Adam Federici

Discussion in 'Aussies Abroad' started by ace_helicopter, Sep 26, 2008.

1. ace_helicopter

ace_helicopter New Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Federici seals loan move to Shrimpers

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/s/2036126_federici_seals_loan_move_to_shrimpers
    By Nick Ive
    26/ 9/2008

Adam Federici has vowed to knock Marcus Hahnemann off top spot once he returns from a loan spell with Southend United.
    The Aussie keeper yesterday clinched a one-month switch to the League 1 Shrimpers and is set to make his debut tonight at home to Leyton Orient.
    The 21-year-old told the Evening Post: “It is a great chance for me to get some games in and that is better than sitting on the bench not doing much.
    “The one thing I haven’t really done is play many league games so this is a great opportunity.
    “It’s a drop down in divisions which isn’t ideal, but then again I don’t think I would like to play for a club in the same division as Reading as I wouldn’t want to help another club – there would be a real conflict.”
    Federici has had to be content with playing cup games over the past couple of seasons due to the form of No. 1 Hahnemann.
    But the confident understudy is ready to push his mentor and friend all the way when he returns from Roots Hall.
    “It’s only for one month and I can come back if Marcus was to get injured.
    “I am desperate to push Marcus all the way and hopefully when I come back I can knock the big man of his perch.
    “My dream is to play for Reading. I have worked so hard over the years for that and that hasn’t changed one bit.
    “I’m going to train my heart out and just try and get in there.
    “I can’t do any more and Marcus can’t do any less because he has played so well.
    “It’s bad to say but I have to wait for him to slip up to get me in there.
    “It’s a hard situation because I’m desperate to play but I’m also happy when we win. I’m in a hard position.”
    Federici will join another Royals starlet at Southend as Hal Robson-Kanu is on loan with the Essex club.
    “He’s doing really well,” said Federici. “They love him down there and the move has worked out well for him.
    “Hopefully it will be good for me.”
    Federici missed the chance to be Reading’s hero on Tuesday night following their 4-3 penalty shoot-out defeat at Stoke City in the Carling Cup.
    And the keeper admitted: “That was the first one I’ve been involved in and it was quite un-nerving.
    “It was exciting and I had a feeling it would happen once we went into extra time. I had the chance to be a hero but it passed me by.
    “But they were good penalties – they were all in the corners, but I’m really disappointed I didn’t keep a couple out because I got my finger to one.
    “They did well although they did give us a chance when they missed the target, but we couldn’t capitalise on it.”

2. ace_helicopter

Apr 29, 2007
    great news for Adam Federici....started the game against Leyton Orient on Friday night

3. Wezza

Wezza Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Yeah good move IMO, sitting on the bench ain't doing him any favours. I'd like to see him get a move to at least another championship club as their starting keeper. After seeing him play in the Olympics, i think he's a good stopper. Him Spiranovic are probably the only reasons why we didn't concede more goals. Just think he needs to work on his distribution a bit.

4. ace_helicopter

Apr 29, 2007
    Federici scores for Reading

Absolutely sensational!

Federici scores in the 6th minute of extra time to steal a draw for Reading!

Cant wait to see the goal...assume it will be a header or similar from a set piece.

Not a bad way to keep your place in the team!

5. ace_helicopter

Apr 29, 2007
    just seen more detail...from a corner..6 yards out with his right foot

6. ace_helicopter

Apr 29, 2007
    http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/fo...cardiff_city_1

Reading 1 Cardiff City 1

26/12/2008

Adam Federici spared Reading's blushes at the Madejski Stadium by scoring an extraordinary last second equaliser in the dying moments of extra time.

The game looked done and dusted after Chopra put Cardiff ahead with just two minutes of normal time left on the clock but Federici, watched by his father, went up for a final corner and somehow managed to bundle the ball into the back of the net.

Mounted police had to step in to restore order at the end of the match as the Cardiff fans vented their anger at the result.

7. ace_helicopter

Apr 29, 2007
    http://www.readingfc.co.uk/page/MatchReport/0,,10306~43584,00.html

Reading 1 (Federici 90+6)
    Cardiff 1 (Chopra 89)

Goalkeeper Adam Federici scored an incredible injury time equaliser as the Royals snatched a dramatic late draw at home to Cardiff on this Boxing Day.

It was an absolutely sensational finish to the game, Federici smashing home from close range after coming up for a corner in the sixth minute of injury time.

City looked to have stolen all three points themselves just a minute before full time when Michael Chopra, arguably lucky to be on the pitch, stabbed home from close range.

But Federici had other ideas, and the roof nearly came off Madejski Stadium as he lashed into the net.

In the end, a draw was a fair result after a game in which neither team hit top gear. But the manner of the draw gives us a huge boost, and keeps us in second position in the League on goal difference.

Reading: Federici; Rosenior, Armstrong; Duberry, Ingimarsson; Cisse, Harper (c), Henry (Kebe 62), S Hunt; Doyle, N Hunt (Long 63)
    Subs: Andersen, Gunnarsson, Matejovsky
    Booked: N Hunt (foul 14), Armstrong (foul 44)

Cardiff: Enckelman; McNaughton, Kennedy, R Johnson, Gyepes; Ledley (c), Rae, Routledge, Parry (Whittinghamj 86); Bothroyd, Chopra
    Subs: Heaton, Comminges, McPhail, E Johnson
    Booked: Chopra (foul 37), R Johnson (foul 42)

Ref: A Hall

Attendance: 22,770

more detail..........

We won a corner, and Federici went up for it in desperation. He threw himself at the header, and it was difficult to see who got a touch at that point as the first effort was blocked on the line. It fell back to Federici only two yards out and he hammered home, nearly bursting the net - UNBELIEVABLE!

The final whistle blew as soon as Cardiff kicked off again, and we celebrated like we had won the FA Cup!

Unfortunately there were unsavoury scenes involving Cardiff fans after the final whistle, but in footballing terms it was an incredible day that Reading players and supporters - and Federici in particular - will simply never forget.

8. Iaco

Iaco Member

Apr 1, 2006
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Any footage of the goal yet?

9. RickChelsea

RickChelsea Member

Sep 28, 2008
    sidknee
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mozambique
  10. Wezza

Wezza Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Haha, awesome stuff!

11. cmedina1983

cmedina1983 New Member

Nov 14, 2008
    California
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Been looking for footage, but can only find dumbshits posting up the fighting with police after the game.

12. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    http://www.football.virginmedia.com/page/Home/

hopefully you can navigate your way from there, although I don't know if it'll work outside the UK.

The highlights do show what an utterly dreadful game it was, right until the end.

13. Glory08

Glory08 Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Perth, Australia
    Ah it's just great to see him getting some decent match time with the club, atlast. And that means Championship football too, so none of this League One/Two stuff that he would've continually faced if he continued to be loaned out. And now that he's getting a game, could it be a case of, he who is patient, may be blessed? Given that he's even scoring goals for his team! lol

Hopefully the American keeper, Hahnemann, will have a tough time getting his spot back off Federici. At this rate, it could be possible, especially as I hear Feders' signed a new contract extension while the American #1 is in his final year and yet to sign/agree on an extension. :eek: The #1 IS in his mid-late 30s too, so could be on his way out for the much younger and quite promising Aussie?

14. ace_helicopter

Apr 29, 2007
    here's the footage....
    [ame="http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=PAGcvP47gY8"]YouTube - adam federici[/ame]

poor bastard had no chance to do his own celebration!

15. RickChelsea

RickChelsea Member

Sep 28, 2008
    sidknee
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mozambique
    What a champion

16. cmedina1983

cmedina1983 New Member

Nov 14, 2008
    California
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Hahah, hell yeah!

17. vonni

vonni Member

May 26, 2007
    the dirty south
    echoes paul robinson all those years ago against swidon down

18. cmedina1983

cmedina1983 New Member

Nov 14, 2008
    California
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    ******** me, I just listened to the audio on that clip for the first time today. Could the announcer be any less enthused with that goal? You'd think he was a Cardiff supporter with the way he called that.

19. RickChelsea

RickChelsea Member

Sep 28, 2008
    sidknee
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mozambique
    Hehehe, i think that was local commentary actually

20. epic_awesomeness

epic_awesomeness New Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
  21. RickChelsea

RickChelsea Member

Sep 28, 2008
    sidknee
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mozambique
  22. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    The last time before he Olympics I remember seeing the big unit was in some youth tournament SBS was showing years back- and he looked overweight and useless in it.

Good to see he's improved! ;)

23. RickChelsea

RickChelsea Member

Sep 28, 2008
    sidknee
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mozambique
    Lol, he's still a bit of a porko these days really. Whatever works for him i guess:D

24. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Surprised there's been no updates... he's playing relatively well this season, first choice now that Marcus Hahnemann is gone. Reading is hovering around the relegation zone, but that's more down to their complete inability to score goals other than anything else.

25. Grinners89

Grinners89 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Hopefully him and Jones get a chance to go the the WC.