Academic Year 19/20 Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Lord Kril, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Dadof3

Dadof3 New Member

Benfica
    Brazil
    Dec 28, 2019
    Think the salary was decent, 65, and I think around 9 Scholarships, I know some good names were in for it and the SWA didn't even bother with them.
    Anyone know who left at LA Tech they have advertised for an assistant

2. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    the LA Tech position has been open awhile. Only had the one assistant and volunteer this fall.

3. Sam Miami

Sam Miami Member

Bayern Munich
    Germany
    Sep 11, 2019
    After reading this thread with some shock that a coach would stoop to this level, I asked DD's former youth coach about how often he thinks colleges break rules when recruiting the club. He thought it was rare to see a small school cheat, but a few in PAC12, SEC, Big 12 were very aggressive with younger players and transfers. Happy to have an Ivy coach here now. LG ran a clean program and did it the right way, looks like that will continue under new leadership.

Fitballer repped this.
  4. Footyballs

Footyballs Member

Barcelona
    United States Virgin Islands
    Dec 19, 2018
    Jacksonville job is a shit show. They lowballed the salary. Said it was $60k to $65k, then in interviews with committee said it was only $55k, lowered it, with potential to make $10k incentive bonuses if all benchmarks were met, so lowered than advertised salary they initially said. Crap factor number 2, their scholarship is at 8.5 only, yet they keep raising cost of attendance, its at $55k now. In addition to that, they force all students to live on campus until their senior year unless they have immediate family in area or own a home there, and they charge $14,000 per year for a shared room dorm and meal plan. That California expensive, when you can literally rent a 3 bedroom house 1 mile from their campus for $1,000 per month for the home, so they rip all the students off.

Last but not least, they just ended the football program this December, which didn't have scholarships, but used a budget of $1 to 2 million to run for travel costs, hotels, gear, marketing, coaches salaries, ect... So they end football, but they when asked if their going to put any of the money that becomes available into the soccer program to enhance it or increase scholarship, they said no, that's not in the plans. Maybe years down the road, but not now.

And as a cherry on top, I heard the athletic director was a dick when he did finalist phone interviews, and wasn't even paying attention, talking to other people in the background during the call and muting the coach so when questions asked he'd pop back in and then mute again and disappear, radio silence. No interest in the program, and no plans in the future to enhance. Whoever they can coerce to go there will be a long road for them. Two of their recruits they committed already bailed, and the all keepers with talent left, the transfer they brought in at semester was a third string player from a soft school and is not D-1 level starter. So pushing March this week,, and the poor players are going to get stuck with some schmuck. Administration, leadership there need to do it right and invest in the team if they want it to be successful. Perfect time to do that seeing that they just had $1 million plus in budget open up, but not, none going to women's soccer. Welp, Big Gulps huh, Catcha later then!!
    Pss. So happy we are done talking about the ULM thing, new coach obviously made a rookie mistake and minor violation, it is shady, low class move, doubt anything will be done other than slap on the wrist, just damages his credibility and puts him on watch. The end. Have a great Monday everyone! :)

Hammers05 repped this.
  5. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. BreakfastBlend

BreakfastBlend Red Card

Ajax
    United States
    Feb 11, 2020

Speaking of ULM................

Just kidding. So Jacksonville's best route forward is probably to get a super hard working, energetic recruiter who can improve the program and move onto another job in 2-3 years (they would probably have to be effective in the transfer portal). Could be a Division I assistant or a head coach from DII, III, or NAIA school who has been successful Then when they leave repeat the process.

Any updates with South Carolina State? Dorrance? Waldrum? Klinsmann?

Footyballs repped this.
  7. BreakfastBlend

BreakfastBlend Red Card

Ajax
    United States
    Feb 11, 2020
  8. Dadof3

Dadof3 New Member

Benfica
    Brazil
    Dec 28, 2019
    Makes sense on JU. Had a colleague that had all sorts of people call the AD and the guy simply passes it off to the SWA. Didn’t even entertain it. Repeat the process for sure. Anyone know why Campbell goes through assistants every year?

9. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Anyone know who is still in the process?

10. Dadof3

Dadof3 New Member

Benfica
    Brazil
    Dec 28, 2019
    Nova coach just took JU

11. CASLKING

CASLKING Member

Houston dash
    United States
    May 20, 2018
    That is a great hire, of true!

He has won in difficult circumstance, took an all girls school, Converse, before Nova to a league title. Not an easy task.

12. winwinchick

winwinchick Member

Celta Vigo
    United States
    Nov 13, 2019
    I agree that this seems to be a good hire for JU, however if this were a female coach, there would be many on here writing about the lack of a D-I coaching background, and a lack of any type of high-level coaching. Nothing against the hire, or the person.

Fitballer and ThePonchat repped this.
  13. BreakfastBlend

BreakfastBlend Red Card

Ajax
    United States
    Feb 11, 2020
    maybe the coach identifies as female.

Footyballs repped this.
  14. HuggerMugger

HuggerMugger New Member

PSV Eindhoven
    United States
    Feb 12, 2020
    Maybe, maybe not. Transitioning from a successful DII position to an underperforming mid-major DI position may not invite the same scrutiny as a similar transition to a p5 or consistent leader in better mid-major conference.

Footyballs repped this.
  15. winwinchick

winwinchick Member

Celta Vigo
    United States
    Nov 13, 2019
    He does not, but I guess it's something you know about?

16. BreakfastBlend

BreakfastBlend Red Card

Ajax
    United States
    Feb 11, 2020
    Busted me. Well done.

I agree that if this was a hire at a school in a power five there would probably be more scrutiny. But for a bad mid major program this is a good hire if it is actually true. I don't see anything on any of the school websites announcing it though.

17. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I wish JU did hire an underqualified female. That would make sense for a program like JU. But instead underqualified females are getting the likes of LSU.

Footyballs repped this.
  18. Footyballs

Footyballs Member

Barcelona
    United States Virgin Islands
    Dec 19, 2018
    Lol, funny stuff. Ya'll nailed it, only scrutiny for female if they aren't qualified with experience for the demands of the position, ie LSU staff. Ironically, the 0-13-3 head coach at JU left to go coach at LSU with her buddy who she coached with at a D-2. So reunited, two unqualified coaches will be working together again at a power 5 school. This is gonna turn out well.

19. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

How is your point about gender identification even relevant to this conversation? I don’t even get what you are trying to say.

20. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

LSU hire is a mess. But the fact it is LSU means recruits will want to go there anyway. She may be able to work this out because the school sells itself.

21. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    I agree with that somewhat. Most of the SEC is an easy sell. But if you don't get above avg SEC players, you don't win. Even Tenn with good players didn't win for a while, it took 4 years. Unless they get some 'lightning in a bottle' type players at LSU, it could be rough.

I like it when good head coaches move up, esp between divisions. I think there's something to having real leadership experience, vs being only an ac. However, dealing with lots more money and high expectations and a fixed term contract has ruined plenty of coaches. Why so many do stay put and there are great coaches in D2/3.

22. PoptartKing

PoptartKing Member

Feb 11, 2020
    I think what Jacksonville needed was an energetic, coach from division II who has a track record of turning programs around. Female or not, Constable certainly has this. The guy grinds like nobody else. Did it at Converse (almost impossible to win at) and then elevated Nova. I think it's a good fit but will be tough to turn it around quickly. 3,4, or 5 year process in my opinion.

Socr4evaH repped this.
  23. winwinchick

winwinchick Member

Celta Vigo
    United States
    Nov 13, 2019
    I agree 100%. Again, I am not saying this was a bad hire at JU, and nothing at all against the coach, but if it was a woman with just a D-III and D-II background, I think there would be people on here that would have an issue. The JU hire seems good and is nothing like the Cornell and Evansville hires, along with the contract extensions at Kentucky and Kansas State, which are all head-scratchers to me.

PoptartKing repped this.
  24. Cantcoach

Cantcoach Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Dec 29, 2017
    not sure about that. Most of the time when a female is hired for a position the merits are based on experience. For example the UNLV hire this year- this job is a better position than Jacksonville and the candidate hired has much less experience and success than the guy JU hired. If a female with the same experience and success as the new male coach at Jacksonville had been hired I think the opinion would be it is a good hire.

25. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    You ignore the UNLV coach's ties to the school. I think that is very important. She played there. She will be invested in the program more than some random outsider.

So many of you think success is only based on wins and losses. You ignore other important factors such as the student athlete experience, or the loyalty to a university, relationship with donors, etc. The UNLV coach just picked up a load of transfers according to Top Drawer. She was a part of the very successful turnaround season at Oregon State.

There are coaches who win, but their players are miserable. While that may fly for you, it doesn't for everyone, including some administrators.