Abramovich going to buy Depor?

Discussion in 'Galicia' started by jonam, Jan 18, 2005.

1. jonam

jonam Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Westfalenstadion
    According to media reports here in Germany SGPF, a daughter company of Abramovich's Mulsum PCL, is interested in buying Deportivo La Coruna which has debts of 168 Mio Euro. The offer has been confiremd by Depor president Lendoiro.

Any news on this in Spain?

2. RandyNA74

RandyNA74 Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I haven't seen anything, but if this is true, then our prayers have been answered. :)

Forget Mascherano, I want Vieira. And Ronaldinho. Oh and Shevchenko while we're at it. :D

3. jonam

jonam Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Westfalenstadion
  4. RandyNA74

RandyNA74 Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  5. jonam

jonam Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Westfalenstadion
    Reading the English sources it sounds more like buying stakes in Depor and not totally controlling it. Maybe together with an agreement like Chelsea have with Eindhoven, which is more or less a farm team of Chelsea.

6. RandyNA74

RandyNA74 Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Now it doesn't sound nearly as attractive....but we may still benefit from the relationship, assuming all this is true of course.

7. jonam

jonam Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Westfalenstadion
    Yep, but believe me, the German news read like he wants to completely take over the club.

8. RandyNA74

RandyNA74 Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well hey, he must get tired of Chelsea at some point, right? :D Just like a kid getting tired of a toy and then he wants another one...

9. jonam

jonam Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Westfalenstadion
    If that day ever comes.....Chelsea is fucked. Wage bill like the whole Dutch league, revenues like Tottenham. ;-)

10. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    Here an article from the International Unoffical Depor Website:

http://deportivo-la-coruna.com

I for one, don't like the idea, sure he buys a few shares at first and the next thing you know he's taken over the club. I'd seriously quit the pena I've joined and disavow Depor as my favorite Spanish club if this happens.

11. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Shakes head. Our wage bill is lower than ManUtd's, we have no debt, and we have one of the top 20 incomes in the world. But other than that, yes, absolutely. :rolleyes:
    I predict the next comment will be about us doing a Leeds, which would be impossible, but fun to hear about anyway.

As for this rumor - Abramovich can't buy Depor. Because then, either Chelsea or Depor wouldn't be able to compete in the CL, under UEFA rules. (I believe Canal+ had to sell some stake in Servett, iirc, when they made the UEFA Cup together with PSG.) So unless you think Roman's going to relocate from London to La Coruna (not bloody likely) and make that his primary toy, he can't buy it. Is it possibly one of his cronies might? Sure. But I wouldn't hold your breath. He was supposed to buy Alaves last year, and it went nowhere. But hey, if something like this happens, it will be nice to have a feeder club for Chelsea in Spain. Although I can't really think of any Depor players I'd want at Chelsea save Andrade, and we have Carvalho anyway. Unless you can get Tristan up to form again - I thought he was a wonderful player several years ago, but he's a giant headcase.

12. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    :confused: What exactly would be upsetting to you if Roman pumped some money into your club? :confused: :confused:

13. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    Listen, I have nothing against Chelsea supporters, and I'm not trying to start a flame war with all of you. I hope Roman stays owner for a long time and makes Chelsea champions (which probably will happen this season). But he can take his blood money else where. I don't want anything to do with it or him.

14. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Blood money? Just how familiar are you with Sibneft, Roman and Berezovsky? Roman might be a corrupt oligarch, but its hardly blood money. There's no need to sugar coat your opinions either. I'm a big boy, and if you don't like Roman, you're more than welcome to tell me. I'm not related, you know. If I was, I'd just have uncle Roman buy the site and stop you from posting such atrocious rumors. ;) :p

15. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    Oh I dislike Roman, I'm not sugar coating that. Maybe it's jealousy? Or maybe my reasons are all wrong, but I don't like the guy. But I wanted to say I have nothing wrong with Chelsea or their supporters. That's what I want you to understand.

Oh and some big Russian dude came up to me yesterday, I think you Uncle Roman is already watching me :p.

16. acmilan_barcelona

acmilan_barcelona Nou Camp-San Siro

May 11, 2002
    Barcelona Monteserat
    don`t worry, sooner or later roman will be more concerned about chelsea than depor..as the season comes to a close.. i personally don`t see him buying depor..i think he first wants to see that chelsea is succesfull enough in the premiership and europe and then make another move..

17. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    The rumor that won't go away.....

more at http://deportivo-la-coruna.com "An official fanclub"

18. Ramon Allones

Ramon Allones Member

Feb 8, 2004
    I like the fact that Depor is owned by fans. The fact that they are a medium sized club that plays with the big clubs (and often beats them) is part of their attraction for me (that and my family originally being from Galicia). In fact, I would like to buy some shares (very little of course) of Depor.

I hope Abramovich stays away from our club. If I wanted to support a super rich club that buys 1 or 2 "Galacticos" per year I would support Real Madrid. We need to keep core players like Valeron, Luque, and Andrade and add the occasional complimentary player like Coloccini and Lucho Gonzalez (hopefully).