Abramovich to America???

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Coach_McGuirk, Oct 5, 2003.

1. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Wondering if any Chelsea supporters (either in the UK or US) have heard anything about the following.

According to last week's Hockey News, Roman Abramovich has contacted the National Hokey League about purchasing an existing NHL franchise. several NHL teams have been for sale over the past few years, notably the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (owned by Disney) and the Dallas Stars (owned by Tom Hicks, who recently decided to keep the team).

It's not odd that he would want to buy a franchise in the US, but what he wants to do with the team once he acquires it is rather bizarre. Abramovich plans to field a team entirely of Russian players. I guess somebody talked him out of an all - former Eastern Bloc lineup at Chelsea.

I couldn't find the exact link, but here is one to The Hockey News website:

www.thn.com

2. leftwing

leftwing Member

Dec 9, 1999
    Lake Bluff, Il
    I would venture to say that based on his business dealings he would not be approved for ownership, although if they let the Wirtzes own a team, maybe that doesn't apply in the NHL.

3. Theo

Theo New Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    He should buy MLS and then import all the players from Europe.

4. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've got my fingers crossed that he'll get the purse strings handed over from Bill Wirtz.

5. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
  6. leftwing

leftwing Member

Dec 9, 1999
    Lake Bluff, Il
    queasy?

What, you don't want an owner who will spend anything to win? Ha. Well, tell him to come to Chicago. We'd do anything to get rid of ownership who will not spend anything, provided they make money. You north London boys just don't get it yet, do you? Roman buying is the greatest thing that could ever happen to a team. The russian version of George Steinbrenner. You spend a dollar, he'll spend 2. You spend 100 million, he'll spend 200 million. Very difficult to combat a guy like this.

7. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it would be impossible for him to buy a team and stock it with the best Russian players at any price because a) how do you trade a bunch of players making big money for Russians when not every team can afford the expensive players on the roster that would need to be traded and b) the CBA expires Sept 15, 2004 and there will be some form of salary cap imposed, so Roman A would not be able to spend like a drunken sailor.

I also heard the Vancouver Canucks were his initial target.

8. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    According to the Yahoo.ca article, he was negotiating with Tom Hicks to buy the Stars last spring, and when that fell through he shifted his focus to Vancouver.

9. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: queasy?

True except that George is a New Yorker through and through. The same can't be said of Roman. He may come to love Chelsea, but he'll never be London, through and through.

10. Joel Goodson

Joel Goodson Member

Jan 10, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: queasy?

No, he's not. He's from Ohio and made his money in shipping in Cleveland and Tampa. He's only NY from the standpoint of his high profile job. His other business interests keep him out of NY.