Adu - Making the WC Squad Good or Bad for Freddy?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by JRstriker12, Jan 3, 2006.

1. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    This is clearly the crux of the issue -

1) If Freddy shines so brightly that he's suddenly #15 (which is VERY unlikely) then YES its clearly good for him to go to the WC and get playing time - But then there is the problem of what would happen if his playing time is similar to last year - (uh - please remember that was 60 minutes per game and 16/25 starts !!) - And he complains again just like last year - Not a pretty sight - But then I don't see its very likely for him to be as high as #15, so its not a big worry to me

2) If however, he's merely #23 and no playing time at all (unless 5 or 6 players go down injured in the tournament) then what would be the best way to handle this? - Let him see and enjoy the atmosphere - Let him get hungrier to do better - But would he accept the fact that he's only #23 and NOT a #15? - Given his track record not very likely - And what about missed playing time at DCU - And more importantly, missed DEVELOPMENT time at DCU - Thats the big worry - Fortunately its only a slight chance Freddy could be as high as #23 in the camp

3) He does the best he can in camp - But so does everyone else - And he sees how much farther he has to go - He comes back to DCU hungry to improve - AND LISTEN TO THE COACH - I know I'm hallucinating here, but I think and hope this is the most likely chance

2. Renegade

Renegade New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    VA
    I would just love to see Freddy with the MNT for the following reasons:

Bruce Enclosure can make any player better.

Freddy won't have to go to the 18 yard box to get the ball.

Playing next to Beasley and Donovan

Playing with real forwards: McBride, Johnson, Wolfe, etc.

I think everyone would be proud just to see him in the friendlies, and excited to see him on the bench at the WC. I could just hear the chants from the US ventilators if he started to warm-up. ADU! ADU! ADU!

3. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that training for Bruce will make Fred a better player than Nowak ever can, maybe not as good a player in the DCU scheme but in terms of overall development he's better off with Bruce.

4. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    I'm not talking about time spent this month and next in the camp and the time in the friendlies - This is clearly going to improve Freddy's game and everyone else's - I've always maintained that Bruce Arena and his large call-up camps have had a bigger impact on the quality of play in the domestic league than any National Team Coach in any other country

What I was referring to was sitting on the bench during the WC tune-up and tournament time - Sure a bit of practice time, but thats it - Bruce's attention will be on his starters and primary subs - And Freddy will be left on the bench - Unless he's as high as a #15, then NO, sitting in Bruce's camp in June will NOT improve his game