AEG, SJState, and a stadium in a pear tree

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by HalaMadrid, May 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    I don't have a link you can go to w/o paid registration, but in the feature the Sports Business Journal did on the Home Depot Center this week, there was mention that AEG is currently in discussions with San Jose State about a HDC-esque business setup/stadium for the Quakes on their campus.

Just figured it was worth mentioning.

2. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    <salivating for more information>

3. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

West Bromwich Albion/RBNY/PSG/Gamba Osaka/Sac Republic
    United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A Question for the Spartans out there (SJSU students & alumni)...

I've only been on the SJSU campus a few times. Anyone know where on the current campus a HDC-sized stadium as HalaMadrid mentioned could be built, if one were to be built separate from the current SJSU athletic facilities near Spartan Stadium?

4. We Were Cut

We Were Cut Member

Sep 9, 2000
    Woodland, CA
    Thanks for the info.

5. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: A Question for the Spartans out there (SJSU students & alumni)...

I work at SJSU. The only place I can think of is over where Spartan is currently located. The University also owns that lot with the practice fields, track, and softball stadium across the street from the block Spartan is on. That area is not that big though. But there is absolutely no room on campus.

Is HDC funded entirely by outside sources? I mean outside of the University. I haven't looked at info on it's finances. I can tell you that there's no way SJSU is gonna come up with the money to pay for a new stadium. Things are bad for the Cal States right now.

6. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Oh, please, please, please, make this happen Phil!

I don't think it could be anywhere on campus, I'm guessing they are thinking about the same site that it currently is on.

That area would end up being quite a sports complex for San Jose. HDC-like center, Municipal stadium and the Ice Center - sweet.

7. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just don't think it's big enough. And isn't Municipal stadium owned by the city. Who owns the Ice Center? I guess there would have to be a lot of hands involved in this.

But in any case, I just don't see how it's big enough. Maybe tear down Spartan or renovate it. But then where would you put all the training fields and the rest of the sporting fields for SJSU? And all the parking?? I think an HDC sized area would require the purchase of more land. And that just ain't cheap right now.

However, if they could make this work I'd be incredibly happy! I really hope there's some sort of truth to this!

8. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    I'm not suggesting that the Municipal or Ice Center would be included in the 'HDC-like' center, just that they are located in the same proximity.

You're right about the land size though, I'd think they'd have to find a way to combine the Spartan Stadium parcel with the old track/ baseball field parcel across the street to get something big enough to work. That would mean putting 10th street underground??

9. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp If this really happens, I would be the first to throw a party! [​IMG]

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Unfortunately, though, most of the other posters here would rather have AEG use that money to make the current Spartan field shorter and narrower instead. [​IMG]

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!!

-G

P.S. = Mark this day in the calendar, as San Jose has become the final MLS team for whom there's at least a rumor of getting a soccer-specific stadium.

10. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    I think maybe you're misinterpreting my statement...

I'm not saying a complex of the size and breadth of the HDC would be involved here, the tidbit talked pretty exclusively about a stadium. The important way it would be HDC-esque would be in the way it is financed and the way revenues split.

11. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Don't forget that a lot of other stuff was built around HDC (training facilities, tennis courts, other soccer fields, etc.), as it will be around the new Burn stadium (training facilities, other soccer fields, etc.).

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp In San Jose's case, AEG is most likely just looking to build a stadium and training facilities (like Lamar Hunt did in Columbus), so there's no need to have as much land as HDC.

-G

12. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Here is the entire article tidbit, verbatim:

That's it.

13. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The block east of 10th Street that has the old track and the softball field and various other fields is almost exactly the same size as the block that contains Spartan Stadium, the main parking lot, Simpkins Center, the football practice fields and the student housing complex. A stadium could fit there if one were desired.

More likely, though, would be AEG purchasing Spartan Stadium, but not the land. One option would be to tear it down and build a completely new stadium, but for a lesser cost they could probably use some of the current structure and do major renovations. They could tear down the east stand and build a new one a few yards back to make a wider field, and lots of other things are possible, such as improving the seating and the bathrooms and the "luxury" suites and the concession areas and the locker rooms, etc.

14. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Would AEG consider offering to also rebuild that stuff as part of the stadium deal (I don't see what the incentive would be for AEG, but I was just curious)?

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Renovating Spartan Stadium would be cheaper for AEG in the short-run, but more money would need to be poured into the stadium eventually to continually bring it up to standard (as a simple renovation would ultimately be a half-assed, barely-suitable job)... building a brand-new stadium would be more economical in the long-run (the price of land won't be getting any less expensive once the economy starts picking up again, but at least construction costs are lower now due to less demand).

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Besides, in a renovation it's not only the east-side that would need to be knocked down, but the west-side as well (to fix the sightlines, to make both sides of the stadium level, to remove the dugouts which would become redundant by that point, etc.).

-G

15. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good luck on the stadium San Jose!
    <troll mode>
    Would people be comfortable watching a team called the Earthquakes with a roof over them?</troll mode>
    Would "stacked" parking help the space situation there?

16. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not necessarily. If a new east stand is build far enough back, the west touchline could be placed a few yards farther from the west wall, which would improve the sightlines. For example, if the east stand were moved back 15 yards, they could move the west touchline 5 yards further from the wall, add 7 yards to the playing surface to have a good 75 yard-wide pitch, and still have three yards between the east touchline and the stands, so players wont be afraid of crashing into walls. The stadium doesn't have to be symmetric, just much nicer.

17. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem I keep coming back to is: What about the SJSU football team? Where would they play?

I think SJSU (or AEG in partnership with SJSU) could finance a fantastic, revenue-producing soccer complex if only they would dump their money-draining gridiron program.

Sorry football fans. Just reality. NCAA football programs generally cost far more than they bring in.

18. mike mcclellan

mike mcclellan New Member

Sep 19, 2002
    San Jose
    The ideal site is the old Del Monte cannery on Auzerias near 280 and Bird Avenue. Close to the Arena and train station. Close to most major freeways and gives a view of the skyline (what there is of one) so it feels like a downtown stadium. Throw-in the fact that you've got the river right next to it and you could really have a nice sports complex linked by a river park.

I've always dreamed of a stadium like this surrounded by cobblestone streets, kind of a Santana Row-type atmosphere to draw more people into the area each night. A couple of pubs/sports bars, restaurants. Probably'll never happen, but it's nice to dream.

19. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no way that the current president would ever let that happen. Athletics, and really mostly anything but soccer, was too important to him. Throughout the year there have been employee incentives to go to football, basketball, anything but soccer.

However.... He has just resigned to accept a position in Maryland. So....

20. helmet

helmet New Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Jose
    This is a good dream. One which I share.

But if they build a new stadium at Spartan that would be a close second. It might revitalize that area a bit.

21. Chester FC

Chester FC New Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Gotta agree that knocking down the east stand (which is really only a mound of dirt terraced with bleachers) is the cheapest option. Not sure if it makes the most economic sense, but it is certainly a quick, cheap fix.

A rebuilt east stand could allow for luxury boxes, club seating etc. and would allow for widening the field (which could also be easily lengthend by moving the north of south stands back a bit, as they are pretty minor structures).

I guess the issue is whether "only" a new stand will generate enough buzz to get fans into the stadium or does that require a whole new state of the art facility?

22. mike mcclellan

mike mcclellan New Member

Sep 19, 2002
    San Jose
    Good Point on the revitalization. I too would have Spartan as a second choice. I love that it is unique with its railings and the proxiimity of the stands to the field. Big part of why my family is finally involved is that they feel a connection with the players. Not sure that would happen in a larger venue. So, whatever they do, I hope they keep the stands right on top of the field.

23. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's good news.
    My impression from what Johnny Moore was saying a month or so ago at the Club Quake preseason talk, was that SJSU would be very reluctant to let the Quakes/CyberRays go to some other location in the area. Maybe they get more money from the pro soccer rentals, etc., than what they do from gridiron ball.
    What would that cost and would AEG want to pay for it?

24. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    funny you should say that...as I thought the same thing when I saw he was leaving...

25. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'll bet that's something AEG has brought up whatever negotions have taken place.