adult leagues

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by jmeissen0, Aug 5, 2002.

1. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    just kinda wondering what people's experiences are like... i am starting one soon and assume it will mostly be recreational... not too competitive

2. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    since i don't play much... i basically have to play midfield or forward... once i play awhile, i can move back to defense...

i just need to get a sense of the game again, get my instincts back and essentially remember what it is that i need to do to mark guys and tackle like i use to

i find it much easier to step into the midfield and work the ball around than it is for me to step onto the back line like i use to play

since i can run most people into the ground, a wing mid would probably be best for me...

3. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    should i go with the notion that most people won't really no how to play or be able to really play... so i will have to play midfield because i know how to dribble and pass??

4. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I started out in midfield in 1993, then my team found out I was a goalkeeper and our old GK was a horror show.

So for the next 300 games I was in goal.

When the doctor told me to get out of there (concussion, contussions, hyper-extended knee, strained bicep tendon, dislocated shoulder) I moved up top.

Scored a goal a game for 30 games, but our defense was crap. Moved to sweeper and that is where I remained until injuries caught up to me, lost my recovery speed, and became a forward and went back to scoring a goal a game or so I remember.

5. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have never played in one. Dont think I ever will either which sucks.

6. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think my playing days are done as well.

7. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Well, with some of the ones I've seen here in NC, you have a mix of people. Some know how to play very well, while several seem to be playing for fun. Or maybe it's because they just don't go all out, since getting injured in a meaningless soccer game is rather, well, pointless.

Plus, you always have the headache of trying to find enough players. Since these are all rec leagues, people tend to not go to every game, or will bail at the last second, so you're calling up people all day trying to find someone.

==

Even though I've never played before, I'm thinking about joining a rugby team this fall. I've already met with them and went to their website. They're an adult women's league that travels to other SE cities, like ATL, DC, Philly, Augusta, Etc. They like to play hard, and they've won the state championship about four years now.

It's not soccer, which sucks, but the competitive nature makes me want to play regardless of my experience.

I just cannot play for fun. It's not in me. If I'm playing, I'm playing to win and ************ up some defenders. I've seen too many people in rec leagues take a hard foul or hard play as an insult.

Screw that.

But I am still looking for some true competitive outdoor soccer leagues. If I find one, I'll let you know about it ...

8. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I play in an over 40 and a B level Over the Hill/ Coed League. I used to play midfield, but my endurance has steeply declined over the years. We have a couple of 20-40ish women that play O40 with us. For most of us, are biggest priority is being able to go to work on Monday. We get excited occasionally, but for the most part we play because we enjoy it.

Bonnie, you might try a men's B team if you can't find a womens team. You might find some good looking guys. :)

9. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    bonnie... that rugby sounds like a great idea, just clear it with rccutie :D

10. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    i think i would prefer a competitive league, or at least team... but i am expecting neither, that way if it is competitive, it's an extra bonus

11. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    injuries have never been a big problem for me in soccer... i broke my pinkie playing goalie once (my defender kicked me in the hand when i went for the ball... real genius that guy)

but other than that, i can't get hurt...

12. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Redcard, i have friends that play in a co rec league in North Raleigh that is pretty decent I think. Will have to email him to see what league.

13. schmuckatelli

schmuckatelli New Member

Nov 10, 2000
    The old guys' league I played in (FIFA euphastically refers to us as "Veteran Footballers") was divided into "competitive" and "recreational" to weed out the overachievers from the rest of us hapless putzes. We played seven a side on a 60-70 yard long field w/ 6 yard wide goals -- in other words, about U-10 except w/ a full size ball. We used liveral substitution rules. The advantages were you can scare up a team easier, no one had to "carry" the team and so on. Nice set up. I buggered up my knee, and coaching has kept me out of a lot of matches, so I don't participate any longer, but I'd like to get back in it someday.

14. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    are most adult leagues like that??

smaller sized fields and goals??

are most adult leagues high scoring, low scoring, average scoring or what??

15. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My old coed league used to play 11v11, but women were so hard to find, we went to 7v7 and the league took off. We used a U10 field, and full size goals.

Check out the link:

http://members.cox.net/nocs/

16. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    are people generally fairly brittle in adult leagues?

i like to play all out, so i can see me breaking people on accident

17. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    are roster sizes maxed out usually? or do they let you do what you have to in order to get 11 on the pitch???

18. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends on the division, but most have to work the next day, so they don't allow slide tackles.

19. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Working the next day is highly overrated.

20. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed it.

21. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    oh i didn't necessarily mean slide tackles... i don't need to do that to break someone

22. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    yeah, i thought he had been too

thanks for confirming my suspicions

23. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Sounds good. Thank you!

Of course, in all my snobbery, I still need to get back in shape. :D

But having something to get in shape for would most definately help.

24. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    There are a lot of competive leagues in NYC.

The Cosmopolitian Soccer league, The Helenic league, the Italian league, the Spanish league and the Northeast Super div none are for begining players.

Biggest problem we have is not finding players. It is not even finding players that have played all their lives it is finding fit players that can be effective most of the game if they pace themselves.

On injuries get your fitness together you will have less injury problems. Also the less you hold the ball the less injuries you will have.

25. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    I play in Dallas in the North Texas Premier Soccer Association...

It is the largest adults men's league in the USA..

over 200 teams, 13 Open division, 5 over 30, 4 over 40 and an over50 division.

From my experiece, the quality of the league will be determined by those that run the league.

How the league handles players who receive red cards, players in violent situations, referee abuse and overall following the rules -- will determine the quality of the league.

Adult soccer can be the best fun, but it can also be an exercise in frustration.