ABC News holds Terror Warning Video

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by LA Galaxy Fan, Oct 27, 2004.

1. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because we all know that terrorists, through a pre-arranged agreement, send their terror threat videotapes exclusively to ABC News. :rolleyes: What else do you have, that CBS is sitting on secret photos that show Kerry eating children in a satanic ritual?

2. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where to begin on this...?

1. You mean DHS doesn't know about this?
    2. Condi Rice is too busy campaigning for her boss to notice?
    3. Dick Cheney has obviously fallen down on the job if ABC is about to scare the American public first.

I mean come on - is Drudge seriously banging ABC for having intelligence that BushCo should already have?

3. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you read the article? Where do you get that DHS & other governmental PTB don't know about it?

As much as it pains me to admit it, the Drudge article isn't being judgemental at all. Also, it says that the CIA is analyzing the tape, so clearly ABC didn't hold it back from the gubmint.

4. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The article does say the threat was given by someone with an American accent that had their face concealed. Then the tape was given to ABC in Pakistan.

This is inconsistent with how Al Qaeda has made tapes and passed them to the media in the past. Previously, the threat is made by an Al Qaeda leader and the tape is sent to an arab station.

But if Rove wanted a threat to reach the US media just before the election, this would be the best way to get it there. Straight to ABC. And if you wanted the scary message to be as clear as possible to voters in the US, you'd have the message be in english with an American accent.

It makes you wonder if this is a hoax or not.

5. GRUNT

GRUNT Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lake Oswego, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see.

So, Karl Rove might be warning of a cataclysmic bloodbath that will be Bush's fault in order to get people to vote for Bush?

Yes, it does make one wonder.

6. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure I read it, but I guess maybe I'm a little too sensitive to Drudge's constant spinning. My first read of it was that Drudge was somehow trying to make the case that this was an example of the "liberal news media" trying to sink BushCo. the week before the election; not too far a stretch when you consider his article yesterday about CBS wanting to hold back the al Qaqaa story until the end of this week.

7. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

1) It's ABC, not CBS, who is accused of holding back the tape. And if it is indeed the case that they turned it over to the government instead of airing it right away, then I applaud them.

2) I don't understand how an actual AQ attack or a warning can help Bush when the reason behind the threat/attack is that it's a punishment for electing Bush. So much for Bush keeping us safe. (I'm not saying that AQ wouldn't attack us regardless of who is POTUS. I just don't get why it would be an advantage for Bush.)

8. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bush has a 19% lead over Kerry on handling terrorism. So, when people feel threatened, they lean towards Bush. An actual attack may hurt Bush in the long run (if re-elected) but another terror warning would certainly help Bush in the short run.

9. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're going to get into a fight, who do you want standing in your corner, the drunk guy who likes to fight when he's drunk or the lanky hippie? :)

10. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you think Americans would react to a foreign terrorist saying "We are going to attack you because we hate Bush"? The average American would get their back-up-against-the-wall and vote for Bush in defiance. "No terrorist is going to influence my vote! I support our president!"

11. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I guess you're right. But if they actually do attack us?

12. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    I'm not a hippie!

Anymore.

13. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The lanky hippie who has actually killed a man.

14. LA Galaxy Fan

LA Galaxy Fan Member

Feb 28, 2000
    Tokyo
    Update: NBC News analysts say CIA can’t authenticate... | 2nd update: Reuters reported ABC gives tape to FBI, CIA...

15. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...ok, let's include the girlfriend of the drunk guy who likes to fight and see if you change your tune.

16. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like an episode of "Cops"

17. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This campaign has played out like an episode of "Cops."

18. dsylvest

dsylvest Member

Jan 18, 1999
    DC
    ...some people believe that heightened security concerns push voters toward supporting President Bush because he's viewed by some as a "tough leader" and competent in protecting citizens' lives.

19. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the sequence of events here:

-- ABC News gets a hold of some random tape with someone thereatening attacks.
    -- Instead of just throwing it on to the air with no checking of its veracity (you may have heard, some networks have gotten into a bit of trouble lately for doing just that), ABC turns the tape over to the FBI and CIA.
    -- CIA informs the White House that they have a new tape to review.
    -- White House calls Drudge to tell him that ABC is "sitting on" a new terrorist tape, and Drudge runs it as an attack on ABC.

Brilliant!

20. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, I know, I know. I guess I was trying to stay in denial about the gullibility of the american public.

21. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    check THIS out [/nba inside stuff] :p

odd insult huh? well at least to me it is.
    the bold part definitely seems like a compliment, in that it would appeal to the average american.
    and the latter, italicized comment sounds like a justification for iraq.

i may be stretching, but my english teacher is trying to teach that to me :D

22. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

West Bromwich Albion/RBNY/PSG/Gamba Osaka/Sac Republic
    United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw a clip from the video this evening on World News Tonight. From what I could tell of this ominous threatening figure...

-The guy in scarf appears to be overweight

-He's wearing glasses

-He has an American accent, it kinda sounds like he's from the Midwest.

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?? YES! It's Michael Moore!!! :eek:

23. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But the guy's wearing a different brand of glasses. He looks suspiciously like Karl Rove, to be honest.

Now, I don't think that even Rove is so stupid as to cast himself in a last-minute terror videotape (which ABC paid $500 for -- more money for BC04!). But then again, it would be so implausible that everyone would dismiss any evidence that pointed to the fact that it was Rove, thus making Rove the perfect person to actually be the terrrrrrrist. The brilliant Keiser Karl strikes again!

24. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    I haven't seen the tape (FN.com feed wouldn't load and can't find it anywhere else), but supposedly the guy specifically threatens people who will vote for Bush.