ACC Expansion

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by k1v1n, May 11, 2003.

1. k1v1n

k1v1n New Member

May 4, 2002
    With the ACC meetings taking place this week there's been a lot of discussion in the local newspapers and sports talk radio about the proposed expansion to 12 teams. Of course, the talk is all about football and money. The big prize is Miami (which in spite of all their success in football is apparently losing money), but that will have no impact on soccer. The other two primary candidates for expansion are Boston College and Syracuse. Both of these schools would have an impact on soccer. Two schools also being mentioned (after the first three) are Virginia Tech and Pittsburgh.

Having seen my fair share of Big East soccer I can tell you that bringing in these schools is going to change the dynamics of the ACC. Syracuse is certainly not the powerhouse that Boston College has been the last couple of years, but they do play a very physical Big East style. They will create some problems for some of the ACC's less athletic teams. (Who'll be able to handle the likes of a Jarett Park?) With a nine team ACC, I'd put Syracuse at no worse than 5th. Boston College on the other hand could come into the ACC and be competing for the title almost immediately. If I had to rank the ACC with a Boston College they'd occupy my number 2 spot right behind Maryland. I'd definitely take them above Wake and Clemson.

2. k1v1n

k1v1n New Member

May 4, 2002
    When

I see from the report from the ACC meetings in the paper today that the changes to the league would not take place until the 2004-2005 season.