Abolish the Draft

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by adam tash, May 8, 2014.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, its the end of next year, as there's an option year in the contract for 2023.

2. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Screenshot_20220129-170326_Chrome.jpg
    The option was for 2022.

3. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry you're right, there's an additional option for 2023.

xtomx and JasonMa repped this.
  4. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once again — this is why no one here takes you seriously. Everything you post comes from the expectation that the only function of MLS is to get good players OUT OF MLS. That MLS is awful, and so they should be trying to help players further their non-MLS careers rather than try to run a league.

And I’m laughing at the idea of a bidding war for 22-year-olds coming out of the Mountain West.

Chesco United, jaykoz3 and JasonMa repped this.
  5. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well yeah there are more than 10 national leagues that are better than MLS....so yeah...for player development gettting the best americans out of MLS should be a goal.

long term, the league can get to the point where that is the case...but it hasnt happened yet.

i have no sympathy for MLS wanting to keep players in the league becasue thy dont prioritize level of play and improving the quality. 3 dps and limited salary cap just isnt enough to challenge even smaller euro leagues like netherlands belgium etc

bidding war between mls clubs for college players makes you laugh? lol

what does mls trading players that want to leave the league to each other do for you??? thats more ridiculous

6. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The are probably 8 players a year worth "bidding" for.

Last years #1 draft pick made $99k. #2 made $96k. Here are some college grad average starting salaries:

Computer engineering: $85,996
    Chemical engineering: $72,713
    Petroleum engineering: $87,989
    Computer and information science: $78,603
    Overall $55,260

By the way neither was American so I guess they could have signed for clubs in their domestic leagues, but they choose to come to the states, play college soccer and enter the MLS draft.

7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are there? I mean, everyone says and assumes this, but when you really start to think about it its fairly close. I'd might give you 10, but I'm not sure I'd give you 15.

There's obviously the big 5. After that though you've got leagues where there are individual teams better than anything in MLS, but the average of the league top to bottom? We see good teams in leagues like the Netherlands, Belgium, Portugal, etc. buying good but not necessarily top MLS players and having them play regularly. That indicates to me that there's not a ton of difference in the caliber of play.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  8. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #608 KCbus, Jan 29, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
    Again... remember what forum you're in.

YOU think that MLS should be shipping players out because it's better for the players. YOU think that they're not interested in quality of play because there's a salary cap that doesn't let teams run away with the league. YOU think everyone would be better off if players left for greener pastures.

Even if you're right -- even if the best thing for an individual player's career is to leave MLS. You haven't offered any reason why MAJOR LEAGUE SOCCER would be motivated to enable any of this. Everything you're suggesting has an end game of improving the national team by making individual players better, but it leaves a talent void in MAJOR LEAGUE SOCCER. Even your claim that the league would be able to make more money in transfer fees by simply abolishing the draft is specious at best. Even in this thread, you bemoan how bad MLS is and how low the level of play is, but you also think that bidding wars for unproven, just-drafted 22-year-old amateurs is somehow going to raise that level?

Look. This thread was started eight years ago. Eight. Years. Ago. A lot has changed over those eight years. The draft has, in fact, become less and less relevant. I'm a lot more willing to listen to arguments from MLS fans about whether or not it's still necessary in its current form, or if there's a better way to integrate the college guys into the league. It's not absurd. It's just that you do a crappy job of making the case for it, because every potential upside you list has nothing to do with actually making the league or the individual clubs better. It's all about -- as is everything else you talk about -- the national team. It's about your belief that it's MLS' first and greatest responsibility to help the USMNT be competitive on the world stage. Good for you. You're delusional, but good for you.

ardubois3, xtomx, jaykoz3 and 1 other person repped this.
  9. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mexico, brazil, argentina, portugal, spain, france, germany, epl, netherlands, belgium, italy,

then a bunch of other leagues that probably better but hard to be sure...
    im not the one who is going off topic....the response to my posts are veering off consistentlly...im just then responding to what other people are saying

how about convincing more kids in the us to play soccer?

how about convincing all the 12 year olds that do play soccer that they can make it to the top of the sport by going through the american system?

this recent explosion of tranfsers out of the league is big time. why do you think MLS is doing this? its a decision they have made as a league

but in my opinion...it is just the tip of the iceberg

the country has a lot of talent to export and develop

convincing the best athletes in the country will go a long way to making MLS better than it is right now

and opening things up and really making things player friendly is the way towards that goal

MLS' attitude towards players is petty and vindictive imo....its penny wise pound foolish....and it is costing the league years of retarded development....

10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I mentioned, if good but not top tier MLS players are going to top teams in Belgium and the Netherlands and succeeding, its evidence that those leagues may not be obviously better than MLS. Specifically just from Colorado, Sam Vines to Royal Antwerp and Cole Bassett to Feyenoord (he hasn't succeeded yet, obviously, but there's nothing that suggests he won't).

11. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the coach of feyenoord said he will need a year or so just to acclimate and doesnt expect him to play this season - kinda indicates that there is a significant gap in quality between netherlands and MLS in my opinion

i dont hate mls ....but theres a lot abut the league that is cringe/not ideal/etc

for one, i dont think that quality of play is a real priority for the league

which is ludicrous in a gloabl sport......theyve reached this comfortable status quo mediocrity which i dont quite understand how they are so comfortable with

having a draft and not abolishing it also in my opinion is not about quality of play at all

but player control

squeezing labor as much as possible in all ways

12. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #612 Paul Berry, Jan 29, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
    If you think the US system is bad you really don't understand how soccer works elsewhere.

It wasn't long ago that players in England were paid $60 per week by the government because football teams weren't willing to pay kids.

Then there are all the African teenagers that get lost in the European lower leagues.

There are the academy dropouts that don't get a decent education because their focused on football. That varies by country but they don't get a second chance.

The ones you see playing at the top level are the ones that survived a very tough and cutthroat system.

The Superdraft is not the only choice for college players as mentioned and the number of homegrowns is growing every season.

Miles Robinson is where he wants to be and in the next two years he'll get his chance to play in Europe or he'll be a free agent.

They just need to turn on NBC, or ESPN+, or Paramount+ or beIN sports on a Saturday morning or weekday afternoon where they can watch Pulisic, Reyna, McKennie, Hoppe, Cannon, Aaronson, Reynolds, Dike, Steffen, Ream, Weah, Yedlin, Richards, Sargent, Ledezma, Paredes, Pepi, Busio, Tessman, Bassett, Clark, Gomez, De La Fuente, Pefok, Sands, Mueller, Horvarth. Soto and coming soon Bello and Turner.

And just looking at those players you can see the variety of options open to American players, from MLS academies to pay to play, to college, to moving directly to Europe at 16 or 18 depending on nationality.

Elninho, xtomx and jaykoz3 repped this.
  13. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's 20 years old. He's playing for one of the top teams in Holland. He wasn't even starting every match for Colorado. Of course it's going to take him time to adjust.

14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you have a cite for the "year or so just to acclimate"? I've seen his comments about not being a big part of the picture the rest of this season, but that's not a surprise when joining mid-year. From what I read it sounded like they expect to work him into the team over the course of the rest of this season and expect him to be competing for starting minutes next season.

15. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #615 adam tash, Jan 30, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2022
    it is a surprise when players like kyle duncan and james sands start right away and kyle duncan makes team of the week in belgium immediately

sands got poor reviews and now isnt starting bc lack of tactical awareness

which is the same reason the feyenoord coach said bassett wont play this season - he apparently needs to get up to spped tactially despite impressing a lot physically

MLS doesnt prepare these players tactically very well - you see it with the mls players in the usmnt too

there are simply higher levels of play beyond MLS

which for the us player pool as a whole it is imperative that as many players can get into that environment as possible

16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I'll take that a no, you don't have a cite for that quote...

17. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yet The Athletic credits James Sands as ‘tactically outstanding’.

It's understandable because he played in the Manchester City academy system, the one that helped develop Gio Reyna and Joe Scally who made their BL debuts at 17 and 18 respectively.

In other news Tyler Adams signed for RB Leipzig in January 2019 and sat out one match before starting.

So going from MLS to starting in a top 5 league is not that unusual.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  18. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Early in the thread it started with his assumption that foreign MLS players and players in foreign leagues have a lot more leverage than they actually have, and only got worse from there.

20. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #620 Yoshou, Feb 4, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2022
    Can youth players even move between academies in other countries? IE, if a kid lives in Liverpool, can Liverpool recruit a kid that is a standout in Tranmere’s academy (assuming they have one, of course)? Doesn’t FIFA have anti-tamper rules that prevents a bigger club from poaching youth players?

21. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In England the Football League gave higher clubs the opportunity to poach their academy players for a fixed fee in return for TV money. It's called the Elite Player Performance Plan.

An example of the impact was that in the early 2000s Notts County got £1.2 million from Tottenham for a 15 year- old Jermaine Pennant. Under EPPP we would probably have received £40,000.

So yes Liverpool could poach a kid from Tranmere for a fixed fee.

Before EPPP kid had to live within 90 minutes of their academy but that has gone.

In France and Spain I think they have residential academies where kids get an high quality education as well as soccer training.

Again before EPPP Notts had a full-time academy. Now I think it's a couple of evenings a week after school.

Yoshou repped this.
  22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, Bassett suited up for Feyenoord this morning but didn't get subbed in. That's seems a lot closer to playing than "doesnt expect him to play this season", even if the plan is to only use him in 5-10 minute appearances a handful of times this season.

Chesco United repped this.
  23. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well great. I am a fan of bassett and think he is destined for big things....but I read quotes from the coach somewhere that indicated he wouldnt play this season. so, all the better if he forces the coach to reconsider

24. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The quote from Slot I saw was that "he's one for the future".

He's a 20 year-old, who started in 2/3 of the Rapids' games last season, who's moved to a top 3 Eredivisie team that regularly competes in the Europa League. So it is quite a step up.

Anyway I suspect he was signed by te Kloese, who an ex-MLS GM should be looking westward for young talent.

As far as the draft is concerned, well a decade or so ago Bassett would probably have still been an amateur playing college soccer.

Chesco United repped this.
  25. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So here's an inspiring tale.

Sam Rogers was at Seattle Sounders academy. He was offered a scholarship by Villanova but turned it down to join Seattle Sounders 2.

He then joined OKC Energy before joining a club in the Norwegian second division on loan. The club won promotion.

He's just joined first division Rosenberg who are regulars in the Champions and Europa Leagues (though not next season).