Adams walks out on Wycombe

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by ArsenalTexan3, Nov 9, 2004.

1. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  2. Detlef

Detlef Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I beat Wycombe 6-1 with Darlington in my season of FIFA '05 a few days ago and was thinking to myself that good thing this isn't real or Tony would quit.

4. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
  5. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Przybylinski

Przybylinski New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Smallville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Probably better for him to leave. That club might drive him to drink again the way they are playing. TA just might not be cut out for coaching. It will be interesting to see what happens with the team as they get a new coach.

7. footballer10

footballer10 New Member

May 14, 2001
    Flower Mound, TX
    Isn't the reserve team coach position open at Arsenal? It could be good for all parties involved.

8. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    You've been a great sport about it all and I felt bad making the joke but I knew someone else would do it if I didn't. That was officially the last time I'll bring it up, yiou've more than paid your debt to society in my eyes.

10. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The reporters at the Star must have read your post.Adams return to Arsenal? -Teamtalk

11. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't believe the Star got it wrong. I'm going to cancel my subscription and find a new paper to wrap my fish in. ;)

13. Detlef

Detlef Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe

Damm right!! Well done for getting their first!!! By the way did you hear the time TopCat was at Highbury and he was near the entrance. Charlie George was there and was signing autographes, topcat was next and he asked the bloke next to him who it was......!! I dunno, I worry about you topcat!!!

15. dwinkler

dwinkler New Member

Aug 11, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Ummm...no. Arsenal's a serious club with serious ambitions - do we really need a self-absorbed flake in the mix? I think Tony's strong suit is to give long, rambling, self-serious interviews to Ian Ridley every 6 months or so, just so we all know he's still around. Not so sure that he'll ever become a great manager - or even a good one.

Is it just me, or does soccer, more than any sport, assume that just because a guy was a superstar player he'll make a good manager? Bryan Robson - horrible manager, right? Great player, a legend from everything I hear. Ruud Gullit - nearly killed Newcastle, didn't he? Saw him back on the sidelines in Holland this weekend. Alan Shearer has already been mentioned as Newcastle's next boss. Roberto Mancini landed a plum job right after retiring. Klinsmann went from hanging out in the US to managing the German national team. Lothar Mattheus - a colossal bust in Austria, wasn't he?

Before we again mention "Tony Adams," "Arsenal," and "management" in the same breath, maybe we should wait awhile and see if a) he's serious about it, and b) if he's any good at it.

16. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Spot on dwinkler, the game is littered with star players who have failed miserably in management. Although I think Mattheus did well in Serbia with Partizan Belgrade, so I guess the jury is out on him.

17. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that's not EXACTLY what happened, although I have learned that facts, well, let's say, aren't always relevant on bs. And just so you know, I really, deeply appreciate your concern, Judge Kangaroo..., errr, I mean, Rick. :D Just don't let Nice back in here to be the hangman again!! :eek:

18. Detlef

Detlef Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    I think he's also Hungary's coach these days, which means someone must think he's pretty good.

20. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    I think he's also Hungary's coach these days, which means someone must think he's pretty good.

The game is also littered with mediocre and poor players who have done well in management. Perhaps directors feel that someone who can boss players around on the pitch should be able to do the same off of it. Seems logical to me.

21. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Sorry to hear about Tony leaving Wycombe. Let's hope his time there doesn't lead him to the local pub....ouch! Sorry, couldn't help myself.

I am a firm believer that not every great player makes for a great manager. Some average players make GREAT managers because they work well with orgnanizing personalities, tactics, and have a fantastic work ethic. Many stars in every sport were not very friendly or had tremendous G-d given ability, so they didn't need to train as hard as others might need.

Martin Keown would make a fine manager, IMHO!!!

KEEEEEEEOOOOOWN, There's only 1 KEOWN!

22. Claus KJ

Claus KJ New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Aarhus, Denmark
    That's Wenger you're talking about here, isn't it? He was at best a mediocre player, who turned out to be a somewhat decent manager. Or great manager if you will.

KJ