Adu is teetering on starting/sub role with DC United in preseason

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Ronaldo's Idol, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004
    It appears that Adu is in a dogfight for a starting spot, if anything can be gleaned from the preaseason lineups for DC United.

He was a late game forward sub (67th minute) for Jamil Walker against the Atletico Madrid B team, but he started against Rayo Vallecano as a forward.

He also started against Getafe, as a midfielder.

Other DC United regular starters like Christian Gomez and Jaime Moreno have started all of these games.

Adu appears to be on the fringe yet again. DC has a game against Richmond coming up, and we'll see if Adu gets a start there. It seems that he is being tested at mid and foward, and that Nowak still isn't convinced he should be a starter.

I think that Nowak knows, as of course does Adu, that if Freddy isn't starting immediately from the beginning of the season in all the games, he is not going to be looked at anymore by Arena for this WC.

It will be interesting to see if Adu can win over Nowak within the next few weeks.

2. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adu probably won't be looked at anymore for Germany, no doubt. The quote by the Bruce about Rossi and not getting regular playing time for the club apllies to Adu here. As for the teetering starting or subbing role I'd say its better he got to start two out of three. And that ain't bad.

3. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    How can it really be a problem that he has started two games and subbed on for the other? Ask Holland if they care that RVN hasn't been starting lately for his club. Hell, Beasley would love to be "teetering" right now at his club.

Perhaps a better title would be "Adu Not Dominating in DC Preseason" because that is what seems to be the problem.

Anything less than domination is looked at as failure in Adu's case and that is not fair.

4. bing1985

bing1985 Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Near West ChiSuburbs
    So you're saying that Adu may or may not start, but appears likely to at least see some minutes this season with DC.

yawn.

Honestly, this may be worth a threat in the DCU forum, but here? nope.

5. Soccernethost

Soccernethost New Member

Apr 16, 1999
    Unless (despite all evidence to the contrary) you haven't given up on the idea that Adu might go to Germany.

In which case even your blinkered soul must admit that he's "teetering."

6. Shackleton

Shackleton New Member

Sep 13, 2005
    N. Texas
    I'm still trying to figure out whether or not this was a misspelling. :cool:

7. bing1985

bing1985 Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Near West ChiSuburbs
    I find the "evidence" of which you speak to be the hopes and wishful thinking of Freddy's fans. (whether or not I fall into that category is not relevant, but don't asume you know my "blinkered soul")

He's not going to be on the cup squad for '06.

He will be largely responsible for our future domination of the Gold Cup.

He will be the centerpiece of our 2010 campaign.

He will enjoy a decade long run bringing fame and glory to his club side (whoever that will be).

But he's not going to Germany.

8. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004

The point of this thread is to simply update everyone on Adu's progress. I'm sure Arena has been interested in how Adu's preseason has been going and I figured US fans would be too.

And the truth is, it appears he hasn't fully convinced Nowak he deserves to start. It also appears he hasn't solidified himself as either a forward or midfielder. It appears, yet again, he is in limbo.

I know this isn't world shattering news as it is more of the same from last season. But it is significant because it is possible a little foreshadowing of what's to come at the start of the MLS season. There will be a very unhappy Freddy if he isn't starting come the first game in April, and furthermore all talk about Freddy making the WC squad should officially cease at that time.

9. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS must be thrilled. A league max bench player. Tons of kids coming to watch him warm up. They should just move him somewhere where he can play and that isn't DC.

He's an investment for the league and if he dosn't play this year, they have to move him

10. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    This isn't really USMNT News & Analysis ... but what the hell, I'll bite.

No way on God's green earth that MLS, Sierra Mist, or any other party involved in the Freddy Adu signing envisioned him as a part-time starter in spring 2006. That sure as hell ain't the master plan.

Of course, it hasn't happened yet either. We can talk more in a month.

11. Soccerprep

Soccerprep Member

Aug 26, 2005
    Lafayette, LA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    freddy will not be in dc next year unless he starts this year. he may not stay there this whole year. mls will come up with some weighted supplemental draft, or he will be traded, or sold off, but i guarentee you if he isnt starting this year he wont be there next year

12. Soccerprep

Soccerprep Member

Aug 26, 2005
    Lafayette, LA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    normally i try to stay off of freddy threads, but here goes.

freddy will not be in dc next year unless he starts this year. he may not stay there this whole year. mls will come up with some weighted supplemental draft, or he will be traded, or sold off, but i guarentee you if he isnt starting this year he wont be there next year.

13. aueagle1

aueagle1 New Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Washington DC
    I can guarantee that Freddy has a better chance of starting on opening day than Christian Gomez. Bold prediction, I know. From what I have heard from Bruce Arena, he may actually be captain in Germany this summer.

14. Scoobs

Scoobs New Member

Aug 18, 2005
    Christian Gomez? Jesus H. Christ.

15. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't fall for it Scoobs. He's suckering you. Gomez is suspended for the 1st game, because of the spitting incident in the playoffs. Leave Jesus out of this.

16. Scoobs

Scoobs New Member

Aug 18, 2005
    'late game sub for Jamil Walker' is kinda scary if
    considering him for a WC slot.

Ah well. One more year of hell and the kid will
    be free.

Too bad Bradley didn't have chance to work with
    him.

17. Scoobs

Scoobs New Member

Aug 18, 2005
    It's not that...

18. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another Adu thread.

God just killed a kitten.

19. pokemoncards

pokemoncards New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    With Freddy Adu last year, was it that you were going to start your Best XI and he had to step up his game?
    "You know guys, don't get me wrong, we care about every player. We know what to expect. For myself, I think in the first season the expectations were very high. I don't remember, but I think he started 7 or 8 games. I don't remember the exact number, it was something like that. Last year he started 16 games. So, we're going in the right direction. I think if he gives the team 25 starts, with 15 or 20 very good games, like he did last year with a lot of them. . .

http://unitedmania.matchnight.com/umindex.cfm?page=ARTICLE&show=2962

I think 25 games would be a full time starter

20. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004
    For me, full time starter means you start every single game you are healthy and available for. You never fall out of favor, even if the team is losing.

Whatever descriptive name we want to attach to what I just described, be it core team member or whatever, is what Freddy has got to be starting in April to get a shot at the WC, and has got to be for the entire season for there to be any chance he'll hang around DC next season.

21. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Well in the last preseason game Adu started. Whoo-hoo! ;) The interesting thing here is that for two games in a row Nowak played a 433 with Freddy as a wing forward- a more comfortable position for him than a 352 wingback. It gets him away from competiting with Gomez and Moreno for a starter's job.

22. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004

That is interesting. So I take it that both Carrol/Simms and Olsen are two dmids behind Gomez and there are no wing midfielders? I guess that could make sense as with two dmids they won't get exposed defensively in the middle, but I think that might require the wing forwards to get back and defend some.

23. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    ---------Perkins/Rimando
    Gros---Erpen---Boswell----Wilson
    -------Olsen-------------Carroll
    ----------------Gomez
    Filomeno---Moreno------Adu

That's what it seems at the moment. Quaranta will probably be a wing forward once he gets uninjured and Walker and (again injured) Eskandarian will fight for time too. But honestly this formation seems most likely to get Fred on the field normally and it fits the team's strengths best.

24. Scoobs

Scoobs New Member

Aug 18, 2005
    If he couldn't beat out Moreno and Gomez for a starting
    slot then he has no place on the NT.

25. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Close this thread please. I know that speculating about players while the team is in training/preseason/scrimmage/etc. is the bread and butter of this forum but to even remotely post something as stupid as this thread deserves a red card and a ban.

I don't put anyone on an ignore list because that pretty much takes away freedom of speech but I am so very tempted.

james