News: Aigner terminates contract

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by JasonMa, Jun 8, 2018.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

2. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A real shame but it's obvious that he wasn't a fit in Hudson's system AT ALL. There's at most 1 spot for a creative midfielder in his system, and he seems to prefer Nicholson because of his work rate.

3. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gilles Grimandi 2.0

At least this gives us enough salary room in the transfer window to make a meaningful signing.

4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *sigh* Nope:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/league/official-rules/mls-roster-rules-and-regulations

AlbertCamus, 22SteveD and COMtnGuy repped this.
  5. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's just empty speculation. We don't actually know what the terms of separation were.

Granted, the Rapids haven't done much to make us believe they wouldn't royally fv<k it up like that.

6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah but Aigner still had about $2 million coming to him between now and 2020. He's not walking away from that just to become a free agent. Barring another shoe dropping its a safe assumption that the Rapids paid him something to get out of the contract.

Sal Paradise repped this.
  7. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think we can really safely assume anything without knowing what the terms were.

8. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i would love to hear the back story on this. We all knew it was coming sooner than later. I'm sure fingers can be pointed all around. I just don't have the energy anymore to figure to who or what it at fault. These last 8 games has sucked every bit of Rapids Life out of me. At least Aigner gets a clean break. We don't. We have to continue to endure this nightmare even if admittedly, I've turned my head towards the Switchbacks more and more every week. I wish we could have dealt Aigner to another MLS team but international slots are at a premium so it's hard which I get. But now the Rapids are on hook for his termination - assuming a buyout happened - which hurts us in the transfer window. Ugh! This is a cluster******.

Maarten van 242, Andy126 and jayd8888 repped this.
  9. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He wasn't anywhere close to that bad! Aigner not only appeared in game, but had goals and an assist. That makes this situation more difficult because we all saw the potential. Grimandi was never even here.

When I think of bad FO decisions, there is still nothing that outdoes Gilles Grimandi.

It is my fondest hope there never will be.

SccrDon, kucsdat, JasonMa and 1 other person repped this.
  10. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    The sporting press is falling all over each other trying to get this story as we speak.

11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are now multiple reports from connected fans than players were calling Ainger out on his crap in the locker room, including at least one core member of our younger players. While Hudson and/or Smith have some blame for causing this situation it appears that a large part of the blame is Ainger's.

12. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    When a team is doing some due diligence on him, they likely query soccer boards and such to see how fan reactions are. This post may cost him some serious $$. Which may not be a bad thing if he isn't a good locker room presence.

(The response to Badji's 3rd goal appears to be an example, which we were wondering at the time. Also, how long has it been since that game and we were all so excited at the quality on the field!)

Andy126 repped this.
  13. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    He didn’t play Aigner before Nicholson was signed. Heck, Hudson played a totally incompetent McBean instead. I have no idea what happened in practice, but Hudson’s record to date shows he did not play this situation well.

JackSwaninCO repped this.
  14. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Maybe. What's "his crap"? I doubt Aigner's blameless, but if teammates were calling him out on not devoting himself to the crapola scheme the Rapids are pulling, or not devoting himself to the apparently Klinsman-like practices, I still don't know that I blame Aigner all that much for that. I'd want to know more about what he was doing.

He played hard last year even though by the time he got here the team was not going anywhere.

Maarten van 242 and rapidogordo repped this.
  15. GreatZar

GreatZar Member

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Mar 29, 1999
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To summarize the long MLS rules page:

Sounds like KSE is going to eat the buyout and the salary hit against the Rapids cap. At least we have a foreign spot opened up.

JasonMa repped this.
  16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also nope. Aigner got his green card this offseason.

17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Half assing it in practice. Also, reportedly, Hudson called him out in preseason during a game for not showing effort. He told Hudson that they were losing so he didn't care. Generally what I'm hearing is that he showed up to preseason with a huge entitlement complex and never gave a full effort to the team this year.

Again, all that said, that doesn't mean Hudson and Smith are blameless in this and we're hearing multiple stories but nothing from Aigner's end. Where's there's smoke though there's generally fire so I believe that Aigner certainly contributed to the problem.

Soaker888, Andy126 and m vann repped this.
  18. Sal Paradise

Sal Paradise BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 14, 2009
    Club:
    Jaguares de Chiapas FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is that Aigner was recruited using the 2016 Rapids, which gave the illusion of an up and coming team. I'm sure big promises were made. Then he appears in Denver and finds a team falling apart.

2018 comes and he realizes he's with the coach from hell, using a style that doesn't suit him and who expects him to run a marathon every game. The guy is a skill player, not a triathlete and he's pissed.

He can't just leave, since there's $2 mil coming his way. So he makes himself a pain, being careful not to say anything publicly, until the Rapids finally agree to buy him out. Not exactly professional but I can't say I blame him. Players talk, so I doubt the Rapids are going to have much luck recruiting in Germany for a while.

sambakid17, MrPerfectNot and GreatZar repped this.
  19. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Many things can be accomplished with money.

20. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Sachsen, AlbertCamus, jayd8888 and 2 others repped this.
  21. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rapids internationals and second seasons don't seem to mix recently.

SccrDon, JasonMa and 22SteveD repped this.
  22. sambakid17

sambakid17 Member

Nov 4, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Finally, someone got it right. This is EXACTLY what happened. He hated coaches style of play and with the decline of the season and less PT , it translated into him not caring as much at training sessions. I blame Hudson and the front office. They recruited guys that don't fit the system in which they want to play. How can you expect to win in an attacking system 3-5-2 with no real number 10 lol. This is elementary.

23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except, according to some reports, he was giving an entitled attitude and not caring in preseason. Before he had less PT and before the season turned into a dumpster fire.

Aigner is like the reverse Grmandi. When Grimandi flamed out everyone wanted to blame him when really it was a divided FO that led to the problems (the FO signed Grimandi when the head coach didn't want him). Here everyone wants to blame the FO when Aigner appears to have been the real problem.

Andy126 repped this.
  24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Andy126, UxSxAxfooty, jayd8888 and 2 others repped this.
  25. wormhole

wormhole Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Westminster, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The article also reiterares Aigner's contract was dissolved, not bought out. Presumably, his contract was not guaranteed. Therefore, the Rapids can use the freed money this year.