Adu Makes Early List for Gold Cup camp...

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by American40, Jun 16, 2005.

1. aartef redded

aartef redded Red Card

Apr 25, 2005
  2. slowbutsure

slowbutsure New Member

May 1, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    This really is a good thing for Freddy and for DC United.

DC has a logjam at forward/attacking midfield with Moreno, Esky, Q, Gomez and Freddy. Considering the tension surrounding Freddy's lack of playing time, having him off playing in the Gold Cup will be a good way to get him playing experience without creating waves within DC United.

------------------
    http://www.finalfootball.com

3. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    We already had that in the WYC, though. You can't delay the "QB controversy" forever.

On that, I'd say that there are three positions on offer, and there have been three productive players to fill them--Moreno, Gomez, and Freddy. The 'performance' of Esky and Quaranta make that decision easy right now. Even in last night's 4-3 win, those two couldn't manage to get in the act. (And David Stokes and Bobby Boswell did!)

4. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Tell that to Quaranta's game-tying assist and the pk he drew to start our comeback.

5. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Fred and Clyde are on the prelim list for the Gold Cup. That means they'll make that team unless they get hurt or something. Training Camp for the GC is in---- WHOA! PORTLAND BABY! and starts June 26th. Considering that the U-20 round of 16 plays on June 21-22 and the USA is all but guaranteed to make that already, DCU won't see Fred in competition until well... let's see now....well the final for the GC is July 24, the quarters July 16 & 17.

That would mean that Clyde and Fred could miss games all the way until the All-Star break:

Wednesday, June 29 @ Chicago Fire
    Saturday, July 2 @ Columbus Crew
    Saturday, July 9 Kansas City Wizards
    Monday, July 11 @ Rochester Raging Rhinos
    Friday, July 15 San Jose Earthquakes
    Wednesday, July 20 @ Kansas City Wizards
    Saturday, July 23 @ Los Angeles Galaxy
    Thursday, July 28 Real Salt Lake

Fortunately the midfield is, in fact, deep.

6. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's an interesting bit.......July 28 is now the Chelsea match. So one less league match that both of these guys miss, and Chelsea doesn't get to see Freddy......

7. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Freddy is gonna be quite the busy kid between U-20 national team duty, USMNT duty, and then the all-star game.

Good for him...this HAS to be great for his confidence :)

8. pokemoncards

pokemoncards New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    the gold cup ends on the 24th i believe, so I think freddy could be back for the chelsea match

9. robchap628

robchap628 New Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Atlanta
    Has anyone been able to actually find the entire list of players? I'm really interested to see who else is on there. Also the list is just for a training camp so theres a good chance Freddy doesn't play in the Gold Cup, but he'll atleast get to play with the Men so it should be interesting

10. robchap628

robchap628 New Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Atlanta
    I don't think he has to many confidence problems

11. JRstriker12

JRstriker12 New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Falls Church, VA

Agreed that it's a great thing for Freddy. Even if he doesn't make the full squad, the camp will do him good. (Wonder if well see Wynne, Barret or Feilhaber in camp too?)

However, once he comes back from the camp, won't that create more tension? How can you sit Freddy behind Esky or Quaranta if he performs well in the U-20's AND gets called into the senior nats camp?

I think this may make the situation even worse if Nowak still isn't giving him at least 45 min or starting him.

12. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    And David Stokes got the game-winning assist. And now they both have one. Is Stokes our forward solution? (Oh, now that's unfair. Quaranta also has one goal on the year, which ties him with Bobby Boswell.)

Quaranta's best game in almost 4 years, and dude still couldn't score in a New Orleans brothel. That game was all Moreno/Gomez. (Actually, the guy getting dissed is posisbly Nana Kuffour. Consistently good for the reserves, hasn't even played a minute with the regular team. Everyone at DCU says he's "raw", but so's Abbe Ibrahim, and Metro let him go out there and score whenever no one else is).

And further and most importantly, Quaranta was playing the wing last night. If he can duke it out with our other candidates and win there, then more power to him. I just don't want a guy lining up at striker who can't finish. I'd rather there not be a 'true striker' than have that.