ACC 2019

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Tom81, Dec 24, 2018.

1. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The run they made last post season was unbelievable in a lot of ways!

2. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Ping your post reminds me of a favorite saying “I feel very strongly both ways!”

Crazyhorse and ping repped this.
  3. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    I think there are some real circumstances this year that may well never come fully to light. Losing your starting GK, and a team leader. (Ivory) Your irreplaceable LB (Petersen) , your All American CB/RB (McLernon) and her replacement (Constant). Your box to box starting CM (Sumpter) in the last 3 weeks of the season is hardly ideal.

UVA fell foul of key injuries at the end of the year. It is what it is. These things happen, you just hope they dont at key times.

Swanson did a great job this year. he is as good as any coach out there when it comes to teaching and developing players. I think at times, it hurts his chances of winning big games. he wont change though and i respect him for it. Tony Bennett is similar and he got one. Swanson has time to win his. He deserves one .

cpthomas and Crazyhorse repped this.
  4. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I firmly believe UVA will win a title sooner rather than later.

5. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The injury thing is real...but it happens to EVERYONE. The fact is come conference and tournament time the intensity ratchets up and these kids leave it all out there. At the USC/ Santa Clara game a GK was lost to (what looked like) a broken collarbone against the post and 3 other players left the game and did not return. There are so many more playing through pain that probably should not be on the pitch
    These ladies are warriors

derbarkasmann, Crazyhorse and McSkillz repped this.
  6. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Agreed again. You just hope its not a key player at a key time, let alone several. If it is, you adjust your expectations

7. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    On another note, if the Mac Hermann semi final selections dont tell you which coach dominates these things then I dont know what to tell you.

8. SakiBomb25

SakiBomb25 Member

Nov 13, 2004
    What ‘things’ are you referring to?

9. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    He's saying Anson Dorrance dominates various all star teams (conference, MAC Hermann, AA teams).

10. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Some of these coaches must be amazing considering they win games with talent that is considered so much worse

11. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    The ACC Offensive POY and Mid OY failed to make the Hermann semis for Russo and Pinto. Ie he got 2 players ahead of Castellanos. JOKE

I guess both Carolina players are not CMs or offensive

Its all a joke

12. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    I'm glad I'm not tasked with making the list, but I do agree. As good as UNC is, I don't believe they deserved 3 players on the list.
    As much as Stanford dominated the ball and had so few shots against them, I'm not sure Girma deserves to be there.
    How is Evelyn Viens at USF not on the list?
    Who would you have on the list from UVA 007? What 1 or 2?
    In my times watching UNC, I was most impressed with their freshman Bell!

HeadSpun and EHaz repped this.
  13. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Here is a list of winners back to 2000
    Your allegation of UNC bias, at least among the winners, does not hold up.
    UNC, UVA, Portland, Penn St all have 2 a piece. ND has 3.
    Stanford has 5 and is about to make it 6.
    Is this a Stanford bias, or just a confirmation that they get the best talent?
    If I'm not mistaken, one of the years Morgan Brian won it, Dagny Brynjarsdottir was chosen as ACC Off POTY over Morgan (14?) Who was right? The ACC or the MAC Hermann folks? 2 great players.

Women's Hermann Trophy Winners
    2018 Catarina Macario, Stanford

2017 Andi Sullivan, Stanford

2016 Kadeisha Buchanan, West Virginia

2015 Raquel Rodriguez, Penn State

2014 Morgan Brian, Virginia

2013 Morgan Brian, Virginia

2012 Crystal Dunn, North Carolina

2011 Teresa Noyola, Stanford

2010 Christen Press, Stanford

2009 Kelley O'Hara, Stanford

2008 Kerri Hanks, Notre Dame

2007 Mami Yamaguchi, Florida State

2006 Kerri Hanks, Notre Dame

2005 Christine Sinclair, Portland

2004 Christine Sinclair, Portland

2003 Cat Reddick, North Carolina

2002 Aly Wagner, Santa Clara

2001 Christie Welsh, Penn State

2000 Anne Mäkinen, Notre Dame

ping repped this.
  14. 6peternorth9

6peternorth9 Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    I don’t think UNC can say(I know Anson has, and he did tell me and my DD when we visited years ago) that they don’t get the best talent. I know for a fact good number of players Stanford went after that ended up at UNC. Geography, scholarship offer, educational opportunity, style of play, or whatever the reason might be, most top players end up at UNC, Duke, UVA, Penn State, Stanford, UCLA, USC for the most part. I know schools I mentioned all go after same kids and I also know Stanford and Duke can’t go after some of them because of their academic profiles.
    On paper, Penn State’s recruiting class this year is miles better than anyone.
    IMO, it’s not just about having the best talent. Liverpool is very good, but they are not the most talented team in the EPL nor in the champions league.

15. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    I think most observers would say Stanford (% wise) has the first pick of domestic talent.
    Who is 2nd? UNC? UCLA? UVA? USC?

Anson Dorrance made a comment last year just prior to CC final. Essentially he said, he knew going head to head with FSU in recruiting domestic kids, he would win 75%. He then followed up saying (hyperbole I'm sure, but still...) UNC going up against Stanford, had Stanford winning 90%.

16. ping

ping Member

Dec 7, 2009
    In defense of Number007 I believe the initial contention was the nominees were dominated by UNC, though you did note "at least among the winners." Dorrance's players might not ultimately win but are they over-represented as semifinalists?

Without more info on the nominees since 2000 we are still left with the original contention which may or may not be true. Does Dorrance "dominate these things"?

Number007 repped this.
  17. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Yes, it's a joke: Bunny Shaw did NOT even make the Hermann semifinalist list last year. Talk about egregious bias and incompetence by an award committee.

Number007 repped this.
  18. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    USA camp. More of the same. Unless hurt, Have no idea how you can leave out Howell. It also really insults the U20 process as they prepare for a world cup. Oh well.
    UNC are over represented often. The players are good, but there are others who are just as good who get overlooked for reasons unknown. By the way i am NOT pushing UVa players. Its a general comment. I would not have any UVA players on the list. Im sure ive saoid this before, but making a watch list before any games are played is dumb. A player like McCool was not on the list so cant make it. Not sayingshe should, just highlighting how absurd a list is.

No clue re Viens.My guess would be not a fashionable enough address.

Be careful on Bell. I think she is a good on the ball defender in a back 3. I dont think she reads the game that well and is an average passer. She may well improve, but I think this is way too much way too soon. I think Berkely is a better player in almost every aspect.In the UNC pressing system, bell can literally chase the ball. If you get a chance, watch the Nike Friendly game vs France from last year. Bell would benefit greatly from playing with the U20s.

19. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    that is typical of him. I think he is still salty that he lost out on Smith.

20. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    I glad you said on paper. In reality, its not that good.

21. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    I don't know that he was being salty. The question that was asked leading to his answer was about Mark's recruiting of internationals. He fully endorsed and supported Mark's efforts in that domain. He supported that by the above mentioned paraphrase about FSU vs UNC and UNC vs Stanford competing for domestic recruits.

BTW, FSU was one of the finalists for Smith. She is very good friends with Jaelin Howell.
    If we had gotten her, we would be talking about FSU being the favorite IMO.

22. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    played on the same club. Smith has a lot of friends

23. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    if you don’t think he is salty, then you don’t know him !! Trust me. He is.

24. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008

They were more than just 'run of the mill' friends.

Heeligan2, Ben.D and blissett repped this.
  25. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    known both of them a long time.

Ben.D repped this.