Advice to DC and KC fans re: HD Center

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Dammit!, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    PURPOSE: I thought we all could give some advice to the DC and KC fans coming over for the FINALS.

RULES?: Please, no smack. Unless, you want to discuss Sampson; then it's free game.

TICKETS: Also, if you have tickets you want to sell to hard-core DC/KC fans. This would be a good place to let them know.

2. EdTheRed

EdTheRed Member+

Feb 6, 2001
    Loose On The Town
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Cook Islands
    Who can resist the chance to talk smack about Steve Sampson?

I'll start it off: 3-6-1!

Regarding the game, I don't think I'll be able to make the trip myself (financial and family considerations), but I'm hoping at least some of the DC officials responsible for getting a new SSS built in the District will be there to see what a first-rate facility looks like.

One question: any bars (that's "pubs" in Eurosnob ;) ) near the stadium?

3. mickeymac

mickeymac New Member

Mar 11, 2004
    Paso Robles, CA
    Come and get 'em boys and/or girls: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2283454653&ssPageName=ADME:B:LC:US:1

If anyone makes a reasonable offer through a private message, I'll be willing to consider and pull down the ebay listing as long as it hasn't yet received any bids.

P.S. I can pull the listing as long as nobody had bid, can't I?
    P.P.S. I'm proud to say I don't know much about how ebay works.
    P.P.S. I really do hate both of your teams, but don't let that stop you from buying the tickets.

4. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this game sold out already or is there an estimated time table for when it might sell out? I am sort of thinking about going.

5. mickeymac

mickeymac New Member

Mar 11, 2004
    Paso Robles, CA
    Short answer: No. Carson is a hell-hole when it comes to food and drink. We often hit the Red Car Brewery and Restaurant in Torrance for pre-match festivities. It's about an 8 minute drive from HDC. If anyone goes, I'd suggest sticking with the IPA; it's by far their best beer.

6. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I've never had a bad beer at the Red Car Brewery. And I think I've tried them all. But they don't open until noon on Sunday, so it's not a viable place to go before the game. Afterwards perhaps ...

http://www.redcarbrewery.com/

7. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    If you're really broke, you could hit the IKEA off of Avalon for .75 cent hot dogs and .25 cent soft serve cones. ;) Hopefully, you're not that desperate.

You might - like the Fire before you, contact the HDC to make special arrangements to have a brunch at the Center, on the lawn or something. I think Hamilton okayed this, but the supporters groups arranged everything, including catering.

Beware, though, there is a perfect record of the team that has a supporter's breakfast at the HDC losing . . .

You might just suck it up and pay the inflated HDC prices for food and drink. The selection isn't bad and how often do you get to watch your team play for the championship? That deserves a splurge.

8. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I'm looking forward to the Supporters' Bash in Hollywood on the 13th. That sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun.

9. mickeymac

mickeymac New Member

Mar 11, 2004
    Paso Robles, CA
    No, RCB doesn't make a bad beer, but the IPA outsells all their other beers combined for a reason. Now that I've lost interest in the game, I forgot about the early start time. Another potential pre-match spot is Joe Jost's. It's certainly no EuroPub, but it's a southern California institution and it opens at 10:00 a.m. on Sunday. Enjoy a pint of PBR and a pickled egg at opening time: http://www.joejosts.com/

10. cleschke

cleschke Member+

Aug 16, 2004
    Fullerton, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16122&item=2283226220&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

What he said. Same thing goes with the private message, if nobody has bid I will just pull the listing for you if its a reasonable offer.

11. Snapshot

Snapshot New Member

Aug 24, 2001
    Orange, CA
    Alpine Village is in Torrance and has a Sunday brunch but you'll have to check it out. Last year they had a breakfast at HDC on the south side of the stadium under the restaurant.

I'm sure there will be some tailgating in Lot 13 along the fence. Talk to the people at the Bash and summit for details.

12. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I have a question about ride sharing and/or taxis. My father-in-law lives in San Pedro, and my wife and I are going to stay with him Saturday and Sunday night. She wants to hang around at his house on Saturday night, but I want to go to the big party in Hollywood. We're going to rent a car, but there's no way in hell I'm going to drive back from Hollywood to San Pedro after the party.

What would cab fare be from Hollywood to San Pedro. Alternatively, is there anyone who's lives in that area who could give me a ride to my father-in-law's house afterwards?

TIA.

Hmm, maybe we should have a "ride share" thread in the MLS Fans forum.

13. mickeymac

mickeymac New Member

Mar 11, 2004
    Paso Robles, CA
    I'm going to take a wild stab and say a cab ride from Hollywood to Pedro is going to cost you a minimum of $60 and probably more realistically closer to $75. That's assuming you can find a Hollywood cabbie who's willing to go all the way down to Pedro.

P.S. Say "hey" to Mike Watt while you're down there in SP.

14. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  15. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Yikes! That's pretty expensive.

I think I'll ask my wife or her dad to drive up and pick me up.

Who's Mike Watt?

16. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Cabs in LA are highway robbery. Atouk and I both cabbed from LA to the Rose Bowl a couple of years back for the Gold Cup. I think I got take for $85 and he got stiffed for around $75.

My advice is to rent a car.

17. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    Mike,

Not sure how convenient it will be for you, but check out mta.net for possible public transportation options.

18. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    We are renting a car. I just don't want to drive to the supporters party in Hollywood then attempt to drive back to San Pedro afterwards, especially if Jan does indeed decide to hang out with her old man and his wife in San Pedro. The last thing I need is to get busted for a DWI out in California.

You may not have noticed, but I'm not exactly a teetotaler at soccer events. ;)

19. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Thanks, I'll check it out. If all else fails, I'll ask my wife to come pick me up.

20. mickeymac

mickeymac New Member

Mar 11, 2004
    Paso Robles, CA
    San Pedro stalwart and god-like bassist of the Minutemen and fIREHOSE.

BTW, Pedro's a cool little town with lots of history and some good ethnic restaurants.

21. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    He is the Captain, and he jams Econo.
    [​IMG]

22. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I knew that name sounded familiar. Just couldn't place it.

23. cosmojado

cosmojado Member

Oct 18, 2002
    in sin
    public trans on saturday nite

take the red line to the blue line if you are anywhere near those redline stops in hollywood
    [​IMG]

then the blue line will take you south all the way to Long Beach
    [​IMG]

maybe your pops-in-law can pick you up in Long Beach

24. cosmojado

cosmojado Member

Oct 18, 2002
    in sin
    and for anybody coming in from LAX and heading straight to the HDC

take the free tram from your terminal
    "G" line to Green line station/Aviation Blvd
    there are a bunch of free trams that go out to parking lots around LAX, the "G" goes to the metrolink station
    [​IMG]

exit on Avalon
    take 1 of about 5 buslines that head south from the greenline/Avalon towards Cal State Dominguez Hills which is where the stadium is located (CSUDH will be on the route, not HDC),

25. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Thanks!!!

That'll work.