ACC Thread 2003 [R]

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Klee, Oct 21, 2003.

1. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I’ve been thinking about doing this for over a month and now I’m finally going to start it. I have appreciated MacTisha’s “2003 SEC thread” all season long and as I read it, I started realizing that the ACC fans (except for UNC and Duke fans) were being left out of the information loop too. For example, while I know how UNC is doing, I never know how, say, Clemson is doing, or how FSU or Maryland are doing, unless we are playing them. (David began a thread called the ACC Tonight, but I think he would admit it was a Duke thread.)

So, in the spirit of better late than never, I’m going to start doing for the ACC what MacTisha (with her helpers UFGator and Kareena) has done so well for the SEC. I’ll start with the past weekend’s results. Fans of other ACC teams are welcome to join in with results or comments whenever they wish. Also, we could use this to discuss the upcoming tournament.

Weekend results:
    UNC 6-Clemson 1
    Duke 1-Virginia 0
    FSU 0-Wake Forest 0
    NC State 1-Maryland 0

Standings
    ------------------------Conf.----Overall
    North Carolina......5-0-0....16-0-0
    Virginia................3-1-1.....11-2-2
    Florida State........3-1-1.....9-5-1
    Duke.....................3-2-0....10-4-1
    Wake Forest.........0-2-2....9-3-3
    Clemson...............1-3-0.....7-5-2
    NC State...............1-4-0.....8-6-1
    Maryland ...............1-4-0.....7-6-1

(Just can't get these dadgum columns to stay lined up!)

2. David

David Member

Jun 2, 2000
    Thanks for starting this thread. WF is the team that intrigues me. Despite their loss last night to Clemson, they can keep games close, and if they get on a roll in their final games against Maryland and NC State, I can see them winning the opener in the Tournament.

NC State did to Maryland (16 corners and no score) what they did to UNC last year.

3. mona

mona Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Clemson 3- Wake Forest 1

4. MoHeelfan

MoHeelfan Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Ozarks
    Albyn Jones ratings for ACC teams.

As weeks go by, the power ratings begin to make more sense. Despite the ACC beating each other up, we have 5 teams in the top 20. Despite its 0-3-2 record, Wake Forest is still ranked 13th.

1 UNC
    8 Virginia
    13 Wake Forest
    14 Duke
    18 Florida State
    32 Clemson
    33 Maryland
    59 NC State

http://www.soccerratings.com/W03D1.html

Klee, my columns were straight before I submited it too. Maybe someone else knows how the Big Soccer computer formats our entries. Actually, I wouldn't mind knowing how you-all type a link in hyperlink on this program.

5. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Maryland 2-George Mason 0

"Coming off a pair of tough 1-0 losses, Maryland came out with heart and fury as they posted a 2-0 victory over regional rival George Mason on a chilly and windy Wednesday night."

Recap and box

PS. Thanks, MoHeel, for posting that. I've sent you an email about the hyperlinks. Others who are interested, click on the "faq" above, top right.

6. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Upcoming games

Games this weekend:

Friday, October 24
    Duke at Clemson, 7:00 pm
    NC State at Florida State, 7:00 pm

Saturday, October 25
    Wake Forest at Maryland, 7:00 pm

Sunday, October 26
    North Carolina at Virginia, 2:00 pm

7. Kicks2515

Kicks2515 New Member

Jan 5, 2001
    I realized I haven't heard a lot about Clemson senior Lindsay Browne this year and she was a standout player for Clemson so I can't imagine her being benched for any reason. Especially her senior year. I checked stats on Clemson page and she has played in 2 game and started those 2. Anyone know if she went down with an injury or what happened that she has only appeared twice?

8. mona

mona Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Clemson 1 Duke 0

9. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    FSU 1-NC State 0; Clemson 1-Duke 0

Tallahassee, Fla. . "No. 14 Soccer Clinches Best-Ever ACC Mark With 1-0 Win Over NC State. Seminoles set records for shutouts, ACC shutouts, conference record and conference finish."

Recap, box score and photos

Clemson, S.C. - Courtney Foster scored her ninth goal of the season at the 7:14 mark, and Clemson was able to withstand a strong offensive night by Duke as the Lady Tigers defeated the Blue Devils 1-0 at Historic Riggs Field on Friday night.

Recap

10. XYZ

XYZ New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Big Cat Country
    Tables

Getting the "dadgum columns" of a table to line up is a little tricky, (and it helps to be a computer geek.)
    • Compose the message using an editor with a fixed-pitch font (the message input screen on BigSoccer won't work because it uses a variable pitch font).
    • Force a fixed-pitch font using BigSoccer code "font=courier" and "/font" tags. (the tags begin with "[" and end with "]")
    That will work provided there are no multiple spaces or tabs in the table. Multiple spaces can be handled by putting the table between BigSoccer "code" and "/code" tags.

Using the ACC standings from last Tuesday which Klee posted earlier...

Without the "code" tags:
    (using "." as a fill-in character)

ACC Standings
    -----------------Conf.----Overall
    North Carolina...5-0-0....16-0-0
    Virginia.........3-1-1....11-2-2
    Florida State....3-1-1.....9-5-1
    Duke.............3-2-0....10-4-1
    Wake Forest......0-2-2.....9-3-3
    Clemson..........1-3-0.....7-5-2
    NC State.........1-4-0.....8-6-1
    Maryland.........1-4-0.....7-6-1

With the "code" tags:
    (using multiple spaces)
    Code:
    [font=courier]ACC Standings
                     Conf.   Overall
    North Carolina   5-0-0   16-0-0
    Virginia         3-1-1   11-2-2
    Florida State    3-1-1    9-5-1
    Duke             3-2-0   10-4-1
    Wake Forest      0-2-2    9-3-3
    Clemson          1-3-0    7-5-2
    NC State         1-4-0    8-6-1
    Maryland         1-4-0    7-6-1[/font]
    It's possible to use tabs but that's trickier and I've found it easiest to make sure there are no tabs in the table.

11. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Tables

Thanks, XYZ. You're a handy guy to have around. Let's see how I do on my next table.

A lot of people would appreciate your tutorial besides those of us hanging around on this thread. You could make it a separate thread and even make it a sticky for a week or more.

12. David

David Member

Jun 2, 2000
    Oh my. Not a good call by me!

From the Maryland release:
    "It was seven minutes in heaven for Maryland Saturday night as the Terrapins exploded to an early three-goal lead in the first 7:15 on the way to a crucial 5-1 victory over No. 16 Wake Forest in a key ACC match.... "

Not many "come from behind wins" this year in the ACC.

13. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Maryland 5-Wake Forest 1

Terps Pound No. 16 Wake, 5-1, Pick Up Largest ACC Win Since '98

Recap and box score

I thought Maryland had to be better than their record, but I was shocked by this. Any Wake fans on this board? What's going on?

This afternoon at 2, Virginia will try to pull one on Carolina.

14. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    UNC 3-UVa 1

Charlottesville, Va."Top-ranked North Carolina got goals from Lori Chalupny, Heather O'Reilly and Lindsay Tarpley as the Tar Heels broke a 1-1 halftime tie and went on to beat fifth-ranked Virginia 3-1 in women's soccer action at Klockner Stadium Sunday afternoon."

Recap and box

15. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Standings, etc.

Standings as of today (10-28):

------------------------Conf.----Overall
    North Carolina.....6-0-0.....17-0-0
    Florida State.......4-1-1.....10-5-1
    Virginia................3-2-1.....12-2-3
    Duke....................3-3-0......10-5-1
    Clemson ............3-3-0........9-5-2
    Maryland ............2-4-0........9-6-1
    NC State ............1-5-0........8-7-1
    Wake Forest.......0-4-2........9-5-3

(I know now why these columns are not straight, but it's too much trouble to go back and change them. Maybe the next time I do it, I'll do it right. I thought I was doing it right this time, but alas, I wasn't. Apologies.)

Player of the Week: Clemson's Courtney Foster.

"Foster, a freshman from Conyers, Ga., scored both game winning goals in Clemson's two conference victories last week. Versus No. 16/18 Wake Forest, the midfielder scored one of the Tigers' goals in their 3-1 victory. She also scored the Tigers' only goal in their shutout victory over No. 11/9 Duke. On the season, Foster has four game winning goals and has tallied 22 points."

16. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Lop-sided victories

Games played on Monday and Tuesday against nonconference foes

Clemson 6-College of Charleston 0

NC State 6-Howard 1

FSU 7-Florida Atlantic 0

Duke 5-Gardner-Webb 0

17. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    I haven't heard any talk lately about which is the best conference in the country this year, but it appears to me that the ACC has put to rest any wondering about that. They have, what, 6 or 7 teams in the top 25?

18. David

David Member

Jun 2, 2000
    ACC tournament

In "playing" the "what-ifs", only UNC has locked up their game-time going into the Sat night games of UVA-Clemson and Wake-NC State. FSU will either be in the 12 or 2:30pm game (Note, I don't remember if the conference flips coins to break ties, or uses results of head-to-head competition). Again, it looks like the 4-5 seeds get the pyrrhic victory of not being the 6th seed.

2003 ACC Women's Soccer Championship
    SAS Soccer Complex
    Cary, N.C.

Wednesday, November 5
    No. 3 vs. No. 6 12:00 pm
    No. 2 vs. No. 7 2:30 pm
    No. 1 vs. No. 8 5:30 pm UNC v loser Wake-NC State game. If a tie, UNC plays Wake
    No. 4 vs. No. 5 8:00 pm

19. MoHeelfan

MoHeelfan Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Ozarks
    ACC Championship

Based on tonites games;

Clemson 2 Virginia 1
    Wake 3 NCST 0

I think everything is over. As of tonite the standings are; record followed by AJ power rating (pardon the columns):

UNC 7-0-0 1
    FSU 4-2-1 14
    Clem 4-3-0 24
    Duke 4-3-0 20
    Virg 3-3-1 7
    Maryl 2-5-0 28
    WF 1-4-2 16
    NCST 1-6-0 62

The seedings should be:
    UNC vs NCST
    FSU vs WF
    Duke vs Maryland
    Clemson vs Virginia

SCCL asks if the ACC is the best conference in the country. I'm sure the WCC officiandos would say no, but when the 7th best team in the country ends up 5th in your conference, thats a strong argument.

Congradulations to Colorado coach Bill Hempem, former Duke coach (and St. Louis native) who in his second year wins the Big 12. Petrucilli, the former Notre Dame coach finished 2nd, and has yet to win the Big 12 in 5 years.

20. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Weekend results

Wake Forest 3-NC State 0 Winston-Salem, N.C. Wake Forest senior Katherine Winstead scored the match's first goal and freshman Elizabeth Remy added a goal and an assist in the second half as the Demon Deacons raced past NC State, 3-0, on Senior Night at Spry Stadium Saturday night. Recap and box

Clemson 2-UVa 1 Clemson, S.C. Kelly Schneider scored the game-winner midway in the second half in leading Clemson to a 2-1 upset win over fifth-ranked Virginia in a women's Atlantic Coast Conference soccer match at Clemson Saturday night. Recap

Duke 1-Maryland 0 Durham, N.C. In one of the biggest matches of head coach Robbie Church's three years at Duke, the 10th-ranked Blue Devils came through with a 1-0 victory over 19th-ranked Maryland on Halloween night at Koskinen Stadium in Durham, N.C. Duke's lone goal came in the ninth minute of action as sophomore Carolyn Ford sent a free kick into the box, which was heading for senior Gwendolyn Oxenham. Oxenham went up for the ball and was met by a Maryland defender. The ball settled in front of freshman Darby Kroyer and the San Ramon, Calif., product punched it in the left corner of the net. Recap, box, and photos

UNC 1-FSU 0 Chapel Hill, N.C. North Carolina junior Mary McDowell scored her third goal of the season and second game-winning goal of the campaign in the 67th minute Friday night as the No. 1 Tar Heel women's soccer team finished the regular season unbeaten and untied with a 1-0 victory over No. 9 Florida State at Fetzer Field. Recap and box

21. David

David Member

Jun 2, 2000
    Re: ACC Championship

Should be:

Clem v Maryland 12N
    FSU v Wake 2:30PM
    UNC v NC State 5:30PM
    Duke v Virginia 8PM

22. Upper90. Inc.

Upper90. Inc. New Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Dallas
    official schedule from ACC

#2 FSU vs # 7 Wake at 12:00 Noon

#3 Clem vs #6 MD at 2:30 pm

#1 UNC vs # 8 NC State at 5:30 pm

#4 Duke vs #5 VA at 8:00 pm

23. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    ACC honors: All-Conference, POY, etc.

ACC HONORS

UNC's Lindsay Tarpley was named POY; Becky Sauerbrunn of Virginia was named ROY; and Anson Dorrance was named COY.

A first and second team All-Conference team and an All-Freshmen team were also named. Here's the news release from the ACC: . Link

24. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    First round [R]

FSU 2-Wake Forest 1, final.

Maryland 1-Clemson 0, halftime.

Details and links will be posted on the ACC site as the day goes by.

25. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    First round completed [R]

FSU 2-Wake Forest 1
    Maryland 2-Clemson 1
    UNC 6-NC State 2
    Duke 2-Virginia 1

Details and team links posted on the ACC site.