About the AFC/CONCACAF Playoff spot

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by SS2006, Nov 17, 2004.

1. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    Re: Is concacaf's 4th able to beat asia' 5th?

concacaf 4th can beat Asia's # 3!
    See Costa Rica versus China, 02 World Cup
    Also see Saudi Arabia, 02 World Cup

2. Rusty_Shackleford

Mar 24, 2004

costa rica didnt do too good in the semi final round the last time around either, look how they finished. i'm pretty sure i meant tough time on the road as in tough time on the road. moron.

3. paul51

paul51 New Member

Jul 23, 2003

I totally agree with you, CR is back in track they won 10 of the last 12 points, they could easily finish first or second....

4. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The Asian seeds have been announced prior to the draw on December 9, which may help us speculate on which team will be the #5 from Asia who will play the #4 from Concacaf.

The eight teams left in Asia will be split into two groups of four. The top two from each group will go to Germany. The third place teams will play each other home-and-away to determine the #5 who will then play the Concacaf #4 home-and-away.

The seeds are:
    #1 - South Korea and Japan
    #2 - Saudi Arabia and Iran
    #3 - Bahrain and Uzbekistan
    #4 - Kuwait and North Korea

These seeds mean that the two teams with the same seed will not be in the same group.

So barring any upsets, the top 4 from Asia should be South Korea, Japan, Saudi Arabia and Iran. I don't know enough about the other four teams but it seems like they are all a level below the top 4, and with the seeding, it won't be possible to have three of those four in the same group.

I'm biased but I think any of the Concacaf six can take any of those four teams in a home-and-away. Except maybe T&T. I think Panama is competitive with these guys and I think it would be no sweat for Guatamala, Costa Rica, USA or Mexico.

5. Toolhead

Toolhead Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union

There's that WR charm, still claiming not to be trolling? I see that the sarcasm in my post went over your head, moron.