AFC Teams at the World Cup

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Iranian Monitor, Jun 19, 2022.

1. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Iran will either enjoy great success and advance (and more) or will have a humiliating World Cup. Given all that Iran's team and players are being put through by those who want to see it fail miserably, I see no in-between options.

Incidentally, Mehdi Taremi made the following predictions about Iran's Group B results:
    England 1 Iran 1
    Wales 0 Iran 1
    Iran 2 USA 0

Kamtedrejt repped this.
  2. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Yes, I agree.

In my predictions "I played it safe" and gave them four points while still not picking them to advance.

I didn't want to look a like a fool if I had predicted them to place rock bottom with 0 points and they would have proved me otherwise.

3. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I dont see usa beating iran in this part of the world. At most usa will tie iran. Its simple respect and political awareness.

4. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Iran has the motivation

5. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Usa will play to win. Iran will be fighting for something more that just winning. So i give iran the edge

6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    AFC teams at World Cup? Not good.

Cosmin10 and Every Four Years repped this.
  7. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Yeah not any good. But still Japan perharps can do something, same with Korea.

8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yikes! Minus 6 goal difference after two matches. And that's with two very lucky breaks from VAR.

Cosmin10, mfw13 and Every Four Years repped this.
  9. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Which is what several of us were arguing all summer by analyzing the historical data.....

BocaFan, unclesox and Cosmin10 repped this.
  10. Bluewings21

Bluewings21 Member

Suwon Samsung Bluewings
    Apr 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Mehdi Taremi became the first AFC player to ever score multiple goals in a single WC final game.

11. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Pretty ordinary start for AFC teams. Two more up tonight and neither is expected to get anything from their games.

12. Radu Razvan

Radu Razvan Member+

Mar 1, 2013
    Bucharest, Romania
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    But you know sport is not like this. France has injury worries. Australia has their chance to stay close to them

13. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Saudi shock the world.

14. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Soft PK against them, and they still win, lol.

vancity eagle repped this.
  15. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Japan will do next

16. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    It's amazing the variability of score line in this sport. Saudi vs Argentina was a repeat of the Iran England match in terms of stats such as possession and chances created, yet one ends 6-2 with England converting 95% of their chances, and the other ends with Saudi have 2 chances 2 goals and Argentina missing all their chances with a bunch of offside goals. Although Saudi is a traditional rival to Iran this is good for AFC overall, congrats to Saudi. Hopefully Iran will bounce back against Wales and USA and Japan/Korea/Australia put in decent performances.

Ozora repped this.
  17. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Saudi play a very risky highline. 3 offside goals, one of them is very questionable. If Arg led 2-0 then it would be similiar to Iran game vs England.

Australia play well first but France are way out of their league.

Japan today, i have high expection.

18. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    In the first half, the Saudis used the high press/offside trap almost to perfection in lieu of defending in numbers. All the offside goals were offside but one was very close. The strategy was risky; there is no guarantee it will payoff; from my vantage point Di Maria in particular was often inattentive or lazy staying a bit behind the Saudi defense in many sequences that killed options for Argentina to split open the Saudi high press. But at the end credit where credit is due. The Saudis did very well while Iran (for largely understandable reasons, much of it having more to do with politics than football) did not, using a very different tactical approach than Saudi Arabia. Queiroz has never learned or understood how to teach his teams to defend using a high line and the offside trap to reduce the size of the pitch. Renard on the other hand qualified Morocco to WC18 without conceding a goal using that tactic.

Kamtedrejt and Bluewings21 repped this.
  19. Bluewings21

Bluewings21 Member

Suwon Samsung Bluewings
    Apr 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Herve Renard outcoached Lionel Scaloni to simply put.
    I think Argentina did not prepare for such highly risky approach deployed by Renard by any mean. That was evident after three goals got called off for offside. The Argentine players started pressing panic button and became clueless. Without legit aerial threat that can keep the Saudi defense apart(i.e. Olivier Giroud), things got more difficult and complicated for Messi and co. Combined with willingness to fight until the end demonstrated by his players, Renard's excellent tactical deployment and adjustment paid off.

Iranian Monitor repped this.
  20. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Seem right.

21. KingOno

KingOno Member

Japan
    Aug 15, 2022
    Well done Asia so far. Japan and saudi Arabia won. I think Iran could have got a much better result without the political and social unrest. Only Australia was a bit disappointing against France but Australia defeated the 5th of South America during the playoffs to prove the worth of Asian football.

Lets see what South Korea can do

22. morimotomania93

Japan
    Jan 22, 2019
    Iran had the misfortune to have a political context in the middle of the World Cup. I still see them 2nd in this group.

persianfootball repped this.
  23. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Vamos Iran.

24. mattypark

mattypark Member

Oct 23, 2004
  25. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Look like Asia will rise this time:thumbsup:

Kamtedrejt and Iranian Monitor repped this.