Adu +/- 10 goals Year Two Version

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by mpruitt, Dec 23, 2004.

1. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Last year I started this thread which turned out to be a little bit of fun speculating on if Adu would reach the double digit plateau in goals.

Most people didn't think he would but the general thought was that he would have a solid season. That turned out to be a fairly accurate prediction.

In 2003 eleven players reached that total. In 2004 ten players did.

2004 list
    12 Brian Ching
    12 Eddie Johnson
    11 Pat Noonan
    11 Damani Ralph
    11 Edson Buddle
    11 Carlos Ruiz
    10 Amado Guevara
    10 Josh Wolff
    10 John Wolyniec
    10 Alecko Eskandarian

2003 list
    15 Carlos Ruiz
    15 Taylor Twellman
    14 Ante Razov
    14 John Spencer
    12 Preki
    12 Landon Donovan
    12 Brian McBride
    11 Mark Chung
    11 Damani Ralph
    10 Pat Noonan
    10 Edson Buddle

Adu's stats
    G 5 A 3 PTS 13 Min 1440 G/90 0.3125

2. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    If he's an A-mid I'll go with 5 goals.

It might be higher if it wasn't for the U-20 championships.

3. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    That's my initial inclination that with him playing A-mid that it would be tough for him to get ten goals. 16 guys had point totals over 20, only two or three of them were strict midfeilders depending on how you're counting. By my look the two top-scoring mid feilders last year in MLS, exculding Guerva (G10::A10) were Steve Ralston (G7::A8) and Eddie Gaven (G7::A8) were the top scoring midfeilders in terms of points. I could easily see Adu with a couple more goals and a handfull more assists. Reaching the 20pt mark? Maybe not, but you never know. Historically in MLS expansion has brought about league-wide higher scoring.

4. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    No, for the same reason others have said...he's going to play A-mid. Expect 5 goals or more and 10 assists or more, though.

5. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    That's pretty ambitious, only three guys last year had more than 10 assists. Donavan, Guerva and Moreno.

FWIW. By my quick count Freddy was tied for 23rd in the league with a few other players with his 5 goals scored. I'll be putting together a full breakdown of offensive numbers in the next couple of weeks and putting them in the Stats forum.

6. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    I think he'll hit twenty points with an over one point per 90 average.

7. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Freddy will probably take the PKs (he's so automatic)..so that might add a couple to his totals.

I had Freddy pegged for 5-7 goals in first year, and you could calculate 5 (actual total) or 7 (if you add OWN GOAL vs. Dallas which was all Freddy, and a goal vs. Rochester in exhibition that was played as if a real game).
    With younger players, I think its as valid as not to look at 'near games' since they are on pitch for fewer minutes..

This year, I expect he'll be in the 8-10 range- MLS games only, depending on if he takes PKs. I do expect his assists to increase a lot (10+)...

8. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    Not that ambitious

Adu will be getting 90 minutes in the A-mid position and Esky and Moreno are going to get some pace on offense, if Adu learns some patience he's going to draw the defense in and find these guys open a bunch. Expect Moreno's assists to go down (really, Moreno had 10 assists? Every game I've been to I keep getting frustrated with him cuz he doesn't pass enough).

9. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Re: Not that ambitious

This was last year's thread as a point of refference.

10. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia

If Freddy is a starter from day 1, I would expect something close to 25 points. But with Christian Gomez playing that a-mid spot so well, it will be tough for Freddy to get a secure spot in the lineup.

11. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think Adu will get 9 goals 11 assists

12. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS seems to have a lot of young guys who putter along in year one and break out in year two. Ex.

Alecko Eskandarian Y1 2003 3G 2A
    Alecko Eskandarian Y2 2004 10G 2A

Brian Ching Y1 2003 6G 2A
    Brian Ching Y2 2004 12G 4A

Ok, ok, these are just two examples...but my point is that he's going to be a whole new guy next season. He's got the first year jitters out of the way. He'll come out strong this coming season, earn a starting spot and excel.

Everyone has a tough time in their rookie year. He's only going to get better.

I'll go with over 10.

13. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Under. If he gets 10 goals I'll be thrilled. I'll say 6 goals 8-10 assists.

14. Michael CM1

Michael CM1 New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Atlanta, Georgia: US
    Since he takes a lot of corners and I'm doubting he'll play forward much with Jaime and Esky, I would say less than 10. I don't think anybody even scored 12 this year and the guys that did played forward and played there a lot. If Freddy can get more assists and get 5 goals again that will be good.

15. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

And I reiterate my feelings from last season:
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3222438&postcount=48

If Adu can average 0.33 goals per 90 minutes played, his season will be a rousing success.

Adu likely won't get the protection from the refs that he got last season. He's still only going to be 15/16 during the season. At some point - if he's played too much at his age and physical development, he's going to get hurt.

Assuming the US qualifies for the WYC, he'll be gone for most, if not all of, June:
    http://www.fifa.com/documents/tournaments/WYC2005/Match_Schedule_WYC2005.pdf

Frankly, 10 goals - while not out of reach - is probably a bit ambitious. What helps his cause is that he's the type of player that's capable of putting 2 or 3 in the net in a single game.

16. mellon002

mellon002 Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Towson, MD
    Freddy still has to find a spot in the starting lineup. -10

17. 10 fan

10 fan New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    United States
    Exactly. I don't see Adu overtaking Gomez this year. Maybe in 2006. But then of course he will have to miss considerable time due to the World Cup, right? ;)

18. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution

Just as a point of reference Freddy was fouled 50 times last season. With playing roughly 53% of the minutes of the season I'd say that's probably a lot. Arnaud, Mulrooney and Martino led the league in Fouls Suffered last year with 111, 89 and 84 respectively. They're all mainstays with their team. Mulrooney in fact played all 2700 minutes last season. Just a cursory look but here ya go.

FS/90
    Adu 3.125
    Arnaud 3.804
    Mulrooney 2.966
    Martino 3.286

19. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    7 goals
    15 assists

First callup. No first cap though. Only for a friendly.

20. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Past few years' assists leaders:
    2004 Jamie Moreno 14
    2003 Preki 17
    2002 Ralston 19
    2001 Serna/Perez 15
    2000 Valderama 26

Number of players with 10+ assists
    2004 (7)
    2003 (3)
    2002 (9)
    2001 (13)
    2000 (14)

21. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Number of players with 10+ goals
    2004 (10)
    2003 (11)
    2002 (11)
    2001 (8)
    2000 (14)

What all this is to say is that in MLS in the last five years guys reaching the double digit plateau in goals or assists is a relatively exclusive group. Usually in and around only ten or so guys. Of course in a ten team league that's not saying all that much but I still think it's a very tough mark for any guy to reach, especially Adu.

22. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The extra two games will definitely come into play. As will the fact that there are two expansion teams. Players like EJ who will likely miss a fair amount of time with the USMNT may struggle to get to 10, while players like Jaime Moreno and Davy Arnaud who will likely spend the summer with their clubs will be better placed to take advantage of the longer, watered down, schedule.

23. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I know people have broken down the leagu's scoring, goals per game and such with expansion, but I can't find those numbers right now. You're right in that expansion should see an increase in scoring probably due to the thinning of defensive talent. I'd forgotten about the two extra games however, which is a good point.

24. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I don't think that 1998 statistics are relevant. Back in 1998, there were basically 12 expansion teams. The league was reinventing itself every year or two - with the exception of a couple of teams each season that seemed to know what they were doing.

This time around there are only 2 expansion teams.

25. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I wish I had those numbers handy right now. I don't feel like taking the tiem to re-create them myself at the moment. To my memory the jump in goals scored per game was signifigant in '98. The level of relevance of that to now is best left for another thread, but I'll garuntee you scoring will go up next year. Intuitively it makes sense, at least to me.