ADU, off the U-20 roster now?

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by bostonsoccermdl, Oct 10, 2003.

1. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    In todays USA today on the back page (I apologise if it as already mentioned) it states that Adu will not be on the U-20 roster.

At first I thought this was a misprint, but then the article mentions that he played in the Japanese game as a sub, and then the decision was made after the game...

2. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    I think Rongen has been pretty consistent about this, so it shouldnt be a surprise.

He obviously will have ample chance to be a part of this team over the next 2 years. I think it's in his best interest as well, to wait. He will have to be playing with some of these guys over the next several years.

3. Isisbud

Isisbud New Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Encinitas
    Headline from Mars:

FREDDY ADU GETS CUT

This will make a quaint chapter in his book someday.

4. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not Freddy for Prime Time?

Well. Good sign to not rush him, I guess. Shame he isn't at least on the roster to get the experience though...

5. Shimmy

Shimmy New Member

Jul 25, 2003
  6. undergroundfc

undergroundfc New Member

Jul 18, 2001
    damn..

disapointed...
    i was really looking forward to seeing Adu take on stiffer competition and take his game to another level at the u-20 world cup, however, i guess it wont be..

i know the whole issue about not rushing, loyalty, there are good players on the u-20 team..
    but i know honestly all of you in the bottom of ur heat wanted to see this kid have another shot at taking on the world, this time with men..not boys..cuz i know i would have loved to see him play

waiting till ADU puts on a US jersey for a world cup aagain..

undergroundc

7. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    They're basically the same and Wilbon even mentioned it on PTI today.

Here's the interesting quote from Rongen about U-17 players making the squad:

"If we get an injury to a defender, I'll take Spector," said Rongen. "If we get an injury to a midfielder, I'll probably make a decision between Eddie Gaven and Memo Gonzalez. We get an injury to an attacking player, it'll be Freddy Adu."

I do think there's a good possibility the Quaranta won't be fit to go and Adu could get the call.

8. highlander

highlander Member

Nov 9, 2002
    Springfield, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know this is a completely different situation but I think it's a great story so I'm going to post it anyway.

When George Best was 15, he was a candidate for Northern Ireland's under 16 national team. For some reason, back in those days the team was chosen by a committee of five people. The selection process came down to a choice between George Best and another kid for the final spot on the roster. The committee decided to take a secret vote. The vote was four to one against George Best. He would have to wait two years to be discovered by Manchester United and four years to star in the European Cup final as a nineteen year old. To this day every member of that under 16 selection committee swears on his life that he was the one person that voted for Best to make that under 16 team.

I really have no idea how Freddy's experience sizes up in comparison to this, but I just can't resist the opportunity for a good George Best story.

9. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    ...one that has been told many times on BS. :D

10. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Quaranta is always hurt, be it his knee, hip, hair, or ego.

11. highlander

highlander Member

Nov 9, 2002
    Springfield, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoops! Sorry. Hadn't seen it before. Must be reading the wrong forums.

12. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    i hadn't read it before, and i enjoyed it. thanks

13. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I totally disagree with this statement from Connely:

This isn't a roadblock on his path to stardom. Just a speed bump.

That implies that this is somehow a setback, albeit a small one. I think that is crazy and at the same time, insulting to the U20 players.

It's not a setback to not make a team you shouldn't make.

Freddy is 14 years old! He's not supposed to make U20 teams. That he was even invited to the team at this stage of his life is quite an accomplishment and we shouldn't lose site of this.

Not making a team that no 14-year old in the world has any business making is not a negative and thus not a speed bump.

14. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Very good post. I wonder how much of it has to do with talent and how much of it has to do with him not being with the club before. We all expect(ed) Freddy to jump to MLS and immediately shine. However, I think our expectations might be getting a little more realistic if he rightly may have struggled against 19-20yos

15. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    No we don't.

16. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    No, we all don't.

17. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it really depends on what you mean by the word "shine." To some people, that means scoring 20 goals in MLS next year. To others, it may mean that they expect Freddy to put on a great display of talent/skill and excitement (dribbling, speed), even if that doesn't necessarily ending up in goals. I do expect Freddy to provide tons of excitement in MLS WHENEVER he gets there, because of those on the ball skills that he has. However, I would not expect him to actually score alot because he has a lot of physical maturing to do. I would expect him to get bounced all over the field in his first year in the league.