About the AFC/CONCACAF Playoff spot

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by SS2006, Nov 17, 2004.

1. SS2006

SS2006 Member

Oct 30, 2004
    London, Canada
    would the 4th CONCACAF team be strong enough, who do you think it might be, honduras, guatemala? are they strong enough to be a team like iran lets say if we finsih 3rd?
    tahnks

2. The Creeper

The Creeper New Member

Jul 18, 2000
    Up in MA
    No doubt in my mind that the Concacaf team will advance. I'd guess Guatemala right now.....

3. Toolhead

Toolhead Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Looking at the final in the AFC, my guess is that Japan, S. Korea, Saudi Arabia, & Iran finish 1-4. I think the 5th place spot comes down to Bahrain, Uzbekistan, or maybe Kuwait, IMHO either Guatemala or Panama should be able to win a home and away against any of those three.

4. erdeek

erdeek New Member

Sep 10, 2004
    T-Town
    thats looking pretty good for CONCACAF teams

how are things going in OCEANIA?

5. El Cabrito

El Cabrito Member

Dec 22, 2002
    Ca
    Guatemal certaintly has a chance, but I don't know about Panama. We'll have to see how they do in the Hex... T&T might sneak by aswell.

6. Toolhead

Toolhead Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    If T&T can beat the 5th place Asian team, that would say alot about the level of AFC. I mean if it weren't for their easy draw in the semi's, no way does T&T make the hex. I wouldn't rank them any higher than the 9th best team in Concacaf, and that's being generous even, IMO.

7. eldiablito

eldiablito New Member

Jun 8, 2000
    in Sagy's shadow
    Well, Oceania is finished. Australia has won their 0.5 slot. They have a year to prepare themselves for the 5th placed South American team.

8. Mr Fish

Mr Fish Member

Feb 2, 1999
    W. Orange <-> NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. SS2006

SS2006 Member

Oct 30, 2004
    London, Canada
    id see its hard for T&T to win Bahrain for exampel home and away
    saud thats a diffent story :)

10. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    either GUA, T&T,PAN might win over Bahrain, Uzbekistan, or maybe Kuwait, BUT if they have to play against japan, china or southkorea, they wil be in serious problems.

11. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Realizing that outside of the AFC's top four South Korea, Iran, Japan, and Saudi Arabia, I think whoever our 4th best is could defeat the AFC's 5th best. One of the AFC's big 4 is a different story, though.

12. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    Not so sure about the last sentence.

I know Jamaica has a pretty respectable record against Japan and South Korea. (Hell, against African teams as well.) They beat Japan in the 98 WC, and have since drawn them in a friendly in Japan. I think they drew with South Korea a year back or so.

According to the most recent ELO Ratings Jamaica is level with Uzbekistan, China, and Saudi Arabia. Guatemala is right there as well.

Yes, Jamaica (and Honduras) didn't advance. But that is because CONCACAF is deeper than it used to be. I wouldn't write off Guatemala, or Panama for that matter.

I think our fourth best can beat anyone from Asia. If Jamaica or Honduras had made the hex, I think they would've been favored to win against any of the AFC "big four".

13. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    Well, China didn't make the final six. They couldn't get out the Asian "Group of Death": China, Hong Kong, Kuwait, and Malaysia. ;)

14. twelfth man

twelfth man New Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Connecticut
    I agree. If Guatemala or Panama cannot beat Uzbekistan, Kuwait or Bahrain in a "home and home" series, then it won't deserve to advance to Germany anyway.

15. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Asia has a final eight (two groups of four), not a final six.

16. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    Apologies, my mistake.

China isn't in the top eight in Asia.

17. Green Tabasco

Green Tabasco New Member

May 3, 2003
    I agree. Too bad about Jamaica and Honduras. They are traditionally superior to Guatemala and Panama. That said. Panama is the dark horse of the final 6. And I believe they are not the weakest. Panama should be able to defeat anybody in Asia excluding Japan and S. Korea. Guatemala is the same, the only difference is motivational. Panama has got the edge, so far. We'll see......

18. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    I like the coach! I hope the players get to see better competition in different ligas around conmebol! experience.....

I see guatemala and costa Rica losing to panama at rommel fernandez stadium.

19. Green Tabasco

Green Tabasco New Member

May 3, 2003
    I like the coach too. Not alot of flash, but AAAALLLLOOOOOTT of Pizzaz!

But I gotta give credit were credit is due. Maturana and even Stempel believe it or not, deserve a little of credit. They both helped build a solid base. It started years ago and has been a slow progression, but Panama has finally Over-Achieved.

Not bad for a country of a total population of 2.8 million.

20. Delsocfan

Delsocfan New Member

Oct 23, 2004
    Wilmington, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    North and South Korea are considering bringing a unified team to the World Cup if they both qualify. If FIFA were to approve this (even though it doesn't make much soccer sense to do this for the 06 cup, it makes sense as far as promoting peace etc...) what would this mean for the loser of the AFC/CONCACAF playoff spot? Would they then qualify because there is now an open spot, or should the newly created open spot go to some other federation?

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=316813&cc=5901

21. Green Tabasco

Green Tabasco New Member

May 3, 2003
    Wow. Damn interesting article. Thanx.

IF and that's a big IF, they both qualify, that would leave one spot open. Logically the Asians will fight for it. If FIFA approves it, I'll bet my HOUSE and 5 years worth of my Salary that UEFA or CONMEBOL get it, before us lowly CONCACAFERS.

Next year WILL be interesting, the whole FIFA structure will be thrown into Chaos. Not to mention my fellow twisted WR'ers, once the Asians get whif of this...oh, oh.....

22. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    There isn't a lot of background... but it sounds like this started with a comment by the North Korean coach. The South Korean response sounds like nothing more than a polite "no".

23. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the Concacaf team will advance unless one of the traditional Asian powers (SK, Japan, Saudi, or Iran) finish fourth. Regardless, the idea that one of the following teams:

Uzbekistan
    Kuwait
    Bahrain
    Panama
    T&T
    Guatemala

Is going to be guaranteed a WC spot is ridiculous. I think the sixth best team in Conmebol or one of the teams that fails at the playoff stage from UEFA will be far more deserving.

24. Green Tabasco

Green Tabasco New Member

May 3, 2003
    I agree. or any of a half dozen African teams.

25. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    Japan is a traditional power? How far back does success need to stretch to be "traditional". I think you meant the South Koreans. [Edit: apologies; looked right past the "SK"]

Anyway, according to the most recent ELO rankings Guatemala is rated higher than Hungary and Scotland, two nations that have great soccer traditions and once fielded great teams (each were the best in the world in their day).

Who's to say that Guatemala, Panama, or Uzbekistan aren't entering their golden age. They may not be the best in the world, but at least they will have earned the right to compete in the World Cup. Unlike "better" teams like Honduras, Jamaica, the sixth team in CONMEBOL, and some European playoff loser.

I, too, am disappointed with the apparent quality of the CONCACAF hex and the final eight from Asian look none-too-threatening, but they got there by winning.