship Team
    6A; Senior Year-State Tournament Final Four. Club-Hoover Phantoms…2002 State Champions.

Ryan Keiser, Fr., Midfield, Southmont, Pa.,/Westmont Hilltop High School Sophomore, junior, and senior year.
    Vestavia High School, freshman year.
    Club-Keystone Soccer Club and Vestavia Hills Steamers. ODP-Member of Alabama
    State Team in 1999 and 2000.

Sander Milicev, Fr., Birmingham, Ala./Oak Mountain High School- Sophomore year, All Metro Team; Junior year-All
    Metro, All State Honorable Mention; Senior year-All Metro 1st team, State Tournament Runner-up. Club-Hoover
    Phantoms, 8-time
    State Champions. ODP-Starting sweeper and captain 5 years.

Andres Portabella, Fr., Midfield, Guatemala City, Guatemala
    Club-u17 Comunicaciones, captain. Member of u20 Guatemalan National Team in qualifying games for the 2005 u20
    World Cup. Member of u19 National Futsal Team.

Sven Simon, Fr., Striker, Russelsheim, Germany
    Club-Eintracht Frankfurt Amateur.

Martin Zaluk, Fr., Midfield, Schwalback, Germany
    Club-Eintracht Frankfurt Amateur.

Not surprised at the German signings but the Guatemalan is surprising. Don't think BSC has ever had a Latin player.