Agent says Casey staying at Mainz

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by m vann, Jun 29, 2005.

1. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.yanks-abroad.com/content.php?mode=news&id=000873

Interesting read that contradicts anything we had previously thought about his situation. Reading between the lines a bit, I don;t like the fact everything has been wishy-washy from all parties. Sounds like it could turn sour eventuallyif lack of communication occurs again.

2. ohk4

ohk4 Member

Jun 22, 2003
    I have a similar take on the situation. It will be especially bad if he doesn't perform well at the Gold Cup. In that case, he will just be a tired player who missed all of preseason and two UEFA qualis.

3. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Its really hard to say what the truth is.

If Casey's representatives/Casey said from the beginning, "I am accepting the invitation to play in the Gold Cup, but then I will return immediately after for (resumption) of pre-season training". Then, Mainz should be/should have been OK with that. The Gold Cup is a FIFA-sanctioned event, and they are dutibound to release players for it.

There really is only one sticking point: Did Casey want vacation AFTER the Gold Cup? If he did, then I understand the club not being happy. I don't think they had to go to these lengths however, but they would have a point. If Casey never requested the vacation in the first place (post Gold Cup), then Mainz was wrong, IMO, in trying to force him not to play in the Gold Cup.

For his image sake, Casey shoulda got his side of the story out a couple weeks ago. He let Mainz control the story, and it looked like Casey (wanted) the post-Gold Cup vacation..

4. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    For the record, we should note the Cherundolo and Keller are both playing Gold Cup, and neither of their teams have put up a public stink- and statistics tell you that both of those players have been bigger parts of their team than Casey this past year.

5. todd11

todd11 Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Berlin, Germany--
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, and neither of those players requested a vacation in addition to the Gold Cup, when their team was beginning the biggest thing they had ever been involved in, ie. the UEFA cup qualifying. completely different situation. conor and his agent effed up. or maybe they just aren't commited to the club.

and i hope it doesn 't happen, but i expect him to be roundly whistled for it. bad situation, brought on by either conor or his agent.

6. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Well, I agree with you. IF Conor requested a vacation post-Gold Cup THEN he/agent were at fault. But have you seen anything of that sort anywhere.

All I ever saw printed was the Mainz version of it, and they didn't make clear if the 'vacation' was before the Gold Cup or after (or at least they left some room for doubt).

7. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    All I saw was the vacation objection.
    But if it is really an objection to the Gold Cup, it may not be in line with FIFA law, but it's hardly bizarre. How many teams balk at letting folks leave for the African Cup of Nations (a much better tourney)? Until fans actually care about the Gold Cup, teams will have a decent point when questioning it's importance (although, to be fair, it is in July now, which is much, much better). and, to be honest, I did enjoy the Confed cup.

8. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Maybe someone can clarify, but it looked like (original articles) that Mainz had a problem with Conor having a vacation and the Gold Cup off, but not necessarily the Gold Cup AND THEN vacation. (big difference in my opinion).

I would find it bizarre if Conor/agent asked for a vacation AFTER the Gold Cup. That woulda meant he would report back in August. I guess its hard to know the real facts, but Casey PR team shoulda got out in front of this early- they've let Mainz define the argument..

9. ohk4

ohk4 Member

Jun 22, 2003
    apparently it is not an active argument anymore, though it could resurface. I think the best thing to do now is to see how Conor does at the Gold Cup and to see how he does when he returns to Mainz.