Adu sophmore season

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by kwdawson, Nov 12, 2004.

1. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

Nov 28, 2003
    Florida
    What role will freddy play next year? Do you think he will bulk up during the off season so he wont get pushed around so much?

2. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    MVP

Seriously, though, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets to the 10 goal mark.

3. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I think he should definately start, but what position will he play? I mean the only starts he got were at forward when either Moreno or Eskandarian were out or at attacking mid before Gomez was brought in. Can he play any other positions? If he can't, I'd trade Gomez for winger. As for stats he could finish with around 8 goals, 7 assists.

4. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    And if half of them are penalties, coupled with a piss-poor attitude on the pitch, then the first part of you post may be prophetic.

5. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Considering his prediction upon being drafted by DCU on how his new team will do, "MLS champions baby!" I thinkwe ought to listen closely to his goals for next season. (WCC champs baby!)

6. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    He's played on the left side of midfield for us this year, but it's certainly not ideal. The defensive responsibilities of playing there in a 3-5-2 are not his strength, obviously, and I don't really see the use in moving him further from goal. We could try going with two A-mids in a 3-5-2, but that would push out wide mids even further back, and takes a spot away from either Olsen or Carroll

--Namoff-EZ-Petke
    Gros---Carroll---Dema
    ----Gomez-Adu
    ----Moreno-Esky

We might be better off switching to a 4-4-2 box instead with Stewart leaving. this would have him replacing Kovalenko, who may be trade/expansion draft bait with his salary.

Namoff-Petke-EZ-Gros(assuming Nelsen leaves)
    ----Olsen---Carroll
    --Gomez-------Adu
    -----Moreno-Esky

I don't think Nowak will opt to go that way, though. He seems pretty locked into the 3-5-2. We could move Gomez out, I suppose, but I think he's made the difference in this team down the stretch. You have to keep a guy who has produced the way he has.

or maybe he stays on the bench.

7. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    This is a very interesting question...I think that there will be a huge jump in his play between where he was at the start of this season and the start of next season. I think he will just know the game much better, his teammamtes will trust him, and he will be playing in the right position. He will earn an opening day start and not lose it. The downside is that Gomez will probably lose his starting spot in this situation, but Adu will be an upgrade. The only possible problem I forsee is if he goes through a growth spurt this offseason, which will throw off a lot of his footwork until he gets used to himself.

8. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Moreno's long-term health must be factored in. Hopefully he will be healthy all next year, but if not Freddy can step in.

9. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    He will play the role of the off-beat pal of the heroine who falls for the rich kid and finds that being from "the other side of the tracks" means that acceptance won't come easy from his snooty friends.

10. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Okay, now that I got that out of my system...

I think he will see more of an integral role in the midfield, especially if Earnie is in fact going to be in Holland.

11. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    After thinking about this a little more, I think who we lose (and who we leave exposed) will signal what hind of role the team expects him to play.

12. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right now, the DC United midfield corps regulars are: Freddy, Olsen, Dema, Carroll, Gomez, Gros, and Earnie.

Lawson, Kuffour, and Ara are also on the roster

Figure that Earnie heads back to Holland, also figure that maybe two of Lawson, Ara and Dema are also lost in the offseason.

That'll leave an opening out wide, or a spot to spell Olsen or Gomez late in a game.

13. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

I'd laugh, but it still pisses me off.

14. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I think your right i hope he makes a jump like Eddie Gaven did this past year. If you look at how much he has grown through the year i expect big things from Freddy next year. Though i am not hoping for DC success just Adu greatness.:)

15. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    For those worrying about a "growth spurt" I'd stop worrying. He seems to be one of those kids who mature early. I wouldn't expect any more height from him, and he's already stocky. I doubt he's going to gain much more size or bulk. He will gain knowledge which is more important. Frankly, the best thing for him would be a growth spurt, but don't count on it.

16. Shark

Shark Member

Mar 12, 2004
    Leesburg, VA

...and my smoldering ember of hate bursts into an inferno of flame as I remember the biggest injustice the world has ever seen.

99 = MVP in 2005 while leading the team to it's fifth gold star.