Activate Another Lever and Still Lose to a Madrid Remontada - The Small Teams Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by MiamiNative0722, Sep 2, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Don't worry, Howard Webb will explain this away a few weeks from now. Wonder what the rationale for any sane ref would have been. Regardless of how the handball rules have changed over the years, this would have been called consistently under any rule.

And my lord, Jackson is a brutal striker. Dude needs to play in a relegation battler, but I guess that's Chelsea's standard nowadays.

2. Dr. MvN

Dr. MvN Member+

Real Madrid
    United States
    Oct 22, 2018
    Estados Unidos
    There's a somewhat uncomfortable parallel I've noticed in thinking about Bayern (not that something that happened 12 years ago has any bearing on what happens in 2024, just a parallel).

We faced Bayern in the semis in 2012. First leg away, second leg home, just like this year. Up until this season, 2012 is the last time Bayern failed to win the Bundesliga (they finished four points behind Dortmund). During the 2012 SF tie, we more-or-less clinched La Liga when winning the Clásico that took place between the legs; here in 2024 we're in strong position to win La Liga.

I know Man City was seen as the juggernaut, as the team that if we could overcome them then we can overcome anyone, and that's true, but Bayern is unequivocally not going to be an easy ride by any means. And given that the Bundesliga is out of reach for them by now, obviously they don't like that in terms of their goals for the season, but it does mean that they can put all their focus on the semifinal games, whereas were not quite in position to be able to do that (although we will be pretty close to that territory with a win tomorrow).

So we're favorites, we should like our chances, but the difficult part is far from done with. As it should be; there are no easy games in the Champions League semifinals, ever.

Shay Z, RoadMan, Deep Pal and 1 other person repped this.
  3. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Wouldn't even call us favorites. It's a 50/50 tie. Bayern have nothing to play for but this. We're better positioned than we were vs. City, with our pace up front against their slow CBs, and our midfield should dominate, but their front line worries me and Tuchel has always had an upper hand.

Shay Z, S1na, Digital and 2 others repped this.
  4. Dr. MvN

Dr. MvN Member+

Real Madrid
    United States
    Oct 22, 2018
    Estados Unidos
    Yeah, the Tuchel factor weighs a lot here. We've had several battles with him in recent years and in particular he really out-leveraged Zidane in 2021. Not entirely Zizou's fault, we were battered by injuries at that time and I think part of it was simply running out of gas (we tried to fight a 2-front battle and we ended with nothing to show for it as a result; still really proud of that team when I reflect on them), and of course 2022 looked like good position after our fortuitous 3-1 away win in the first leg only to get dominated in the home leg and need Luka and Rodrygo to save us at the end. Which also touches on another thing - we have a sustained history of not holding onto good away 1st leg results very well in the second leg at home...we defeated Bayern away in the first leg 2-1 in both 2017 and 2018, and both times the home leg was a comparative fiasco (2018 against Juve, 2019 against Ajax, 2022 against Chelsea, 2024 against Leipzig...in every case, a better away result in the 1st leg than home result in the 2nd leg; that's six times it's happened since 2017, which is kinda crazy).

I rate us as favorites because I think we have the better team, straight up. You can call it 50/50, I'll probably say 55/45 us, obviously not overwhelming favorites in any scenario. And that can shift if we can't at least keep Barcelona at bay tomorrow and instead have to put forth a strong XI for the trip to Anoeta before the semis...after what figure to be two extremely difficult games, we really could use the chance to get some rotation before going back to the CL battles. Fede in particular needs a game where he doesn't play, a game where maybe the equipment staff "forgets" to pack his kit and he's not able to play.

Shay Z, S1na, RoadMan and 3 others repped this.
  5. hector_br

hector_br Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    Damn great posts.
    Those who think we have already won should give them a read.

Dr. MvN repped this.
  6. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Real Madrid
    Colombia
    Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

This is the semifinals of the CL. No easy matchup is possible

S1na, Ahmadi8, hector_br and 1 other person repped this.
  7. AppleBob86

AppleBob86 Member+

Real Madrid
    Jan 11, 2018
    When all said and done..

We Are Real Madrid.

Deep Pal and J-Mezzy repped this.
  8. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Real Madrid
    Colombia
    Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

And we never give up :D

hector_br, Deep Pal and AppleBob86 repped this.
  9. AppleBob86

AppleBob86 Member+

Real Madrid
    Jan 11, 2018
    Never, ever.

Deep Pal and J-Mezzy repped this.
  10. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Real Madrid
    Colombia
    Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    In doubt

hector_br and AppleBob86 repped this.
  11. sneakking

sneakking Member+

Sep 11, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    tough test for Leverkusen today going to Dortmund who needs to win to get up to 4th

although I guess it's moot if Germany gets the fifth spot

12. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Real Madrid
    Colombia
    Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

When will Xabi start rotating? They got the league title already

13. sneakking

sneakking Member+

Sep 11, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he might start today

although the undefeated streak has to be tempting

14. AppleBob86

AppleBob86 Member+

Real Madrid
    Jan 11, 2018
    Apparently, the championship is one the best leagues in the world but Coventry being walked all over by United.

That PR is something else.

Shay Z and Galatico repped this.
  15. AppleBob86

AppleBob86 Member+

Real Madrid
    Jan 11, 2018
    The gulf in quality between Premier league and Championship is a joke.

There is a reason why the three that came up last season are the three going down this season.

16. .halamadrid2.

.halamadrid2. Member+

Nov 5, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    TAA is so good with his long balls, deadballs, crosses. Great FK

17. AppleBob86

AppleBob86 Member+

Real Madrid
    Jan 11, 2018
    Coventry get two goals because United have stopped playing. Unbelievable what I’m seeing.

Can only think that United players had it won

18. Nathanial Essex

Nathanial Essex Member+

Real Madrid
    England
    Mar 19, 2017
    I swear Onana is a master at making it out that there is nothing he can do to save a goal. So many times I see him, he adopts the wrong footed pose and just watches the ball roll past him.

19. Nathanial Essex

Nathanial Essex Member+

Real Madrid
    England
    Mar 19, 2017
    Oh my God, penalty. Hope it stands!

20. AppleBob86

AppleBob86 Member+

Real Madrid
    Jan 11, 2018
    Can’t believe what I am seeing with United.

Ten Hag must resign or be sacked.

Completely stopped playing at 70 minutes and Coventry were like having a kick about with themselves.

21. ImadEdd

ImadEdd Member+

Real Madrid
    Morocco
    Feb 17, 2019
    They are so weak. How could they give up a 3 goal lead against COVENTRY!

22. Nathanial Essex

Nathanial Essex Member+

Real Madrid
    England
    Mar 19, 2017
    I can't blame Ten Hag for any of United's struggles. Just shit from the very top.

23. AppleBob86

AppleBob86 Member+

Real Madrid
    Jan 11, 2018
    His in game management has been garbage.

Firstly take off Garnacho and trouble creeps in. Then Coventry score, United stop playing and he doesn’t react.

He’s a big part of the problem.

24. ImadEdd

ImadEdd Member+

Real Madrid
    Morocco
    Feb 17, 2019
    How can’t you? Why wouldn’t you? He is as much to blame as any single person that decides or plays in that team for their poor performances.

Anon. repped this.
  25. Galatico

Galatico Member+

Real Madrid
    United States
    Aug 15, 2019
    United are the Dallas Cowboys of this sport

ImadEdd and J-Mezzy repped this.