Al Habsi to be first Asian goalkeeper in the English Premier League?

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by Emirati, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Emirati

Emirati New Member

Jun 22, 2004
    UAE
    'Oman’s goalkeeper Ali Al Habsi might become the first Asian goalkeeper to play in the English Premier League (EPL) next season if his transfer falls through.

Al Habsi currently plays for Norwegian club Lyn and negotiations are currently underway between his club and Bolton Wanderers. His agent Peter Hansen is currently dealing with EPL giants and it is said that Lyn are asking for more money for Al Habsi who was voted best goalkeeper in the Norwegian league last season.

His contract with Lyn runs until 2005.'

http://www.the-afc.com/english/media/default.asp?mnaction=news&action=details&newsID=955

2. ilbaasha

ilbaasha New Member

Oct 27, 2004
    Kuwait City
    all the best to Al-Habsi... a magnificent goalie (mashallah) I hope he does well with whatever he decides to do.

3. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    He's not as good as Shafi the Jordan keeper.

4. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be a great move for him and for Omani football. Would that make him the first Gulfi to play in the EPL?

5. SS2006

SS2006 Member

Oct 30, 2004
    London, Canada
    shafi is better

6. nazzo

nazzo Member

Nov 20, 2004
    Kuwait
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    No offence, but Al Habsee is ten times better than thr Jordanian goalkeeper.

7. Emirati

Emirati New Member

Jun 22, 2004
    UAE
    I agree he is a much more a solid performer than Shafi , the dude can save pentlies and is better in handling crosses and maybe the next
    Mohammed Al Deaya.

8. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    If by Gulfi you mean people from countries bordering the Persian gulf then no he is not since Karim Bagheri of Iran was the first Asian player ever to feature in the Premier league in 2000.

9. Emirati

Emirati New Member

Jun 22, 2004
    UAE
    i think Sami Al Jaber left for Premiership too.

10. Power_of_foot

Power_of_foot Red Card

May 28, 2004
    Good for him.
    I bet he makes it there.
    It is good for Oman and good for the future of Asian football

11. rkim291968

rkim291968 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    CA, USA
    The Maldive goalie was good, too.

12. ilbaasha

ilbaasha New Member

Oct 27, 2004
    Kuwait City
    Sami played in division 1, what's now called the Coca Cola championship! as far as I know.

So, that'll make Al-Habsi first GCC citizen to play in the EPL.

there was an Iraqi fella who played in English top division, not premiereship back then (division 1 I think). back in the 60's. not sure of the name though

13. persiantiger

persiantiger Guest

The first asian goalkeeper or player for that matter who was bought by an english primeriship club was iran's goalie in the 70's nasser hijazey ( asia's greatest goalkeeper of all time along with al daye of saudi ) who played a season with manchester united as their 3rd goalie :eek: he played a few matches in the league cup, not sure if he ever got a chance to play a primership game tho :eek:

oh and yea shafi is better than oman's keeper.

14. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Oh yaah!
    Nasser Hejazi did have a trial and 3 caps with Manchester United FC before the revolution.

Nasser Hejazi was also ranked the 41st in "The World's best Goalkeeper of the Century". ( Ranked 2nd in Asia )

[​IMG]

15. Txtriathlete

Txtriathlete Member

Aug 6, 2004
    The American Empire
    Habsi is good, but Shaafi just impressed the hell outta me in all his games!

16. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry I should have been more specific - I meant Arab Gulf nations - like those who play in the Gulf Cup. Iran have had quite a few players play in Europe I believe.

17. hooshimaro

hooshimaro New Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Texas
    Alhasbi is one of the best goalies in asia and he is young too i guess he is only 20 or 21. he must have been a good goalie to be offered to play in premier league where they have restrictions for non european players. Good Luck Alhasbi. and by the way Shafie is good but dont forget Jordan had a strong defenders too who helped shafie alot.