ACC Tourney- UNC vs. NC State [R]

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Sandon Mibut, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
  2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Jamie Watson makes it 2-0 in the 82nd minute, assist to Dax McCarty.

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Final, 2-0. Heels (10-7-2) get a badly needed win in terms of their NCAA Tournament hopes while NC State's (8-8-2) are likely dashed.

UNC faces Maryland in one semi,

UVa. faces Wake in the other.

Funny, the 1-8 game was the closest of the four quarterfinals.

4. nojoke

nojoke New Member

Oct 28, 2004

Wow! I was just talking about these two guys yesterday on the All ACC Team thread. Glad to see them come through.

And another ACC game in the books with no goals from Storey.

5. cantona24

cantona24 New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Storey has been much maligned for his inability to score goals at the ACC level. The criticism is only partly deserved this year, as he has taken on a more withdreawn role in the midfield for long stretches in ACC play. Storey's finishing is, at times, terrible. And then at other times it is incredible. This inconsistency is the main reason that he's a bubble MLS player.

But there's no doubt that when he is on the field and "into" the game, Storey completely changes the complexion of that game. The opponent must constantly be aware of his presence, and he's shown an ability this year to find his teammates with assists (albeit only in non-ACC games). His speed is well documented, but you really have to see it to understand it. This summer in the PDL GSO Dynamo's Open Cup game with Atlanta (A-League), Storey was dominant at times. They had no one who could stop him, and the game itself was a heart-racer, with the Dynamo losing in OT against the run of play. Storey showed that night that he's definitely an upper level A-League caliber player, with his MLS hopes still up in the air.

6. nojoke

nojoke New Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Sandon's post in another thread stated...

"Story finished with six goals and six assists in 17 games overall. But, in seven ACC games, he had 0 goals and 1 assist.

For his career, in 83 games overall, he has 29 goals and 21 assists, pretty good stats for a midfielder. But, almost all of those stats were posted against non-ACC teams.

In 29 games against ACC teams prior to tonight's ACC Tournament contest, Story has two goals and four assists. This includes four ACC Tournament games his first three seasons.

Both his ACC goals came against NC State before they got their act back together last season. He scored as a freshman vs. State in the ACC Tournament then as a soph. in the regular season. So, no goals the past two years in ACC play."

Personally, I was shocked to see these stats the other day.

Cantona, you say he has taken a more withdrawn role this year. Who has taken his place up top? And if what Sandon says is true (which I will not dispute), then why has he not scored in the past two years in ACC play?

7. cantona24

cantona24 New Member

Apr 26, 2001

In several games this year, UNC has put Ashe/Watson up top (though Watson usually comes in as a sub.) Dax plays a bit up top, Harrington has seen time as well. Storey has played an attacking mid spot against some teams ( in games vs. Duke and Wake at least). I think he's more suited up top, but who will UNC put in the middle? Watson could play there, but he holds onto the ball too much sometimes.

I was not disputing Storey's lack of stats in ACC games. But I was saying that he changes games, whether he's scoring or not. There's a reason that ACC coaches put him on 1st team All-ACC, and while many of those reasons are political/reputation based, Storey is clearly one of the most feared attackers in the ACC. I'd be willing to bet that every one of UNC's ACC opponents has a plan for him during their pre-game locker room talks.