A very close look at the badges and possible changes

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Kibby

Kibby Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Ottawa
    Wow Van and Ottawa have similar CoAs

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. NYFC

NYFC Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Brooklyn
    It's a great logo except for the two action outlines on the bottom of the badge. They take away from the timelessness of the badge and pigeon hole it into being very "now" only.

On the Whitecaps badge. Reiterating what others have said, it's too cartoony. Scrap it and go with the idea of incorporating the city badge. And don't use such a cartoony font on the wordmark.

The Seattle Jetsons badge is terrible.

Toronto's is the class of the league by far.

3. loben52

loben52 New Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    No no no... I didn't mean go on a limb to make a new crest like those (disgusting by the way). I am just saying that we should use proper coat of arms elements in our badge. I;m just saying that the seattle badge was too plain..and that we should not go in that direction.

4. whiteisthecolour

whiteisthecolour Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Ummmmm...if I put up 1000 different North American civic coat of arms, probably 600 of them would look close to that.

Two men standing on either side is VERY common and denotes the industries the city was built on.

Blue wavy lines indicate that the city is near water - so any city near water usually represents like that (I know off the top of my head that Surrey, BC, and Kamloops, BC both have that, I think Richmond, BC does too).

And those are the only two elements that match! And even then, only barely. =)

I'd say they are quite different!

The only thing about Toronto's badge that I don't like is that...well....uh...it isn't really about anything. It's got a T, it's got stripes, it's got a highly stylized Maple Leaf.

I agree it is timeless, but it is also oddly unthematic. Unless, of course, the gigantic "T" is meant to imply Toronto is the center of the universe - that would make a lot of sense...

5. Durian Durian

Durian Durian New Member

Jul 10, 2008
    Vancouver
    I agree, I've always wondered what the other geometric shapes are behind the T? They have those two buildings downtown that they use as the city's image in their logotype and in the "T" in their civic flag. Is that what the arch behind it is supposed to represent (like a birds eye view looking down at the ground and those are the tops of the building? But I do like their "Centennial" style maple leaf.

However, being one of the lone west coasters who enjoys Toronto, this "centre of the Universe" thing is something we've completely made up and just have a complex about there being a bigger city than us. I encounter none of this so called "hate" towards Vancouver, in fact I find it to be the friendliest city in Canada. But whiteisthecolour I do get the joke ;D OT I know.

Their badge though is a clear and clean example of how we can stay away from this Kings and Queens nonsense of a crest and can do something completely modern that represents our new traditions. TFC isn't faking history with that shield.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Is this any better - keeping the actual Ball & wave and redoing everything else:

[​IMG]

7. Durian Durian

Durian Durian New Member

Jul 10, 2008
    Vancouver
    Clever idea with the mountain peak.

I'd like them to do something modern and stylized with that Bauhaus style typography that they had back in the 70s and you were using. It *seems to be* the more popular seller nowadays, and their merchandise on matchday seems to be using the old typography more and more.

8. Kibby

Kibby Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Ottawa
    damn well i looked at Toronto's, Calgary's, Edmonton's, Montreal's, Quebec City's, Halifax's. Winnipegs, Red Deer's, Kingston's, Fredricton, and on and on none were even remotely in the ballpark

St. John's was in the ball park

Edmonton did have human supporters. Most were animals. Half had none.

Vancouver and ottawa have the same helmet.. both have a blue and white mantle coming off it. They both have a lumberjack in the left. They both have elements coming out from the top of the helmet (sail..pine tree). They both have elements in the top right and left of the shield. the Blue/White water in the shield.

The wavy water lines which btw alot of the other cities near water did not have. St. John's had them but not in the same colors Ottawa/Van has, Toronto's were outside the shield.

They really can be grouped similarily when looking across the major cities of Canada which have farily varied CoAs

9. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Not to go too far off topic, but just a couple exmaples of coat of arms we have been discussiing (I really dig heraldry):

Richmond, BC:
    [​IMG]

Kamloops, BC:
    [​IMG]

Langley Township, BC:
    [​IMG]

10. Kibby

Kibby Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Ottawa
    I dig Kamloops'... it really comes together nice

11. piltdownman

piltdownman Member

Jun 24, 2005
    vancouver
    Here is my crack at it:

[​IMG]

In case you didn't notice I love the NASL logo

12. anewsoccerfan

anewsoccerfan Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Chapel Hill, NC

Hey now. That looks pretty goood.

13. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bravo!

- Paul

14. Durian Durian

Durian Durian New Member

Jul 10, 2008
    Vancouver
    We still for the most part retain the idea of the NASL logo. But good on ya for sneaking in the Lions as the mountains too. The wave should stay the same in any incarnation, its like West Ham's hammers, Liverpool's crane or Tottenham's hotspur.

(These are the Lions what the CFL's team is nicknamed after for out of towners. These two mountain peaks that watch over the city.)
    [​IMG]

15. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Nice

16. loben52

loben52 New Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Hey..that is a nice logo.

I think the mountains shouldn't be so round.. it makes it look like two breast lol...maybe its just me. ahha

and the vancouver font has to change

other than that..i love the format, and the theme that you got there

17. Johnnie Monster

Jul 9, 2005
    Richmond, BC
    Here's an attempt at a retro style crest.... disco lettering and all....

[​IMG]

18. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I like the lettering, the wave, and the ditching of the soccerball.

I do not like the RED leaf (no red -- TFC are the "Reds")like the colours you used. I know they are official Cap colours, I just think it would be better to chanlours to a darker blue and a lighter, purer blue.

What about making the leaf sky blue? N such a way that it looks like mountain peaks? That might really be something...

19. Johnnie Monster

Jul 9, 2005
    Richmond, BC
    I appreciate the input, but I would say that a blue maple leaf screams "Toronto!" much more than a red one ever will.

[​IMG]

Meanwhile, the Whitecaps have almost always worn a red maple leaf on the sleeves.

[​IMG]

It was also the key component of our very first logo:

[​IMG]

I would say that Vancouver has just as much justification for incorporating a red leaf into their kits and crest as Toronto.

A red maple leaf belongs to all Canadians, not just the Torontonians who give us all a bad name. And contrary to what some broadcasters would have us believe, Toronto is not Canada's team, and never will be.

20. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I said a SKY BLUE leaf, not a dark blue one! I of all peopld any association with any TO team.

I know we have justificatiouse a red lead, and even history to use it, but just as l never wear a hint of white in their jersey because of hated Real Madrid, likewise I don't want the a hint of "Red". We used to use a bit of red, - that was before the "Reds" came. What a great opportunity to t our foot down and fire the first volley in the cuween the two clubs: never wear Red!

21. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    I disagree. I'd much rather show my pride for country than my hatred for one city. I like the red maple leaf.

Also, I'd like to see more US teams with a small flag on the sleeve.

22. Johnnie Monster

Jul 9, 2005
    Richmond, BC
    Besides, the only red on the uni would be the leaf itself... we're not even talking about red trim or piping.

Don't let those tools back east spoil your national pride!

23. NYFC

NYFC Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Brooklyn
    I like this. Good move ditching the soccer ball for the leaf.

24. NF-FC

NF-FC Member

Nov 28, 2006
    Niagara Falls
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    here's my crack at piltdownman's logo.

[​IMG]

25. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Okay, now that you all shot down my objective criticisms of the logo, I say that I REALLY dislike a red leaf on a two-tone blue bac much rather have the leaf blue in the pic, or bring back the bring back the soccer ball.