AFC WCQ Round 3 Group B

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by almango, Jul 1, 2021.

1. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Turkey, Azerbaijan and Kazakhstan would be nice additions too.

2. HTCONEM8

HTCONEM8 Member+

AC Milan
    May 16, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Kazakhstan was once with the AFC, but then joined UEFA.
    I haven't seen them doing wonders in Europe since joining the UEFA, but might cause some problems to Asia's elite if they decided to return, maybe doing a better job than their Uzbek neighbors in like... not choking when it matters.

3. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    They would have to improve quite a bit to be a threat to Asia's elite. Based on recent results they would struggle to make an Asian Cup. Russia and Turkey being in AFC would shake things up a bit, but I can't see that ever happening.

4. al ittihady

al ittihady Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    With WC expanding in upcoming editions, I would definitely expect some moves from Euro to Asia for the teams who struggle to qualify from the Euro.

But looking at the logistics issues espcially travelling between Russia to other Asian countries, I highly doubt any they would be any move

5. AIL1998

AIL1998 Member+

May 27, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know you are going to hate my prediction. My honest prediction is that you will not win any of your next two games. If you prove me wrong and win your home game versus Japan, I think you will also win your last game. IMO you either win both or do not win any of your next two games.

Regard Japan, IMO they should avoid loss at all costs against Australia. If they do not, their only hope will be China.

Regard KSA, they should only focus on getting the three points versus China at the moment.

At the moment, my prediction is that KSA will finish first and Japan second.

By the way, how optimistic are you for the upcoming matches?

6. AIL1998

AIL1998 Member+

May 27, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #206 AIL1998, Mar 16, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2022
    Egypt, Georgia, and Armenia would be nice additions as well although I do not see it happening especially Egypt.

7. AIL1998

AIL1998 Member+

May 27, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will be interesting to see how the format of next Asia World Cup Qualifiers will be. It does not make sense to have the current format because of WC expansion.

8. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I'm quite confident that we will be in the playoff with the Group A 3rd placed team. I'm also reasonably confident that with this already decided by the time we play Saudi Arabia that we are a good chance to win that game. Can't see the Saudi's slipping up against China and Japan would be happy to leave Sydney with a point and settle things in the Vietnam game. Of course I've been wrong before,

9. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    As we have 8 teams qualifying if they wanted it to be done quickly they could just have the first two stages and the 8 round 2 group winners go through. The second placed teams could then have a 8 team knockout series to decide the playoff team.

The problem doing it like this means the top teams wont play each other in WCQ, although it could free up space for a nations league in the calendar where these matchups could take place.

AIL1998 repped this.
  10. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Only two significant Australian squad changes (others are unlikely to figure much in the matches unless we lose to Japan when Arnold may give some who haven't played for the socceroos yet others match time). Aaron Mooy has Covid and has been omitted. Bruno Fornaroli has been selected in the squad after recently obtaining Australian citizenship. I really can't see the point of picking an uncapped 34 year old striker for the squad unless you intend to play him so I expect to see him on the park at some stage.

11. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  12. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    More changes to Australia's squad as Kye Rowles is ruled out after contracting covid and Tom Rogic is out after sustaining an injury in his last match with Celtic. Replacements are experienced Sydney FC centre back Alex Wilkinson who will join the squad for the home game only and Kuwait based Ryan McGowan who will be in the squad for the second game. Rowles was a newcomer to the Socceroo squad having formally played in youth and Olympic teams. Rogic will be missed as he would likely have played a significant role in both games. We haven't drafted in another midfielder. Australi's coach Graham Arnold was fined $25000 by the FFA for breaching covid isolation rules (he took his dog for a walk).

13. al ittihady

al ittihady Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    As Australia vs Japan will be early kick-off, KSA NT fate will be decided much before there against China & hopefully not it will impact there performance.

My Predictions -

Australia 1-2 Japan
    Vietnam 2-0 Oman
    China PR 0-1 KSA

14. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Australia Japan kicks off with a very wet pitch and rainy conditions. Early days but Japan already look comfortably in control.

15. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Half time Australia 0 Japan 0

I think Japan have had the better of play so far but there have been chances at both ends. Japan has hit the woodwork twice, Australia had the ball in the net from a corner to see it ruled out for a foul on the keeper, and Mitch Duke got a free header which he couldn't put away. Could easily have been 4-2 to Japan with the chances on offer but it remains scoreless.

Kamtedrejt and Iranian Monitor repped this.
  16. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I didn't get to see all of the 1st half, but it seems I got to see all the exciting parts (from min 10-40). The parts I saw, which included the disallowed goal for Australia, Japan hitting the crossbar twice, and several other chances on both ends, was pretty good for a neutral.

17. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Australia 0 Japan 2

Pretty disappointing way to end the game for us. First time we've lost a live home qualifier since 1981. Congratulations to Japan and Saudi Arabia who both qualify with this result. I guess we have finished in the right spot as the 3rd best team in the group. Hopefully we can do a bit better in the playoffs, but I'm not hopeful.

18. HTCONEM8

HTCONEM8 Member+

AC Milan
    May 16, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Congrats to both Japan and KSA.
    Better luck next time to Australia and I hope they win the Asian playoff since I think they're better suited to face the CONMEBOL represnetative than the UAE.

19. al ittihady

al ittihady Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Regardless of the result between Australia vs Japan , KSA NT should go all in vs China & Australia which will lead them to 1st place.

Since Australia have 3rd place confirmed, I don't think they will be sending there first squad players to KSA.

20. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    I was very impressed by Japan today. Today was not only the proof they recovered from their bad start in this final round. They are back. On top of Asia.
    I thought they always had the control over Australia on their turf. Unlucky to not be up already by halftime.

Japan's stock has risen for me today.

21. HTCONEM8

HTCONEM8 Member+

AC Milan
    May 16, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Excuse my ignorance but are there any incentives to top the group other than bragging rights?

22. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Not really. Japan will be in pot 3 pretty much. Not much chance to move up a pot.

23. al ittihady

al ittihady Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    China 1-1 KSA

KSA wasteful in the final third. Should have won by comfortable margin. China scored with only chance they got in the match.

24. morimotomania93

Japan
    Jan 22, 2019
    I had predicted this result between China and Saudi Arabia

25. morimotomania93

Japan
    Jan 22, 2019
    Congratulations to Japan and Saudi Arabia! I'm really sorry for Australia, I really hope they can qualify for the world cup.