Activate Another Lever and Still Lose to a Madrid Remontada - The Small Teams Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by MiamiNative0722, Sep 2, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. russian hattie

russian hattie Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Although I find the strength of a league topic boring and pointless I think it points to something else, and a weakness in teams in general. I don’t know if it’s just how I see it. But look at the last four in this seasons champions league for example. It is very weak. Even ourselves as possibly favourite now, we aren’t a team that dominates others like we have in the past.

Shay Z repped this.
  2. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It's about teams and matchups. Some teams just captured a moment. Juande Ramos' Sevilla was like nothing else. I don't think we've seen a team capture that perfect moment every since. Truly a dangerous dangerous team, felt like all they touched turned to gold.

3. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    As much as I don't think this isn't the architect of Manchester Uniteds Problems, he sure is delusional, but gotta hold on to that seat.

4. Raul-7

Raul-7 Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 17, 2006
    Also it's about revenue; Valencia used to be one of the top teams with top talent like Villa, Vicente, Ayala, etc. Now they have a ghost stadium that might never be finished.

upload_2024-4-23_4-41-8.jpeg

5. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Meanwhile, La familia will be completed by 2026.

6. Seoul Villan

Seoul Villan Member+

Feb 16, 2011
    The economic crisis of 2008 hit Spain especially hard. Teams like Valencia and Sevilla lost their spending power and more importantly, players were sold off across the league in the youth academy and budgets were cut heavily in that area. Instead of being able to take on 200 kids, now that’s only 75. It’s a numbers game, the more you can develop the better chances a few turn out. Small clubs that rely on the develop and sell model suffered the most. Plus you had the new oil clubs like City and PSG hovering up every kid that looked decent they didn’t care if only one developed, the rest were expendable which has a knock on effect.

It’s actually good for the league that Athletico had its run when it did. But like Sevilla and Valencia, they will regress back to mid to lower table once Simone is gone and their finances are an absolute shambles right now.

7. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Mourinho has evolved from throwing his own players under the bus, to throwing players under the bus that once played for him.

Fantastically out of touch.

I'd love him to join Bayern. :D

8. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    Meh, the EPL has the English language advantage. The other advantage that I can see is/was Oil money, Russian Oligarch money, and now American Billionaire money pouring into that league moreso than others. La Liga also has a few top teams that actively CHOOSE to play with one hand tied behind their back, vis a vis the Basque giants that either DON'T import players from abroad, or AVOID importing non-Basques.

If Athletic plugged in a handful of top players from abroad, what could THAT club be? They're already often Champions League material without doing so. [And yes, I already understand their history and why they do what they do, but if say, Newcastle or ManURE only recruited from the Midlands, would they be as successful? I doubt it.]

That said, money ALONE won't lift those teams; see the examples of Chelski and ManURE as Billion Pound Bottle Jobs. EPL clubs also had to import managers and sporting directors from the continent, in order to figure out WTF they're doing. [I honestly do not rate a single native English-speaking manager or sporting director, regardless of their country of origin.]

What's more, the opposite side of the EPL's largesse, is "what do you do, when your Bililon Pound investments go sideways?" How, exactly, will Chelski and ManURE and other overspending sides dispose of their stoopid purchases? Saudi can only take on so much, and the rest of the continent do not have the revenues to buy and pay for a turd like Jackson on Chelski, or Antony on ManURE.

Meanwhile, as Barca unwind the criminal stoopidity of Bartomeu, the generation of Messi/CR7 have also moved on. [Looking back a few years, La Liga boasted the lion's share of Balon D'Or vote-getters.] We're all just accustomed to recent hegemony over that competition.

La Liga is as strong as ever. Don't buy into the moronic mouthbreathing English media types who are out to fap their own country. They can't coach without importing managerial minds from the Iberian Peninsula. They can't recruit without the sporting minds from the continent. And for the most part, they can't play a modern game, excepting a small minority of wealthy teams.

Carry on...

9. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    That's the thing though, Spanish football is tied to regional culture and politics to a degree like no other european League. You will not change the way Basque clubs operate, Barca's separatist stance, or any other club in the country.

Lim found out himself, you can't buy a club in Spain and expect to be received with a red carpet treatment simply because you own it.

Personally I think the best idea has been to tie clubs to the tourism industry, the way Barca has done so for years.

saadomar, Saeta Rubia and Khan repped this.
  10. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    #21210 Khan, Apr 23, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2024
    As noted, I understand that.

I'm just pointing out that two clubs that would otherwise be pretty dynamite on the Continent choose not to. For "reasons." The EPL has no such club that engages in self-inflicted limitations.

And in comparing leagues, La Liga would be even STRONGER if, say, Haaland were paired with the Williams brothers in San Mames, for example. But alas, here we are.

That said, its only one issue out of a few, when comparing leagues, or wondering why it feels like "La Liga has fallen behind."

And agreed that Lim is/was a moron.

11. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  12. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Real Madrid
    Colombia
    Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

What club I wonder?

Aensensen repped this.
  13. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Main issue of Valencia fans with Lim was him using the club as Gestifute's farm club. And when they had a nice run going finally with Marcelino and Alemany, Lim's ego sabotaged it.

He was so pissed that Valencia played starters in CDR though they went on to win the tournament beating Barca in the final and Marcelino achieved Lim's main goal which was Top 4 finish as well.

Raul-7 repped this.
  14. Nathanial Essex

Nathanial Essex Member+

Real Madrid
    England
    Mar 19, 2017
    Odegaard has ridiculous vision and passing ability.

15. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another matchday where Chelsea get embarrassed. Havertz celebrating against his former club

16. Nathanial Essex

Nathanial Essex Member+

Real Madrid
    England
    Mar 19, 2017
    Jackson is the embodiment of a lack of confidence.

17. boeder

boeder Member+

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Feb 27, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You know you're sh!t when bloody Havertz bags a brace against you..

18. boeder

boeder Member+

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Feb 27, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Oh damn Chelsea getting spanked..

Aensensen and MiamiNative0722 repped this.
  19. boeder

boeder Member+

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Feb 27, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    He might not be the architect but he's definitely one of the chief engineers.

Anon., PigBenis, Aensensen and 1 other person repped this.
  20. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Boehly's cluelessly assembled team looking clueless. What a surprise. :D

PigBenis, Digital and MiamiNative0722 repped this.
  21. Nathanial Essex

Nathanial Essex Member+

Real Madrid
    England
    Mar 19, 2017
    Genuinely never heard of half of the players in the team until this season. Even today I took a look at the team sheet and had no idea centre backs were and just found out this Madueke guy is English.

22. AppleBob86

AppleBob86 Member+

Real Madrid
    Jan 11, 2018
    Enzo dropping a casual 4.7 rating

23. AppleBob86

AppleBob86 Member+

Real Madrid
    Jan 11, 2018
    Without palmer goals, Chelsea would be 18th. Amazing.

Anon., PigBenis, Digital and 1 other person repped this.
  24. Regis Prograis

Regis Prograis Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 8, 2020
    Pretty sure Diassi played in the World Cup final and Badiashile was supposedly good in Ligue 1, having just broke into the French Senior team, they’ve been crap for Chelsea though.

25. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--