AFL Finals thread, 2008 season {R}

Discussion in 'Rugby & Aussie Rules' started by babytiger2001, Sep 2, 2008.

1. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Western Bulldogs All-Australian Adam Cooney is suffering from a double hit of a flu virus and a minor knee injury, but assistant coach Leon Cameron insists that Cooney will be set to play on Friday night against Geelong.

And speaking of the Cats, Geelong captain Tom Harley defended his side's mental approach in the wake of allegations from Bulldogs star Jason Akermanis that the defending premiers are "too cocky".

2. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Pot, meet kettle.

3. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Sports need characters like Akermanis, though.

4. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly what I was thinking a few days ago.

And while I doubt that Matty Scarlett made the comments Akermanis alleged over the weekend, I can't say that Akermanis' Brisbane Lions triple Premiership-winning sides weren't without their moments of a swagger, as well.

Geelong have that certain mojo about them right now, and have for the last couple of years.

Completely agreed.

I know Jason Akermanis offline, from having worked at functions he's been a guest at, and he is pretty full on. Which isn't a bad thing -- he's a pleasure to be around, and very entertaining.

It's fun working a room together with him -- and in our own ways! :D

5. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Wednesday night's news...

Geelong have already scratched Paul Chapman from contention to play against the Western Bulldogs on Friday night, even despite the standout half-forward flanker coming through unscathed at training yesterday. The club's brains trust have cited Chapman's history with soft-tissue injuries to his ailing hamstring, and have opted to hold him out should the Cats get to the Grand Final again.

6. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Summary:
    • While the Western Bulldogs have submitted an unchanged team from the squad that beat Sydney last week, Geelong have made a pair of compulsory changes with James Kelly and David Wojcinski coming in for the injured duo of Paul Chapman and Brett Prismall.
    • Meanwhile, both Hawthorn and St. Kilda have named players -- defender Trent Croad and midfielder Luke Ball, respectively -- that may not necessarily play, due to injuries.

8. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And my tips:

Geelong
    Hawthorn

One need not be a brain surgeon to figure these out -- but having said that, in the "upsets" department, St. Kilda are much more likely to beat Hawthorn than the Western Bulldogs would be to beat Geelong.

9. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Geelong v Western Bulldogs

Hawthorn v St. Kilda

can't really see either being an upset. I wonder what odds you could get on a Bulldogs v St Kilda final.

10. bcwildcatjohn

bcwildcatjohn New Member

Feb 16, 2003
    Florida
    Geelong v Western Bulldogs: I know I've gone with a gut feeling twice this season and was rewarded. I know this makes no sense in the grand scheme of things, but I think Western Bulldogs shocks Geelong. Western Bulldogs

Hawthorn v St. Kilda: Hawthorn

11. ChrisH

ChrisH New Member

May 26, 2004
    Fresno, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll go with the majority and tip Geelong and Hawthorn. I don't really see either game being very close, either.

12. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Result from the first preliminary final between Geelong and the Western Bulldogs, at the MCG:
    [result]Geelong 12.11 (83)
    Western Bulldogs 7.12 (54)[/result]

13. Iaco

Iaco Member

Apr 1, 2006
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I hate those Cats:mad:

14. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the second Grand Final combatant is now known, after the second preliminary final at the MCG between Hawthorn and St. Kilda:
    [result]Hawthorn 18.10 (118)
    St. Kilda 9.10 (64)[/result]

15. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tipping results, for the preliminary final round -- and going with the conventional wisdom rewarded a lot of people (sort of like picking Weekend Hussler in the 6th at Caulfield today)...

el-capitano -- 2
    Spartacus -- 2
    RichardL -- 2
    babytiger2001 -- 2
    ChrisH -- 2
    bcwildcatjohn -- 1
    mrsbabytiger2001 -- DNP

16. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the aggregate totals, our new finals leaderboard, heading into next weekend's Grand Final:

el-capitano -- 6
    Spartacus -- 6
    RichardL -- 6
    ChrisH -- 6
    babytiger2001 -- 5
    mrsbabytiger2001 -- 4
    bcwildcatjohn -- 3

And as we head into the Grand Final Week thread, this competition is indeed going to be decided by the tie-breaker, picking the margin of the game itself.

17. Iaco

Iaco Member

Apr 1, 2006
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Hawks can win it i reckon, anyone know there current odds? wouldn't mind having a punt.

18. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me get the new thread started first, and we can get into that. :)

That's an angle I wouldn't mind updating each day leading up to Saturday, as well.

19. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Grand Final thread is up and running out of the blocks. Discuss the big game there. :)

20. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Just finished watching both prelim finals (finally posted on Aussie Sport TV)...

Did anyone feel like they were in the middle of a Hitchcock movie in the Friday final? I've seen gulls around plenty of times (how many venues in San Francisco are thick with them?). But I've never seen them become so ingrained in the action. Generally they stay above the fray (or hover like vultures on the stadium roof until after the humans have left the premises).

And what's up with Gary Ablett Jnr.'s haircut? Tribute to Paul Chapman?

21. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I'm in a unique position to comment on this, seeing my day job is only about a 10-minute train ride east of the CBD, and the MCG...

About 90 minutes before the start of the match, we had some massive showers and thunderstorms, including a lightning strike or two.

Seagulls around here tend to roost after storms of that nature, and man, did they really rally around the MCG. Made viewing at times a tough act.

Could've been a tribute to Tom Harley, too; he's also very follically challenged. :D

Nah, Junior's been sporting that look all year. My theory is that since he's started losing his hair much like his father did, except worse. And along those lines, he figured that -- much like Michael Jordan did, in the third season of his NBA career -- what the hell, might as well take all of it off.