AFC WCQ Round 3 Group B

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by almango, Jul 1, 2021.

1. HTCONEM8

HTCONEM8 Member+

AC Milan
    May 16, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I hope too. Honestly, I prefer Australia to the UAE. I believe they have a better chance of winning against CONMEBOL representative, more than UAE.

2. hammad_friend

hammad_friend Member

Dec 26, 2005
    Dubai, Karachi
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Congrats to Japan and Saudi Arabia.
    I haven't seen such a horrible game by Australia on own home ground, they hardly controlled the game. Likewise, Saudi Arabia were wasteful with all the possession against China yet, the sloppy play by defender let the entire team lose 2 points.

Anyhow, not sure if Australia can progress with such play but who knows the return of experienced players might give them the edge.

3. HTCONEM8

HTCONEM8 Member+

AC Milan
    May 16, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I truly miss Australia's best generation IMHO, the likes of Viduka, Schwarzer, Tim Cahill, Harry Kewell, Aloisi, Emerton, Bresciano...etc

4. Bluewings21

Bluewings21 Member

Suwon Samsung Bluewings
    Apr 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Aussie's disallowed goal made big difference IMHO

5. Live_Football23

Real Madrid
    Iraq
    Dec 7, 2020
    It’s not confirmed it’s UAE, and I think Iraq has a better chance than UAE to finish 3rd. UAE looked putrid last night, and I don’t see them beating Korea. I think Iraq-Syria will decide weather the UAE or Iraq will get the 3rd spot.

Your point still stands, I don’t think either Iraq/UAE are better teams than Australia, although the playoff being 1 game played in Qatar gives them an advantage over Australia.

HTCONEM8 repped this.
  6. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Just some notes to close off the group. All opinions expressed are my own, given for free and worth every cent.

Saudi Arabia 23

Won the group and never at any stage looked like they may not qualify. I think they are better and more solid than recent Saudi teams I've seen.

Japan 22

Had a shaky start but as the group went on started to show their class. They could be just as good as any previous Japanese team.

Australia 15

Started the group with 9 points from 3 matches but could only manage 1 win and 3 draws from the last 7 matches. Opposite to Japan as the further the group went the quality of their play deteriorated. The big start meant it unlikely they wouldn't finish in the top 3. Need to improve to be a threat in the playoffs and hold on to tier one status within Asia. Playing more like a good tier 2 team at the moment as only getting one point from the matches against the top 2 suggests.

Oman 14

Started with an away win over Japan but losses to Saudi Arabia and Australia and a draw to China left them off the pace at the half way mark. Winning their last two games brought them up a lot closer to Australia but the draw with Australia in the 3rd last game saw their chances disappear.

China 6

Started poorly I thought and while they improved they weren't really a threat at any stage

Vietnam 4

First time they've reached this stage and while they fought hard the lack of experience at the higher level showed.

al ittihady and Iranian Monitor repped this.