ACC 2019

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Tom81, Dec 24, 2018.

1. Tigmon

Tigmon Member

Liverpool
    United States
    Aug 5, 2019
    So most other conferences are posting lists, when will ACC post theirs do you think?

2. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    its usually announced around the ACC Tournament. I would expect an announcement maybe during the semi finals or right after

3. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Being the #1 team in the country all year long will have it's rewards. It's one reason why Ivory won 3 DPotW awards.

I think McCool and Ivory get 1st team nods. Ordonez and Staude will make all freshman. Morse and Petersen make 3rd team.

4. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Petersen 3rd team is an insult, but I would not be at all surprised. I tend to ignore Freshman teams. Not sure why we have them. Players like Torres,Sumpter, Morse are usually overlooked. McLernon has sacrificed a lot for the team this year and played what I thought was her best game at RB vs Duke. I hope she continues to play like that. Like I said, you could make a very good case for every starter to be on one of the teams.

5. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Sure. As a UVa fan, I agree wholeheartedly. Sumpter is probably the most improved player on the team, and while it's hard to discount McCool's 14 goals, I think I'm going to make the case that Torres is the most important player on the team. But moving to a new position this year? I don't think she gets a whiff of any of the teams, even though Torres has been 3rd team her first two years.

6. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    i told you early in the season that the system is designed to create scoring opportunities for the 2 #9s and to get Spaanstra on the ball more. Without Petersen its going to be interesting to see how/if that changes. Torres has been a huge part of UVAs success as has Sumpter. Some kids have sacrificed individual for the team and its a shame that may get overlooked

7. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Maybe they will surprise you, and they will not get overlooked. Let’s wait and see :)

8. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    i did say may ..

9. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    they didn’t.

10. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    That is unfortunate. As much as I love FSU, I love fairness and objectivity.
    UVA definitely had several players worthy of first team second and third team.
    Certainly this is not the same caliber of problem, but about seven years ago Mark with held several starters in the first round of the ACC tournament to protest the pre-tournament scheduling.
    He was fined, but lo and behold, it changed the next year.

Crazyhorse repped this.
  11. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    its the way it is. Ive said it here before. UVA are disrespected all the time when it comes to this stuff. If you asked the players who was deserving you would get very different results. Talia Staude is not even on the freshman team. Morse is part of a back line that has given up 5 goals all year. Not on any team. Its hilarious. It really is. It like they give FSU and UNC an allocation, then use the 2nd and 3rd team to try and let other schools have representatives.

Crazyhorse repped this.
  12. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Staude not being on the frosh team is outrageous! Also how on earth was Ordonez not frosh of the year!?

13. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really like Malia, a wonderful young woman and great player, but the FSU back line allowed more goals this season than I can ever remember. I would of given defender of the year to another player.

14. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I’m pretty sure those awards come from coaches vote

Lagadema repped this.
  15. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah. The coaches are idiots. How many defenders were on the first team?

16. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Because certain coaches have more sway/care more than others. Ordonez has had plenty of accolades. I care more about Morse, Sumpter Staude. Im not going to out kids on other teams, but go look at the stats on some of these first teamers. I mean seriously ? I was always anti awards and this just reinforces it for me. Certain coaches are using them to show kids how powerful they are.

I feared this would happen. I am actually surprised UVA got as many as it did.

17. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    How many forwards were on the second team ? How many forwards were on the frosh team ?

18. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    when coaches do the scouting report for the other team, I wonder how many say, dont worry about that Jarrett kid, she is not one of the most dangerous attackers in the ACC.

Val1 repped this.
  19. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    This is the list of All ACC
    Offensive Player of the Year
    Deyna Castellanos, Sr., M, Florida State

Defensive Player of the Year
    Malia Berkely, R-Jr., D, Florida State

Midfielder of the Year

Freshman of the Year
    Maycee Bell, Fr., D, North Carolina

Coach of the Year
    Anson Dorrance, North Carolina

First Team All-ACC
    Malia Berkely, R-Jr., D, Florida State
    Jaelin Howell, So., M, Florida State
    Yujie Zhao, So., M, Florida State
    Emina Ekic, Jr., M, Louisville
    Emily Fox, Jr., D, North Carolina
    Brianna Pinto, So., M, North Carolina
    Alessia Russo, Jr., F, North Carolina
    Tziarra King, Sr., M, NC State
    Meghan McCool, Sr., F, Virginia
    Amanda McGlynn, Sr., GK, Virginia Tech

Second Team All-ACC
    Delaney Graham, So., D, Duke
    Ella Stevens, Sr., M, Duke
    Gabrielle Kouzelos, Jr., GK, Louisville
    Lotte Wubben-Moy, Jr., D, North Carolina
    Phoebe McClernon, Sr., D, Virginia
    Diana Ordonez, Fr., F, Virginia
    Courtney Petersen, R-Sr., D, Virginia
    Alexa Spaanstra, So., M, Virginia
    Taryn Torres, Jr., M, Virginia
    Madison Hammond, Sr., D, Wake Forest

Third Team All-ACC
    Olivia Vaughn, Sr., F, Boston College
    Brooklynn Rivers, Sr., F, Louisville
    Lulu Guttenberger, R-So., D, NC State
    Krissi Schuster, Sr., D, NC State
    Ricci Walking, Sr., M, NC State
    Taylor Otto, R-Jr., M, North Carolina
    Sammi Fisher, Jr., M, Notre Dame
    Eva Hurm, Jr., F, Notre Dame
    Amanda West, Fr., F, Pitt
    Laurel Ivory, Jr., GK, Virginia
    Kelsey Irwin, R-Sr., D, Virginia Tech

All-Freshman Team
    Sam Smith, Fr., F, Boston College
    Hal Herschfelt, Fr., M, Clemson
    Maliah Morris, Fr., F, Clemson
    Sophie Jones, Fr., M, Duke
    Heather Payne, Fr., D, Florida State
    Jenna Nighswonger, Fr., F, Florida State
    Jameese Joseph, Fr., F, NC State
    Isabel Cox, Fr., F, North Carolina
    Amanda West, Fr., F, Pitt
    Diana Ordonez, Fr., F, Virginia

I agree that UVA could/should have better 1st representation.
    I also agree about Staude.
    That said, having 7 on the 1st 3 teams and 1 on freshman team is not bad!

20. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Its not how many. its where and who. There is nothing you can tell me that will make me agree that Russo or Zhao have had first team seasons. I love Berkeley. FSU have conceded 20 goals. UVA 5. At some point it has to be based on each individual season and not reputation. UVa have been screwed and now you have to hope that the players rise above it .

21. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    ONE first team representative, get real .

22. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    You are obviously pissed! I get it!
    I am the one who acknowledged that Zhao did not have an All ACC 1st team season before the picks came out.
    Should UVA have had more first teamers? Yes.
    Should someone else have won DPOTY? Maybe. I wouldn't have a problem with it.
    Should you take some solace in 5 2nd team selections? I dont' know.
    Should I be pissed that Pavlisko and Carle neither one made even 3rd team?
    IMO they deserved it, but oh well!
    UVA should take it as a slight, and kick butt and take names.
    FSU was slighted in AA honors last year.
    They WERE NOT slighted; however, in CC team and individual honors!

23. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    I am not so much pissed as I am disappointed that the ACC is controlled by a few powerful coaches.Performance is ignored and awards are used to further recruiting. Russo did not deserve the awards lat year. First team this year for scoring in ONE ACC game ?

The lack of objectivity in this sport is alarming. As long as there is no objective journalism in it, then nothing will change.

We can debate who the best players are, but one team has scored more an conceded less than anyone else. they are also unbeaten . they have ONE 1st team representative. FSU has lost 4 games and conceded 20 goals. The only reason they are #2 in the ACC is the Syracuse rainout. If people really think this stuff is objective , they are deluded. Does it matter? who knows. If a kid is demoralized by it and pays badly tomorrow, then it matters.

I had limited respect for ACC coaches when it came to this stuff, I have even less now. Not that it matters to them

24. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    "Performance is ignored and awards are used to further recruiting."
    At least I know you aren't talking about FSU and Mark, because we clearly don't recruit very strongly in the US as compared to UNC, Duke and UVA. I don't think Mark carries a lot of weight in the ACC. It has always been tobacco road centric.

I really don't think ACC awards carry much weight with internationals.
    Mark fussed and lobbied behind the scenes for several years about the pre ACCT schedule.
    I remember researching at the time. For several (more than 3) years in a row, FSU traveled out of state to play away games (or Miami, which is like traveling out of state) in the week before the tournament. Then, we were rewarded with playing in NC for the tournament which started sometime during the week.
    In essence, FSU's girls missed large portions of 2 straight weeks of academic classes. Meanwhile, during that same time span, UNC NEVER left the state of NC in the week leading up to the tournament. Of course they could sleep in their beds and attend many classes for those 2 weeks.
    Mark left starters at home. FSU was fined and they penalized Mark somehow.(They may have suspended him from coaching a game).
    The next year, things changed!

Once again, win the ACCT and go far in the big dance, and guess who will get pre and post season awards next year?

25. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    so your point is this years performsnce is irrelevant ? I have a multiple game agenda but I’m supposed to ignore it for one offs ? Russo played 9 games last year opoy. Scored in one acc game. 1st team. McCool has scored big goal after big goal. Castellanos gets the awards. Give me a break. It’s BS and you know it.