Activate Another Lever and Still Lose to a Madrid Remontada - The Small Teams Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by MiamiNative0722, Sep 2, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    I feel sorry for Shef Utd fans. The club was in huge financial troubles and they were a bit of a surprise to most in getting promoted last season. Because of the financial problems, they used the promotion money to sort the club out and stop them going bust, while also selling their best players for the same reason.

They did end up signing some players but not many. They are basically a worse team now than they were last season.

Shay Z, 4x4s, Zidane05 and 2 others repped this.
  2. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

:D

fierro repped this.
  3. rrrrrafik

rrrrrafik Member

Real Madrid
    Aug 26, 2007
    Spain
    inb4 Eden Hazard announces he is coming out of retirement

4. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Piqué thinks the club should stop fooling the fans into believing that they can compete. Just tell people the club needs to roll back it's expectations for a few years and become financially viable again.

5. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol, thanks for the chuckle

rrrrrafik repped this.
  6. Raumdeuter

Raumdeuter Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Man City has won 3 in a row probably might win 4 in a row.
    Italy has had 4 different winners in the last 4 yrs

Which one do you think neutral fans tuned to watch last weekend? Napoli vs Juve or Man City vs Man Utd

Nathanial Essex repped this.
  7. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He himself wasn't admitting it few months back. Rather than admit Barca's financial condition is bad, he coupled RM and Barca together and said both can't sign best players anymore. :D

Now that his buddy Xavi is criticized so much, they are broke and shouldn't have high expectations. Though they managed to spend 200 ME+ in 2022 summer and the narrative was squad is even better with signings like Felix and Cancelo last summer.

8. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yea, Milan derby and Juve vs Milan teams fixture was star studded 20 years back and there used to be a lot of interest. It's been a downward spiral since.

Inter right now have a better team than Utd and Chelsea though. Those two spent billions on trash. Utd brand has stagnated since Moyes era basically. If they continued Fergie era kind of success for another decade, their revenue would be past 1 billion now given the lucrative PL.

Anon. repped this.
  9. Raumdeuter

Raumdeuter Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I agree with you. My point is that different champions every season does not bring significantly more fans. What brings fans to watch are the star players in the league

Between 07 and 2013 French league had different winners every season, No one was tuning in to watch Montpellier win the league nor remember anyone from the team.

I wiIl say more people watched French league with PSG guaranteed to win when Messi Neymar Mbappe Zlatan etc were in the league than when they were changing champions every season

Nathanial Essex and 4x4s repped this.
  10. Akramzizou

Akramzizou Member+

Feb 13, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Their squad isn't even bad, it's pretty good and complete in most positions. Horrible luck with injuries for sure, but they do have decent depth, especially in attack and in CB. Maybe Xavi is just incompetent, why look everywhere but there.

Khan and Saeta Rubia repped this.
  11. hector_br

hector_br Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    Most of their hyped-up players, especially Vitor Roque and Gavi, are pretty average IMO.

12. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol. I didn't know it was really called the "Uber eats" league, thought that was a joke. Now this, I'm thinking you can't be serious.

13. Akramzizou

Akramzizou Member+

Feb 13, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Gavi is still a good player in their system though, and Vitor Roque is a backups backup.

14. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It's a sponsorship. We'll surely have teams named after sponsors at some point like it is the norm in Spanish basketball.

15. Ahmadi8

Ahmadi8 Member+

Apr 14, 2005
    Bahrain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    But UEFA and Premier league fans said that's what the game needs!

16. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The discussion was that a competition should have participation based on merit.

People want the best teams to compete, the Superleague was supposed to create a system of those who are in and those who aren't.

If Florentino would've been about improving the CL format he would have every chance to contribute and do so. But eventually that wasn't the issue. It was money.

Along with Florentino's political career the Superleague has to be the biggest flop of his professional life.

Nathanial Essex repped this.
  17. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Mbappe back in the starting lineup immediately after he showed insubordination last game by going to the stands after getting subbed off. Looks like tough guy Luis Enrique isn't tough enough to punish him

18. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid

19. AppleBob86

AppleBob86 Member+

Real Madrid
    Jan 11, 2018
    Please tell me they not renaming the French Ligue 1 McDonald’s?

20. hector_br

hector_br Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    To be honest, I respect McDonald's much more than EA Sports as a business. I'll take a Big Mac over a virtual player card scam designed to rip off kids.

RoadMan repped this.
  21. Nathanial Essex

Nathanial Essex Member+

Real Madrid
    England
    Mar 19, 2017
    Yeah. Manchester City can win the league for another 10 years in a row and more people will still tune in. It's about the players and presentation.

We're at a point where a middling Premier League team can offer better wages to a Serie A winning player and convince them to move. There needs to be really good people running the likes of La Liga and Serie A to make it appeal to a wider audience.

22. .halamadrid2.

.halamadrid2. Member+

Nov 5, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Davies starts on the bench.

23. Raumdeuter

Raumdeuter Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Agreed. Star players and coaches is the biggest attraction to a league
    In the 2010s everyone wanted to watch La Liga because of the player quality. Messi vs Ronaldo was enough to shut down all airwaves. Plus the Pep vs Jose wars. Add Zidane
    Until other leagues have the money to compete for top player transfer fees and wages, The EPL will continue to rule even if City wins 10 in a row

Now Inter Milan the best team in Serie A has Alexis, Arnautovic, Mikitaryan, Darmian
    Milan - Loftus Cheek, Giroud, Pulisic, Tomori

Sounds like a bunch of either past it or flopped youths from the EPL

Thats one reason why Dortmund rehabilitation of former players like Sahin Sancho Gotze will never make them a top side

24. AppleBob86

AppleBob86 Member+

Real Madrid
    Jan 11, 2018
  25. Ssr9

Ssr9 Member+

Real Madrid
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sydney
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Mali
    Watching the Sociedad PSG game....Mbappe is insane. Just blew past the Sociedad right back like he wasn't there...almost a goal.

I cannot imagine teams having to deal with him and Vini....ridiculous..