After all these recent threads, I guess the Group Stage playoff format is the best option

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by MRschizoid21, Dec 5, 2011.

1. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So a system should be established that

provides home field advantage
    isn't too short in terms of games played
    enables any 2 teams to meet in the final
    counts a win as a win

So let's combine a bunch of different ideas into a simple format

top 5 in each conference qualify

Wild Card Round

E5 @ E4/W5 @ W4
    winners advance to group stage

Group Stage

group 1: E1, E2, W3, W4/W5
    group 2: W1, W2, E3, E4/E5

Because we love to save on travel costs we have
    day 1: wc @ 3, 2 @ 1
    day 2: wc @ 2, 3 @ 1
    day 3: wc @ 1, 3 @ 2

First 2 matches don't have to be played on the same day,
    but 3rd to be played at the same time.

Semifinal

2nd place finishers @ 1st place finishers
    (if some 3rd, 4th, or 5th place team tops their group, they deserve it)

Final

Neutral site
    I'm not convinced that home-field deal is a good idea.
    Rotate among 3 cities Los Angeles, New York, Vancouver
    The first 2 for the media reasons, Vancouver for its location AND dome.

Big Chil in Denver repped this.
  2. Jewelz510

Jewelz510 Member+

Feb 19, 2011
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This has been proposed numerous times, and one problem, among others, that is always brought up is the television scheduling. 17 games squeezed into the tight window MLS has right now wouldn't work. Plus, the third group games being played at the same time is an issue. I understand why it's necessary, but would ESPN want to broadcast an MLS match on both 1 and 2 at the same time? You'd be splitting the already meager ratings.

And then there's the issue of the possibility of meaningless group games between teams whose fates have already been determined.

3. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know it's been gone over a bunch of times over the years, but I couldn't find a thread to post it in, and I was kind of rushing it.

As for the 3rd group stage games, one could be on an ESPN channel, other on NBCS network.

Mods may merge into a thread where it fits.
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1820156&page=6

4. mls2010

mls2010 Member

Aug 6, 2005
    I like the group stage playoff format for its simplicity and its duration. Personally, I like a longer playoff. I also think over time the best team will come out just like in the other major sports. We can't have a best of 7 game series so group stage is the best soccer form of that.

I am not all that worried about meaningless games because we have meaningless games already in the current playoff format (second game after a first game blowout). I also think we think too much about the television schedule. We had an MLS Cup at 9pm (ET) on a Sunday. The tv schedule is going to be where space is available.

Saying all that, MLS seems pretty set on this current format.

5. Goforthekill

Goforthekill Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Kot Matroskin

Kot Matroskin Member+

Aug 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    I like this much better than what we have now.

As for the Final, if the site is to be neutral, I would prefer a single, warm weather city where there is no current MLS team, but is within easy driving distance of many MLS fans and would be an attractive holiday spot: San Diego.

7. Jewelz510

Jewelz510 Member+

Feb 19, 2011
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Las Vegas.

8. Kot Matroskin

Kot Matroskin Member+

Aug 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Obviously, I'd love for it to be in my current backyard, but Sam Boyd has artificial turf and I think for a permanent location in warm weather, there's no reason not to choose a natural grass venue. Plus, I think it's a little bit more risky attendance-wise to have it in Vegas because I don't know if locals would care about MLS and it's a four hour drive from LA as opposed to a two hour drive. It might be worth a try though.

9. evilcherry

evilcherry New Member

Nov 19, 2011
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Any...Intelligent reasoning behind this big No?

I like this format, though I would just drop the wildcards, semis, and swap that game to 1@WC/4. Having 3 games at home is just too much of a home advantage. Feel that teams would also be happy with at most 4 games and guaranteed 3 games at playoff.

At least, let the away team sell more tickets, if enough fans would bother turn up...

MRschizoid21 repped this.
  10. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wouldn't be the worst idea to look at what the NHL is doing. 4 Conferences of 5 teams (when we hit 20). Play everyone home/away, but your conference rivals another time home/away. 31 games in the regular season. Playoffs start with #1 and #2 in each Conference, and then the Conference Champions play one another

11. jvilla07

jvilla07 Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Houston + NOLA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    YEAH RIGHT! More like hell NO regarding the last part! I am not against rotational/neutral Finals but there are neutral sites and then there are "neutral" sites. Really just those 3 sites?

xtomx repped this.
  12. Jewelz510

Jewelz510 Member+

Feb 19, 2011
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be a 46 game regular season, wouldn't it?

13. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, because I can't do math, and the idea is no longer anything close to good. Carry on without my suggestion

14. clebo99

clebo99 Member

May 28, 2006
    I really like the idea of having a "group" playoff system. The only problem (as mentioned) is the travel and how you would handle home vs. away games.

Have 8 teams make the playoffs. 2 groups of 4. Top 2 in each advance to semi finals.....etc...

OR, maybe just have the one group after some playoffs and the team with the most points in the group wins the championship. This is how the USA won the olympic gold in 1980. There wasn't a playoff, but a round robin tourney. Most likely, even the last game would always be significant. That would be 6 games for a 4 team RR. Have a game a night for 2 games, take one day break. The whole thing would take 9 days.

Crazy idea, but why not try something new/different. If it blows, change it back the next year.

Lucho305 repped this.
  15. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    I'm not in this forum much -- does the modified Page playoff system get any support? That's basically what they use in Aussie rules football.

Benefits per seed:

1 and 2. Must lose twice to be knocked out before the final. With a win in first round, can skip second round. Home games in first and second games. (With MLS Cup now at a home ground, #1 may have extra benefit of guaranteed home field if it makes final.)

3 and 4. Must lose twice to be knocked out before the final. With a win in first round, can skip second round. Home game in second game.

5 and 6. Home games in first round.

7 and 8. You're in, and that's the only advantage you get.

16. evilcherry

evilcherry New Member

Nov 19, 2011
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Why complicate things so much when a round robin (and better still, a balanced schedule) can satisfactorily solve the majority of them?

17. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes.
    NY recently had coverage in the local media for the recent All-Star game that eclipsed their run to the MLS Cup a few years ago. Because it was nearby, the buzz was created. I think that by keeping it along witht the other 2 can help gaining traction in big media markets.

1@WC/4 sounds good. At least one road game for everyone is good, and for the highest seed, it's the worst team. Let's add it in.

18. jvilla07

jvilla07 Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Houston + NOLA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes, your proposed Final location idea would be worse than what we had and what is proposed by the league so the WORST IDEA EVER! So ALMOST ALL teams would never be able to bid or win (the SS) to host the Final. GREAT IDEA, again.

19. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're not the AFL, just to let you know.

20. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    been thinking about this again and a modification presented

Wild Card Round
    E5 @ E4/W5 @ W4
    winners advance to group stage

Group Stage
    group 1: E1, E2, W3, W4/W5
    group 2: W1, W2, E3, E4/E5

Because we love to save on travel costs we have
    day 1: wc @ 3, 2 @ 1
    day 2: wc @ 2, 3 @ 1
    day 3: 1 @ wc, 3 @ 2

First 2 matches don't have to be played on the same day,
    but 3rd to be played at the same time.

Semifinal
    2nd place finishers @ 1st place finishers
    (if some 3rd, 4th, or 5th place team tops their group, they deserve it)

Final
    hosted by highest seeded team

Tiebreakers
    In the group stage, if 2 teams are even on points, positioning is to be determined by
    1. Head - to - head result
    2. Overall group goal difference
    3. Higher seed (1 seed over everyone, 2 over 3 and 4, 3 over 4)

if 3 or 4 teams are even on points, the only tiebreaker is previous seeding

For the final, the team with the highest remaining seed number will host.

---
    Highlights (to me)
    -practically every team has a home game
    -emphasizes doing as well in the regular season as possible
    -eliminates aggregate series
    -allows any 2 teams to meet for the title, no arbitrary regional split

21. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Screw travel costs .... why wouldn't the WC be playing @ the 1 seed ? Hell, you don't have the "worst" qualifying team going to the 1 seed at all.

What ?

22. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I forgot to edit that line out. haha

I don't think there's any need to give a team 3 home games, that's too much of an advantage, as stated by someone else.
    The way it breaks down is:

1 seed: 2 home games, road game against the weakest seed
    2 seed: 2 home games, road game against 1 seed (which is scheduled to be the 1st game, and then they have the 2 lowest coming in to, theoretically, feast on)
    3 seed: 1 home game, against the lowest seeded team
    4/5 seed: 1 home game, against the highest seeded team

Big Chil in Denver repped this.
  23. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know of any country with postseason playoffs that include a group stage, but I wouldn't have a problem with that format. One thing I wouldn't like is if the 1 seed didn't do well and 3 seed at 2 seed played consecutive games, one to end the group and one in the Semifinals. Considering you're willing to mix conferences, after the wild card games why not seed all the clubs from 1 to 8 and:

1, 4, 5, and 8 in one group
    2, 3, 6, and 7 in one group

24. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too much of an advantage ? We do a thing called "home field advantage" here in the US. Along with that, it certainly isn't the "too much of an advantage" as one might think. The point though, is that the team that finished best deserves any and all advantages. The reward for finishing first is having to play away to the team that has nothing to lose because they're glad just to be there ? That's something called "setting them up for failure" in regards to the top seed.

He who finishes last and is lucky to even be in the picture should have the hardest road and least convenience.

25. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering the Super Bowl is held at a neutral site and that 7 game series here are spilt 4-3, unlike say Japan, where they have series held all at one site, I'd say it's pretty decent.