Adu, U-20s vs Mexico (R)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by dsheon, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    Thanks for the link. Why can't our players show such passion, boisterousness and spontaneity?

2. voodoodiver

voodoodiver Member

Jun 21, 2002
    FLL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems like this rivalry is just going to get nastier... Can't picture Prus being too unfair, but why have an American ref in a game like this?

3. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    A Sigi Schmid-coached team getting a controversial late penalty to win a game?

Shocking.

4. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I thought the same thing. If anything, it might tempt the Mexican players to try to intimidate him, knowing that he has to appear 'unbiased' and that they'd probably complain to high heaven on anything remotely controversial.

5. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fyp ;)

6. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    That actually is shocking...

7. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I posted about this last night in the off-season News and Rumour thread.

8. neilgrossman

neilgrossman New Member

May 12, 2000
    Hoboken, NJ
    Perhaps this is just a matter of Mexico being Mexico.

9. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

nooooo! :rolleyes:

10. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll copy my thoughts from YNT for those DCU fans who do not hang out in that forum:

Without reading the thread: Decided at the last minute to go to this one and glad I did, an old fashioned US-Mexico Donnybrook, kiddie version!

After a pisspoor first 20 minutes that had me thinking I had wasted my money, we improved greatly and took more and more control of the game and well deserved the late winner.

Szetela was by far our best player,IMO,Sigi needs to play him in the middle as he is a much better player than Denny,who did improve after a slow start. Danny has real two way talent,and a little bite in his game as well,which was needed. Freddy was dangerous when running at goal, hit a couple of nice crosses which should have lead to more than they did, set up the Memo penalty with a lovely dummy,but really spent WAY to much time with his back to goal getting bad head high service (play to his feet, guys). Plus his corners and freekicks were rubbish, unless you want to count a clinical penalty.

John did well up front,holding off two guys a lot,finished well on first goal,hitting the open net with a tough angle after a keeper error. Unfortunately he missed a couple of late chances that he should have done better with. Also was a vast improvement to the lazy Alvarez at left mid when Zimmerman subbed in up front(nice 25 minutes from him).

The defense struggled early but got better. I thought the outside guys were way over their heads in the beginning, but did catch up to the speed of the game, especially Rogers(?) on the left..Sturgis was solid, the #16 was ok(once again no program at a Nats game , and I did not catch his name)

Weistberg(sp?) in goal was good in the air,stopped shots pretty well(slightly out of position on the goal, IMO), but uses his feet like a 70's keeper,ugh!!

Now for the bad news, as mentioned above, Alvarez really needs to play a little defense, he is no where near dangerous enough to spend the whole game sitting on the touch line waiting for the ball and watching his man overlap.

Now for the worse news,as in the Brazil game, I have NO IDEA how Bradley makes this team, let alone starts (Capano did not play at all and Memo came in for extra time only), he was by far the worst player in both the U20 games I've seen him in. I'm sure the kid's nice to his mother or something, but we can do better than this, and did so when he and Arturo were subbed out, much more midfield control, even before the red.

And it's nice to know Mexico learns their classless hacking etc. at a young age......

11. pokemoncards

pokemoncards New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    didn't one of adu's freekicks lead to a goal?

12. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yeah, Mexican keeper mishandled it, and another guy put in the rebound.