ACC CHAMPS...Let the debate begin.....

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by dad4life, Aug 23, 2006.

1. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    Let's not be unreasonable.

Of course other teams lose players to the pros. Usually only the elite teams. Like SLU. However you will not find any D-1 team in the last two years that lost the likes of Vedad Ibisevic (signed by PSG French Ligue 1. Vedad was without question the most lethal attacker in all D-1), Will John (MLS First Round Draft Choice) and Tim Ward (MLS First Round Draft Choice) while also losing via transfer a player the caliber of Cooper McKee (All Pac 10 Central Midfielder as a new comer to the Pac 10). In addition SLU lost to injury their # 1 Keeper Pat Disbennett and very talented field players like Brian Grazier and Ryan Wileman. That is 7 starters. Name any elite team that had to deal with anything remotely close to that hardship. Still and all SLU was within a missed PK of making the NCAA's last season and they will make it this season.

2. That's Cool

That's Cool New Member

Aug 31, 2006

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    It makes them 1-0-1 after tying the powerhouse that is DePaul last night.

4. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    Yeah!

Yeah!!

Actually UIC is a real candidate to qualify for the NCAA's and DePaul has been improving and has their best squad in years.

5. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    Yes. Yes we will.

6. congo2

congo2 New Member

Jan 31, 2005
    Wow you are over the top! It's one thing to be a great fan or supporter of a program but you can be a little ridiculous when it comes to your team. Your team lost players, it's part of the game currently.

Now, using Wake as an example since you say no one else compares(and there are probably more teams that can compare)-
    for '05 they lost: Parkhurst (1st rd MLS), Sealy (1st rd MLS), Riley (2nd rd MLS), Lowery (4th rd MLS), Caugherty (supp draft, now playing for Boden BK overseas), Keel (MLS Rapids on loan to Seattle).
    (to add to your 2yr thing- they lost Hesmer (MLS) White (French league)Alexander (transfer) the year before!
    Anyway, they still managed to make the NCAA's. No excuses here, just wish they would go farther in the league tourney & big tourney.

7. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    Hoo boy. Sigh.

Congo2,

Try to stay on topic here.

All the players I mentioned that left SLU's program had eligibility. Lot's of it. Vedad left after his Freshman Season as did Tim Ward. Will John left after his Sophmore season. Cooper McKee transferred after his Sophmore season. All the injured players had eligibility. The Keeper Disbennett was out nearly the entire season (I think he played 112 minutes). Grazier was out the entire season.

You mention Scott Sealy. Sealy exhausted his WF eligibility after playing for Wake Forest for 4 years.

You mentioned James Riley. Riley exhausted his WF eligibility after playing for Wake Forest for 4 years. No eligibility left for those two.

In SLU's case Vedad left 2 weeks before the start of the season. Ward and John left after High School Recruiting ended. The same with McKee. Hell I could list a bunch of 4 year players from SLU but that isn't the point here.

I'm not familiar with,

Lowery
    Caugherty
    Boden
    Keel

Were they 4 year WF players as well?? If so I'm not referring to players that have used their eligibility. Hell I could list a bunch of 4 year players from SLU but that isn't the point here. I suppose you get my drift.

Parkhurst is one good example but he played for Wake for 3 full seasons if I recall correctly. Hesmer was an undergrad as well correct?

I apologize to all for getting the thread off topic.

8. kickeru

kickeru Member

Feb 23, 2006
    Really. Let's not be unreasonable, Mr. tom.

Indiana had six guys from last year's team go to the pros, including one freshman to PSV Eindhoven in the BIG leagues. They've even had some injuries, transfers and quits.

Still, they intend to try to field a team this year and show up for all their games. They might even be pretty good this year.

9. kickeru

kickeru Member

Feb 23, 2006
    Sorry. I should have put that last reply on the SLU thread, and I will.

What's all this stuff doing on the ACC thread?

10. dad4life

dad4life New Member

Nov 7, 2005
    Maryland has a big test today with UCLA. If they can beat UCLA and Clemson on Friday I would say they are the frontrunners. Beat Clemson @ Clemson with probably 7,000-8,000 screaming Tiger fans? Could it happen? I dont know but I would say if Maryland wins today, Fridays game will be a good indication of who holds up the ACC trophy at the end of the year. Disagreements?

11. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maryland won big time.

12. dad4life

dad4life New Member

Nov 7, 2005
    Out of the top 16 in the coaches poll, I believe only 7 remain undefeated. 6 of them are ACC teams....Also Va Tech had a great win over St. John's and remain undefeated at 3-0......Wow......Thats an easy conference to be in......

13. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Each team's record thru Monday

Clemson – 4-0-0, 16 GF, 4 GA, +12
    Duke – 4-0-0, 13 GF, 4 GA, +9
    Maryland – 4-0-0, 11 GF, 2 GA, +9
    Wake Forest – 4-0-0, 11 GF, 1 GA, +9
    North Carolina – 4-0-0, 5 GF, 0 GA, +5
    Virginia – 4-0-0, 5 GF, 0 GA, +5
    Virginia Tech – 3-0-0, 6GF, 3 GA, +3
    Boston College – 2-1-0, 7 GF, 4 GA, +3
    NC State – 2-2-0, 4GF, 6 GA, -2
    TOTAL – 31-3-0, 77 GF, 24 GA, +53

So far, it looks like another year where 7-8 ACC teams will make the NCAAs.

14. congo2

congo2 New Member

Jan 31, 2005
    Everything will heat up this week with the ACC season beginning.

15. dad4life

dad4life New Member

Nov 7, 2005
    NC State beats UNC 3-1...Wow....

16. texas two-footer

texas two-footer New Member

Oct 14, 2002
    SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    friday's game at Riggs could be a preview of the ACC final in Nov. It should be a fantastic game...this is the best attacking Clemson team I've seen since 1998. Regardless of tomorrow's result, Clemson will score a ton of goals this year...

speaking of 1998, Clemson took an early season loss @ Duke on a series of shocking referee oversights only to beat Duke in the ACC final and go 22-2.

hopefully this years edition will eliminate the losses (especially come tourney time)....

17. The Wisdom Cube

The Wisdom Cube New Member

Oct 7, 2005
    Clemson, SC
    Here is an audio stream of a press conference with Clemson Coach Trevor Adair. He sizes up both sides heading into tonight:

http://clemsontigers.cstv.com/sports/m-soccer/spec-rel/090606aab.html

He sounds pretty confident. I'm looking forward to seeing this one...

By the way, this would have been a great way for Fox Soccer Channel to kick off their men's coverage this year, instead of starting next week.

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/5922326

18. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    Agreed!

19. sheeplover

sheeplover Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Zidane's right foot
    Where is Alan Woods when you need him?

This is a Final Four preview also I believe

20. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clemson played a good game but remember it was a home field and Shasho's Terps will be in the mix at the end....thats a guarantee.