Activate Another Lever and Still Lose to a Madrid Remontada - The Small Teams Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by MiamiNative0722, Sep 2, 2022.

1. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A fantastic draw for Leverkusen and Xabi Alonso! They might make a real run to win the Europa League

temesgen and Aensensen repped this.
  2. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    It's not strange. It's either being willfully ignorant or having dangerous low IQ.

Lyra, PigBenis, MaxY and 2 others repped this.
  3. boeder

boeder Member+

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Feb 27, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Frankly, I couldn't care less what you've seen or experienced. This case is on a different scale entirely.

You do realize that the evidence/wiretaps stacked against Moggi (that you were singing about a few days back) didn't find direct match-fixing attempts, requests for specific referees, or favor demands. Juventus, nonetheless, had title(s) stripped, points deducted, executives jailed and they got shipped to the 2nd division because they demonstrated they could potentially benefit from their relationship with the refereeing committee. Potential is the keyword here.

The charges against Barcelona are far, far graver. They paid to corrupt the refereeing system to guarantee favorable results. The Liga count and the refereeing circus we witnessed over the years demonstrates that.

Arguing whether RM's failure to win the league in that period stemmed from internal or external factors is irrelevant to this discussion.

How can you compete in a league where the odds are skewed against you? When your title challenger has paid the refereeing committee to gain unfair advantage?

To me every Liga won by RM in that period is worth 5 under normal circumstances. It shows the greatness of Real Madrid.

PigBenis, MaxY, Doni and 6 others repped this.
  4. boeder

boeder Member+

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Feb 27, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Somehow 8 Ligas became 2-3 to suit his flawed argument. Levante won the remaining 6 :D

Lyra, PigBenis, Doni and 5 others repped this.
  5. REALFOREVER

REALFOREVER Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    The hits keep coming. El Confidential is reporting that Laporta also paid over 750,000 euros to Negreira's son during his first presidency.

I have seen some people claim that Laporta started paying the year when assigning refs went from a digital raffle to a committee. I am waiting to see a credible source confirm this because I don't remember what year that was.

What is true is that Barca stopped paying Negreira once he no long had the position in the referee's committee.

6. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Which is what I've said. No matter what proved to be true or not. Nothing will change your impression that everything that Real Madrid ever achieved is as pure as virgin Mary, and everything Barcelona achieved is corrupt and fixed.

Then the response is "well they attempted to influence..." people got pissed at the selection of Hernandez Hernandez who reffed Barca to a 0-0 vs Rayo and Madrid to a 3-1 devastation over Sevilla.

But clearly, all referees are against Madrid at all times.

Like absolute Muppets.

People seem to get the impression that I'm saying that Barca are innocent when what I'm saying is that the truth is probably a lot more complicated.

temesgen repped this.
  7. hector_br

hector_br Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    4x4, sorry, but you're wrong. Maybe you read too much social media where people don't make sense. But people here have been very rational about this.

Madrid is a behemoth, and we certainly had our share of privileges here and there.

But there's a major scandal now being exposed, and it involves Barcelona. People want that to be investigated because it smells rotten. It's Barcelona in the spotlight, there's no reason to downplay the severity of this case, or even bring up Madrid's name.

While you say things are much more complicated than a simple us against the world scenario. You oversimplify the scandal itself, even though there are daily developments about it that are certainly not helping Barcelona.

You insist you want proof on the pitch that they were favoring Barcelona, but you know it's not that simple. These people are criminals, they wouldn't be so stupid to make things blatantly clear like that, hahahaha.

This is an underlying scheme, which apparently has created a culture or system to benefit certain refs who made certain decisions. It's a classic case of corruption.

There's a reason major media outlets are talking about it all the time, and the Catalan press remains in almost complete silence. They know it's ugly.

I have seen you talking about corruption in football before and expressing your concern about it. Now that a case of corruption emerges, you seem to downplay its importance. It's... funny.

In short, if you're on Twitter, tiktok, whatever, just drop it dude. It is messing with your view of how things are being discussed here, and you're being unfair to many of the posters here.

PigBenis, Aensensen, Anon. and 4 others repped this.
  8. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    There was an article in the El Mundo in the political section of the paper in Spain titled "Barcelona pays, Real Madrid profits".

The discussion is a lot more complicated. If the proof was out that referees manipulated games, there would be no league games going on this weekend with Everybody under investigation.

I've yet to see a single person suggest a Spanish referee here that they completely trust. The reason is officiating in Spain has been a lot about the flashy attention grabbing stuff. Nearly impossible to say what's intention or not unless you have proof.

There's a reason the Real Madrid TV attack on Glos Gomez went down so bad, because it's basically like going on Real Madrid TV and saying a player gifted the opponent a penalty because he sold the game. Can't even make hints at something like that.

9. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    With all due respect, I have 0 idea what you're trying to get to. I don't care if they actively had games thrown (which I don't think is the case) or if there was even the slightest of favors being done to sway the match in their favor (even if it was inconsequential to the final outcome). At the end of the day, you have paid for services to a party that was supposed to be impartial. Based on that, everything under that period will and should be in question, and people will naturally question the objectivity of that period. I don't need proof that specific games or calls were thrown because I know that will be impossible to get to because likely took over methods of communication that are no longer traceable or never were. The insinuation is sufficient to convict, and their image will forever be damaged.

-Reivax-, PigBenis, MaxY and 4 others repped this.
  10. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    #6160 Shay Z, Mar 17, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2023
    Brother what in the hell are you on about here. These arguments in these posts are so weird. Have you just become a full time contrarian here? If so that's a pity. You are creating really weird strawmen and applying strange logic. I don't get it. But i guess you do you.

Lyra, PigBenis, MaxY and 5 others repped this.
  11. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nobody here has proof of a single fixed match but starts doing the math which titles Barca bought.

It's pathetic. They absolutely washed us off the field in occasion.

Whatever Negreira was doing, I know what I watched, argue with me about a title they won where you felt like we were the better team.

People took to this excuse like a warm coat, and whenever we lost it was fixed. I assume when they demolished us in the Super Cup it was the ref that done us in.

We won during those payments, and they were all on TV complaining about the officiating. How does that make sense?

If the same people that manipulated the football against Madrid are still active, why don't we refuse to play on Sunday?

Baltor repped this.
  12. hector_br

hector_br Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    Dude, the situation where Barça was drawing 0-0 and people saying "here comes the PK or red card" became a joke because it was so obvious it would happen, and it did many times.

Even if we sucked (and we did) Barcelona got tons of points thanks to more than questionable calls, that were so constant and expected, we would even joke about it. Now it's not a joke anymore.

Ahmadi8 and temesgen repped this.
  13. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    So why are we not protesting and playing on as if nothing happened?

14. Forcamadrid2

Forcamadrid2 Member

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Dec 13, 2017
    I always enjoyed reading 4x4s posts, insightful and moderate. However, on this point I'm just skipping completely, they make no sense at all. I have no idea what his points are anymore. I can't understand how one cannot see the corruption here. Whether Barca benefited from what they paid or not is irrelevant (overall status show they did in a big way). Barca PAID high official directly controlling all referees. It cannot be more clear than that.

Ahmadi8 and hector_br repped this.
  15. temesgen

temesgen Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    The video thing was bad, I don't want the club acting like that.

There needs to be an investigation and it should be quick, the typical Spanish 4 or 5 year lengthy back and forth would be really bad for the league and the clubs.

That said, Barca deserves whatever criticism it gets. They said it was for referee reports and the coaches have no recollection of these reports, they say other clubs have paid officials, the truth is nobody has credibly provided evidence that a current employee has been involved in a similar arrangement with any other clubs.

There's tape of Barca administrators talking about how to lie about this and other tape of them trying to bribe UEFA. That club presents itself as a morally superior institution built around sporting values when in reality it bends rules serially and apparently breaks rules as it sees fit. They are nihilist, bullies, hypocritical and project on everyone else what they are doing.

Ahmadi8, YOUNGSTARS87 and hector_br repped this.
  16. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Well, the refs can't 100% win games (and titles) for you, but they can definitely tilt the scales enough to make it more likely. And obviously, they'd have to try and not make it too obvious.

But as you mentioned, the 13/14 season we lost it on the final day at home vs the direct rival Atletico and got a wrong offsides call that took away a likely title clinching goal. The ref of that game Lahoz. Who really got no demotion from that result (as is one of the speculations of how this rigging worked). In fact, has been chosen to ref CL and WC games. Now, you could argue that he doesn't make offside calls the linesman does (so it's out of his hands). But man, if the refs were corrupt and I'd like to make sure I win the title, I'd make sure I have all 3 refs bought out. Of course just because Lahoz wasn't corrupted doesn't mean others may not have been.

But that's a bit why I think the corruption may have been about tipping the scales on which refs get assigned to Barca matches. With a pinch of kickbacks to certain Barca officials. It has been reported that one person was receiving commission on this whole deal.

17. temesgen

temesgen Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    If the officials are being told to look for certain types of contact, they really don't have to be in on it. They are reacting to what they were told to watch out for.

Also the officials are people with their own biases, getting moved up or down after voicing those opinions can help impact results too.

It's very easy to see how pressure to treat certain situations in a specific way can over the course of a season result in points.

Ahmadi8 repped this.
  18. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Because the case is still on-going in court? LOL

Stiliyan, PigBenis, sneakking and 2 others repped this.
  19. Aensensen

Aensensen Member+

Jun 10, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    This is the x factor here too. We only know what was uncovered. Let's not be naive and think we're ever going to get to the bottom of this rabbit hole. At this stage it's safe to assume Barca did way more shady stuff that we'll never learn about.

That would be wonderful. I have to tune in to this one, haven't really seen Xabi's Leverkusen that much.

MiamiNative0722 repped this.
  20. Doni

Doni Member+

Dec 4, 2010
    London
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    @4x4s is either extremely distraught by Barcagate and denial is a coping mechanism where if Barca get away with it all he can say well obviously we’ve not been robbed let’s move on and enjoy the football.

Or he’s getting a weird kick by making shit arguments to rile people up on purpose, there’s no in between. A shame.

Lyra, CivilProtection, PigBenis and 5 others repped this.
  21. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    He’s been a contrarian for a few months now. I think someone hit him on the head with a frying pan around Christmas.

Lyra, PigBenis, MaxY and 5 others repped this.
  22. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    We all have battered with each other for almost two decades and the guy he has shown himself to be is just beyond an utter disappointment (I realize he doesn't care).

23. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always enjoy having a Madrid connection to follow another team. Leverkusen is an interesting one to follow.

A reminder that when Xabi was hired, Leverkusen were in 17th place, second from the bottom, in the Bundesliga table. Now they're in 9th and just 6 points out of 6th place, a European spot. Clearly, they've done well just to get this far in the Europa League with goods odds to keep advancing.

The roster is intriguing as well. Moussa Diaby, Florian Wirtz, Jeremie Frimpong, Piero Hincapie, Callum Hudson-Odoi. Rumor has it that Xabi has recommended Frimpong to Madrid as a right back to target.

Aensensen and Saeta Rubia repped this.
  24. REALFOREVER

REALFOREVER Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    meringues repped this.
  25. Anon.

Anon. Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    From my perspective, there's little room for sentiment or forum loyalty, based on a poster's longevity of commenting, or the narrative they may have had many years ago. Let's all judge on recent history and the quality of posts, irrespective of how long they've been around on this forum.