Alert: AFC @ Tottenham March 3, Sunday, 10:30 am

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Romfordray, Feb 23, 2013.

1. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    To be fair, that might make sense when said about this team. But multiple teams over a period of several seasons, when you can evaluate multiple sets of formations, tactics, and the like? The only constant variable over that period has been the coaching staff, which is why that's where the blame goes.

2. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    it's nominally a 442 diamond, or a 4411, with pires given a free roll to attack.

either way, it's not the 4231/433 we play now.

3. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah we don't have anyone now anywhere near the level of: Henry, Bergkamp, Viera. And you could probably add Cole, Campbell & Pires to that list too.

RVP in the last 1-2 years has been arguably at that level. But I think he was the only one.

Fabregas was close but started to implode near the end of his time here, both physically & psychologically.

Wilshere has GREAT potential but he's not quite there yet. Cazorla is very very good but not in the same class as the legends above. Everyone else we've got looks to be a rung or two down from them.

So, yes the average player quality is lower. But I think the coaching is also a problem, with its apparent rigidity & reluctance to adapt.

Sadly I think we have compounding problems at the moment.

4. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I honestly think we don't really know what we have with this squad. The Arsenal teams of the past were better in attack, for sure, but I'm not convinced this team can't be as good defensively with proper coaching and training. Virtually the only goals that this team concedes are horror shows.

5. Scally

Scally Member+

Aug 29, 2006
    Rep. of Ireland
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Racist? He fukking loves bananas!

[​IMG]

Excellency and lamb repped this.
  6. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    would it be racist if a black dude looked really simian and someone photochopped that?

7. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    try it....and good luck!

(ie. yes, because no matter why you did it, it would be)

8. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    imagine we wern't a 'selling' club with a progressive manager, our tactics and team is usually below par

9. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I haven't read this thread so I don't know if this has been posted yet, but if you haven't seen it yet, watch it.

pookspur repped this.
  10. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Here's the problem. You have players who are less talented and have less footballing intelligence. IMHO coaches put into place a gameplan that provides structure within which very talented and football savvy players are able to improvise due to cohesion, intelligence, in game ability to adjust, and familiarity with each other. We lack all of that. So of course it looks like a chinese firedrill.

Arsene instructed all the players from the time he got here the same way, he just works with lesser players or younger players.

Perfect example of youth/lack of experience/lack of football brain which doesn't mean they're dumb just haven't been able to rewire their brain with enough data based on experience etc.

Rafael totally ignores Cristiano making a run behind him and ball watches. I'm guessing that a more experienced defender would've checked quickly and tracked Cristiano.

It was really an Arsenal type of mistake from Rafael

11. SaratogaGooner

Nov 23, 2009
    Clifton Park NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My god. Kill the thread already!

12. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    so, who is the sacrificial "new matchday thread starter" for the bayern return leg?

13. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
  15. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I liked Vermaelen until I read that zonalmarking piece that shredded his positional discipline.

16. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could we sell him to Barca this summer? :)

Romfordray repped this.
  17. BTV802

BTV802 BigSoccer Supporter

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Do the right thing and let him go back to Ajax on a free transfer.

18. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    How about a refund?

deaner1971 and charlie15 repped this.
  19. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    FYP

NorthBank repped this.
  20. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry to make such a late post to this "historical" thread but I just watched that Gary Neville analysis (thanks for finding that Llama!) and wondered if we should forward it to Wenger & Bould. Seriously.

Seems hard to argue the faults Gary finds with Vermaelen (bad positional judgments), Monreal (bad communication & decisions) and our general strategy of pusshing up a high line.

He gives Monreal the benefit of the doubt (being new to the Prem and perhaps not confident in his English) but the implication about Vermaelen is that he's not a good enough CB for us.

Interesting that he doesn't seem to make any points about our chosen zonal system.

And I'm left thinking that GN might make a damn good assistant manager for coaching a defense.

21. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    he has...PLENTY of times! if there's one thing neville detests, it's zonal marking.
    he is also a coach for england at present.

22. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yeah, I forgot about his England coaching.

He seems to garner respect. He seems smart. He doesn't like zonal marking (so you say), so...

Maybe we could hire him? :eek:

Obviously I'm not one to hold grudges against former foes!

23. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assistant coaching doesn't matter if the head coach supercedes their judgement. I don't think assistants at AFC make a difference at all.

24. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I was being purposely ambigous about whether we would hire him as assistant or manager. ;)

Yes of course he's totally untested and has virtually no coaching pedigree, but I like what I hear from him.

And Bandwagoner I agree that our assistant coaches seem a bit ineffectual, marginalized, stifled, whatever you may want to call it.

25. goonermaui

goonermaui Arsenal No Ka 'Oi

May 12, 2006
    Lahaina Maui
    lamb repped this.