Alabama Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'nicodemus Guestbook' started by nicodemus, Feb 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My wife graduated in '93 so I'm sure you don't know her, but her brother graduated in '90 or '91 so there's a good chance you at least know who he is.

2. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: small world

Believe it or not, the guy that coaches fencing for the Birmingham Fencing Club was an Olympic fencer from China. Who would've guessed that B'ham would now have a Chinese Olympian coaching fencing?

Yes, some Dreamland would definately be in order as would a tailgate. Hope you make it back.

I've never been over for one of the WUSA matches, but we did go for the Lamar Hunt Cup last year to see the Atlanta Silverbacks play the Dallas Burn and attendance was a few thousand. No idea what they get for WUSA games. I hear they play at Oglethorp University fields though (which I've been to) and they don't hold very many people.

3. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: small world

I've always wondered about that myself.

4. worldsoccer-Jeff

Mar 4, 2000
    Atlanta
    Man, I am but a mear child compared to all you old people. I got out of high school in 96 :)

5. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    I'm only old in age. My wife is one year younger than you!

6. Another "old" person here. Coming home to Birmingham from the sticks of Mississippi. Will be my first national team game to see in the States. Would love to meet up with some BigSoccer people.

Oh, I played for John Carroll's girl's team. Graduated in 1988. For any who followed high school football......our senior year was the year John Carroll ended a three season winless streak! Yep, we sucked. :D

Thanks for the info.

7. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001

Who knew there were so many "Alabamatonians"(if you don't get that.......too bad) on BS. I thought it was just me and my bro. Then people just started coming out of the woodwork. I remember the days of JC football being winless. Hope we can have a BigSoccer tailgate for all of us.

8. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't lump me in with the rest of those geezers ;) (that was a jibe at my brother pvan4, not the rest of you), I graduated in 1994, so we're only two years apart.

9. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think in addition to meeting at the game we should have a get together either before or after the match somewhere donw in 5 Points South.

We had a similar meeting for fans in Miami and it was awesome.

10. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
  11. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really need to get into coaching. I think of all the people that took time out of their schedule to coach me and realize that it is time to step up and coach at some point. I will probably wait until the fall though, as I don't have a job right now.

12. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
  13. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just found this on another thread. The only reason I'm posting here is so we can try to find some place to watch these games. Doesn't Sabor Latino have Galavision? Or that place Los Angeles maybe? Definately need to watch these though.

14. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001

Sabor has Galavision. Late Night Cafe or Formaggio's(whichever name you wanna call it) probably does too. The rub: I'm gonna be outta town for the 1st two games and the US-Japan game. No big deal. I'm going to stay with relatives in Naples,FL and they probably have a dish but we're leaving on the 29th to come back so I'll miss the US-Japan game live and will have to watch a taped version.

15. worldsoccer-Jeff

Mar 4, 2000
    Atlanta
    I have Gala on basic cable.

16. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? Where do you live again?

17. worldsoccer-Jeff

Mar 4, 2000
    Atlanta
    I live on the Tennessee state line. Charter Digital Cable- I get FSW, FSWE, GALA, Univ, and Telemondo (sp?) and a few other spanish stations that never show soccer. Well, only Univ and Tele are basic, the others are on the digital cable add-on. The only one I cant get is Telefutura.

18. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's awesome. My brother gets FSW, FSWE, Telemundo on digital cable. Galavision and Univsion we have to go to restaurants though or find somebody with a satellite. You'd think with the enormous Mexican population in Birmingham that we'd get some of those via basic...but everything is getting put on digital down here or on satellite. Basic cable is becoming terrible...at least for soccer.

19. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001

I actually get FSW,FSWE,Telemundo & Univision but no Galavision.

20. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001

I'm on Charter digital cable also. Weird how different areas get completely different channels on the same system. When I lived in Homewood and had Charter there were no Spanish language channels and I'll guarantee there are more Latinos in Homewood than Mt Brook. Also, in Mt Brook Telemundo & Univision are on basic cable.

21. worldsoccer-Jeff

Mar 4, 2000
    Atlanta
    Here in Limestone County, their are two cable comp. One (Charter) in trying to get the all the Mexicans to subscribe. So I get like 10 spanish only stations.

22. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't know you got Univision...you've been holding out!

23. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know it isn't totally Alabama related, but I figured I'd post it here. I saw the A-League has announced their schedule. Just for a deep seeded desire to watch live soccer, I thought it could be fun to head over for a couple of matches. On 5/17, they are playing a US Open Cup qualifier against Charlotte. Could be fun. Anybody up for going over?

http://www.uslsoccer.com/schedules/atlantasilverbacks.htm

24. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001

That would be me. Down for one and maybe two if the wifey is interested.

25. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coolio. They have several sunday games (one on my birthday...i see a road trip party forming.)