Adidas Thread [16] - all info, pics and new here please.

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by appleCORR7, Aug 28, 2015.

1. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Does anyone else remember the Reebok Pig? - I think it was the same guy who did the Predators who came up with this design. No idea why it was called The Pig though. It never took off ....

johnston-pig-boots.jpg

Full marks for that curly mullet too!

appleCORR

derbyyank13 and newone88 repped this.
  2. cadmonkey12

cadmonkey12 Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't the PIG a detachable predator vamp that could be used on any boot?

3. keytoarson

keytoarson Member

Jan 22, 2009
    MN
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. derbyyank13

derbyyank13 Member+

Nov 8, 2008
    Niigata, Japan
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Damn I couldn't remember the name of the other Puma boot! The Shudoh!

As my gran always says "If you come up with a new idea, treat it gently. It's just a very old idea in new surroundings."

Dr. Boots repped this.
  5. derbyyank13

derbyyank13 Member+

Nov 8, 2008
    Niigata, Japan
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Street shoe for all types of street surfaces.

A new campaign will back it up soon. If they go through what they said they will do it will be interesting.........

Sorry for the double post!

6. Footballer-7

Footballer-7 Member

Jun 5, 2009
    Australia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    That's Craig Johnston, Australian and played for Liverpool! Certainly was one of the helped innovate the Predator boot, yep.

derbyyank13 repped this.
  7. keytoarson

keytoarson Member

Jan 22, 2009
    MN
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't wait to see that disaster of a campaign... how in the world do you play on the street with studs?

8. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I don't think any brand really picked up on the PIG model. There was an attachment you could slide on any boot and there was the boot he has in hand there, but no one went for it and they never really left the prototype stage. I recall an article saying that he was "in talks" with major brands about developing the boot further and he won some type of inventor award for it though.

He eventually ended up homeless when his football school idea failed. He is also falsely (to my knowledge) credited in a lot of articles with the invention of the Traxion system....I am pretty sure he didn't come up with those.

9. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    My guess is they are either going to have two boots, one for AG and one for court or this is some type of Tunit style boot with studs that can come off. I am praying for the former, but expecting the latter.

10. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Wasn't he the one who claimed he started the predator idea and Adidas took it? He said he glued ping pong paddle material to boots as a experiment I believe...

11. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He actually came up with the idea and sold it off to adidas. At least the first three Preds had "Johnston" on the rubber somwhere. As the "fins and jets" of the Pulsion rubber became more just flat rubber, he seemed to have vanished from the scene at adidas. Not sure the back story on that though.

There was a very cheap boot in the 80's that had what looked like ping pong rubber on them, Eagle I think they were called. I can't find pics of them anymore with a quick Google search, but they were around in the UK way back when. I question how "original" Johnston's idea was, but he got the biggest football brand in the world at the time to buy in.

newone88 and Bolivianfuego repped this.
  12. newone88

newone88 Member

May 2, 2006
    San Francisco
    When I was a kid, we used to play mostly on sand, so we did not wear shoes. We wore shoes for street soccer and official matches in school.
    So to protect our feet, we started to wear ankle sleeves (similar to what you see martial arts people wear). First, we started with just a layer of fabric and then we looked for ones with added padding for protection and added power. Some of the guys started to add other elements for better grip and swerve like I remember someone adding a piece of leather (his grandmother stitched it for him).
    This was in the early 80s. Had no idea we were inventors then...(-:

ank.PNG

jessepv and AdidasPredatorMANIAC repped this.
  13. derbyyank13

derbyyank13 Member+

Nov 8, 2008
    Niigata, Japan
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    They are rubber if I remember right.

14. cadmonkey12

cadmonkey12 Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The next generation Ace sole plate looks similar to the old sprintframe sole plates. Does anyone know if the weight will come down on the next generation?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AdidasPredatorMANIAC repped this.
  15. jayc23

jayc23 Member+

Dec 2, 2011
    Singapore
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    is it going to be an SL version though? I've seen some versions that retain a soleplate similar to the FG/AG soleplate.

16. Pangu

Pangu Member

Jan 4, 2004
    Australia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Looks just like the 11pro SL

17. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think the current Ace soleplate looks amazing - but I can feel absolutely no benefit to the little studs on turf or on a FG pitch.

I did however have my first kick out in a pair of Nitrocharges today. As I said before its never been a boot I've wanted to try because of how thick the upper felt but I was pleasantly surprised. I've had trouble with my big toe joint since fracturing it last summer and I had no pain at all in these boots. Made a nice surprise. I can see them being a really nice boot when the upper softens up a little bit more - I only played Crossbars with a friend but they felt great. Not sure how great they will be to freestyle in as a usually prefer a thinner upper.

appleCORR

18. JEN14

JEN14 Red Card

May 8, 2014
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    The soleplate is amazing on the Ace!!!!!!

19. sleithelbizzle

Sep 13, 2011
    Montrose
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    So I went for a pair of miadidas ace's instead of waiting for the primeknit version to come out in december/late november. Anyone recieved their boots earlier than the 4-5weeks adidas say they will take? If you can't tell already I am a pretty impatient lad! Haha

20. The Footy Collector

May 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I got my aces in just over three weeks. Like 3 weeks an couple of days. It's worth the wait, only complaint I had was the smell. They just reeked of glue, plastic and cutting oil. Other than that they're great!

sleithelbizzle repped this.
  21. sleithelbizzle

Sep 13, 2011
    Montrose
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Good to know, yeah I heard about the glue but then you got to expect that being custom and made then shipped straight away instead of mass produced then sat in warehouses for abit. Hopefully arrive in a couple weeks then! I will be waiting anxiously for a dispatch email!

22. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Anyone experiencing medial/lateral stability issues with the ACE Primeknit? I tried them on yesterday and I thought they were comfortable and much better feeling on foot than the normal synthetic ACE (but better than leather), but I felt like hard plants and cuts would cause a "spill over" effect in the boot.

To be fair, I feel the same about the knitted Nike boots, but the Flywire and Brio cables add a bit of stability and structure to the boots. Also, I didn't get to try on the X, which might be more stable with the cage, but probably not much as it is just some plastic.

23. cadmonkey12

cadmonkey12 Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a great example of why I'm so burned out on the newest realeses from just about all the brands. My next adidas will probably be Copas...and definately not one of their skittle flavored new boots.
    [​IMG]

newone88 repped this.
  24. Soccerstyle09

Soccerstyle09 Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    My question exactly. I've seen pics that have the current outsole and stud pattern and ones that have the more traditional 11 studs. I'd hate to see adidas abandon the fg/ag outsole concept so soon. I think it's a great idea that should be fine tuned. Although fine tuning isn't something that a lot of the big brands are concerned with doing it seems. But maybe the new stud pattern will be classified as fg/ag

25. Footballer-7

Footballer-7 Member

Jun 5, 2009
    Australia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Agree! Some colorway releases just seem like the designers have thrown stuff at a wall & seen what stuck.. And then picked up and used what didn't.