Akron Zips 2021

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by fknbuflobo, Jan 15, 2021.

1. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Since I didn’t make it to the game I’m not sure about student attendance but the box score states 3399 at the Akron vs IU game. That’s pretty decent.

I won’t be surprised if there are more Akron fans at the Ohio State game in Columbus next week than there are Buckeye fans.
    :D
    I checked the box score and once again Akron’s opponent had a lot of shots. It seems that this team, and the team last year, gave up a lot of shots. I don’t remember this happening in the past like this.

Having not watched the game, I really can’t speculate why this is. In the past, Akron would concede so few shots not because the defense was so stout, but more due to dominating possession and giving opponents limited chances. The fact that they’re giving up so many shots tells me that they’re not as possession oriented as they have been in past years.

4. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with your speculative analysis. Both PIT and IND saw numerous quality chances at AKR net.

GK #1 Will Meyer once again stood on his head. He may not do all things GK exceptionally well, but the boy can block him some shots. Heard it.

stphnsn and BigRedFootie repped this.
  5. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I will be in Columbus. Word is that at least one busload of AK Rowdies will also attend.

6. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hard to judge attendance by sight and feel, but I would wager there were more than 4K in attendance. Without a doubt, more attended this match than any in several years. The student (AK Rowdies) section was fantastic.

IND always brings an entourage.

7. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is common on these forums to denigrate the evolution of American soccer. Have at it. But I am of the minority opinion that the average NCAA D1 team is much more offensively dangerous than it was a decade ago. Any/Every body score nowadays.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  8. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    The depth of talent in college soccer has gotten much better, largely because of the academy system and the influx of internationals with substantial pro experience.

The difference is at the high-end, where there are very few, if any, elite players in college soccer. There are still some. I mean, Cyle Larin, Tajon Buchanan, Daryl Dike, Miles Robinson, Zack Steffen and Jack Harrison tell us that. But they don't stick around long and they are the exceptions that prove the rule.

But there's certainly still a lot of talent in NCAA Soccer, it's just more rank-and-file (at the pro level) than difference-maker at the next level.

BigRedFootie and fknbuflobo repped this.
  10. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OSU 1, Akron 0. Beautiful night for soccer. I thought Ohio State was the better team in the first half, Akron a bit better in the second, but couldn't score.

fknbuflobo repped this.
  11. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OSU 1-0 AKR

Buckeyes wanted it more. This result does not surprise me. But it is still disgusting.

Great seeing all former Zips affiliated with the Crew. They were all there.

12. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I made it to Columbus last night and it was quite disappointing. The Zips will need to get better to play with Marshall. They did not look like contenders last night. The play that Ohio State scored on came on a corner and I didn't see who it was, but someone lost their mark. It was just poor defending.

A few other observations about the game...

- I was wondering if Akron's opponents were getting so many shots because Akron was not as dominant with possession as some of the past Akron teams were. Last night confirmed that suspicion. The midfield did not play well and had a difficult time holding the ball. Past Akron teams prided themselves with having a patient build-up in the attack and playing "death by 1000 passes" but there was none of that last night. Akron had a slight edge in possession but it was not dominant. They outshot the Buckeyes but that doesn't matter if those shots don't find the back of the net.

- In the past when Akron lost possession I was accustomed to seeing them putting a huge effort into winning the ball back and not giving up until they did. They still swarmed but the effort did not seem as tenacious as to what I've seen from other Akron teams.

- Akron had a lot of unforced turnovers - kicking the ball out when there was no pressure, passing to a Buckeye instead of a Zip, playing into pressure, etc. Those are rudimentary errors that need to be remedied. It's sloppy and careless.

- It was good seeing Carlo Rittacio back. He probably should have started instead of only coming in at the last minute of the first half and playing the second half. I didn't see who it was that lost their mark on the Ohio State goal but if Carlo had been in that may not have happened.

- Colin Biros is missed and would make a difference on this team. He's a bigger loss than I thought that he would be. I'm glad that he's doing well at Syracuse.

- Will Jackson has developed into a really nice player. He plays with a lot of poise and is very solid.

- Diogo Pacheco has provided most of the offensive spark for the Zips lately and he is a pretty solid player but sometimes he tries to do too much. He could be even better.

- Akron needs to get better at holding up play when needed. Too often the attacker would be isolated and without helpers in a good position and rather than be patient, would try to force it.

- The Ohio State coach seemed to do a lot of complaining to the refs even though the Buckeyes usually seemed to get the benefit of the doubt. The refs seemed slightly "homerish" but that isn't an excuse for the outcome of the game. Akron had substantially more fouls.

- #12 for Ohio State was a pretty good player but was a bit of a crybaby and hothead. I thought that he and Malik Henry were going to come to blows at one point.

- I didn't realize that Matt Foldesy, a former Zip and Hoosier, was now an assistant at Ohio State until I saw him on the sideline.

- There were a lot of youth boys that kept chanting "number 8, number 8, number 8, number 8..." every time Ohio State's Channing Chasten even was anywhere near the ball. I guess that they were just having fun but it was highly annoying. Thankfully they ran out of steam early on.

- Jesse Owens Stadium is a nice facility. It would be great for a track meet but not a soccer match. It is a very sterile environment for a soccer game and not very intimate. A field like Akron's where the fans are much closer to the game is a much better experience. I've never liked watching soccer on a field with a track between the field and the stands.

BigRedFootie and fknbuflobo repped this.
  14. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Ohio State coach is Brian Maissoneuve.

15. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are correct, sir.

16. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zips had better come correct in Huntington WV!

18. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    With Maissoneuve as the Head Coach, Foldesy as an assistant coach, and Tanner Thompson as a volunteer assistant coach, the Buckeyes are taking on a Hoosier flair. It will be good for soccer in Ohio and in the Big 10 if they can get the Buckeyes built back up. I would also like to see some sort of a rivalry develop between Akron and Ohio State.

19. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    There isn't one now?

fknbuflobo repped this.
  20. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure abou
    Not sure what you have been watching the past 50 years! Akron owns a series advantage of 29-6-6 over Buckeyes. Does that appear to be some sort of rivalry? Many of those clashes have been in the NCAA Tournament. The I-71 Ohio Derby between Akron and Ohio State is alive and well! They took a few seasons off, but the rivalry is definitely on. No bout a doubt it!

21. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MRSH 2-0 AKR

It was not even that close.

22. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    "Edges"?

I mean, c'mon guys...

23. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I feel like the rivalry has waxed and waned.

In order to have a good rivalry, there should be parity between the sides. Akron has had such a big advantage over the Buckeyes lately that the rivalry does not seem to be that strong. For the rivalry to get better, Ohio State should get better, or Akron not be as good. Ideally, both teams are good. Unfortunately, the way it is looking this season, Ohio State got a bit better and Akron seems to be slipping.

My favorite collegiate pointyball game is Ohio State vs Michigan. It is a great rivalry. Over the past few years, though, it has been lopsided in Ohio State's favor. The rivalry is still there, but it has lost some of its luster. This season I expect the game to be a lot closer because Ohio State has a lousy defense and plays uninspired football and early on, Michigan looks good.

No, quite honestly, it's not a great rivalry. See my comments above. Having a 29-6-6 edge in wins is not close. There should be more parity between the sides, I think you answered your own question.

As far as where I've been the past 50 years? I've not even been alive that many years and probably didn't even care about soccer until I was in my early teens.;)
    I didn't see it and I'm glad that I didn't see it. If I had to guess, Akron's midfield was beaten up again and couldn't keep possession.

The best defense is a great offense that keeps the ball.

24. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. Edges. Like edged right between the eyes.