A unified league for Great Britain?

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by Daniel A, Jul 12, 2005.

1. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cascadia, California, Quebec, New England, Texas, Basque Country, Catalonia, Galicia, Lombardy, Sicily, Bavaria, Chiapas, and many other nations around the world request the support of nation-loving football fans everywhere, especially the ones who live on the British Isles, for their unique cultural perspective and historical football cache should provide a hefty amount of sway.

- Paul ;)

2. RedFriday

RedFriday New Member

Jul 1, 2005
    The simple fact is that no team in Scotland, Wales and NI would be able to compete in the EPL. At least they get a chance to qualify for Champions League whilst in their respective leagues. God there are enough ************ teams in England, we dont need anymore...

3. king_saladin

king_saladin New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    MI, USA
    You make it sound like it's just a loose confederation.
    I've been told by a Scot that citizenship is the same, no matter which part of the UK you live/were born in. That doesn't sound like 'different nations' to me... even in the USA, you are only a resident of a particular state and have disadvantages if trying to live in others.

Rangers and Celtic are probably about the 3rd-6th richest clubs in the UK.

4. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    England, Wales and Scotland are not different nations - not anywhere other than in the eyes of certain sporting confederations in any case (almost exclusively in sports we invented, it might be worth adding).

And Rangers and Celtic are not even close to being the 3rd, 4th or 5th richest clubs in the UK. Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester United, Liverpool, Newcastle, Aston Villa, Spurs and Middlesbrough are all bigger financially. The Old Firm have a large fan base and a lot of people through the turnstiles every week, but they don't make anywhere near as much from TV and associated earnings. The Old Firm, transplanted into the EPL - now there would be two financial powerhouses. But in the SPL? Nah.

Celtic's record signing is Chris Sutton for £6m.

5. king_saladin

king_saladin New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    MI, USA
    Ahh. I just went by this FOX site rating the 'richest clubs', and where Celtic and Rangers were both in the top 20. I thought it was rated by 2003-2004 payroll.

this shows Celtic as 6th.

6. Alan_V

Alan_V Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Anaheim, CA via NJ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I count 8th???
    Manu (1)
    Arse (7)
    'Pool (8)
    'Toon (9)
    Chelsea (10)
    Spurs (15)
    Leeds (16)
    Celtic (20)

The only real substantive difference I see since last year would be Chelsea's standing. The otheres may have changed, but I wouldn't expect dramatically so. Maybe Leeds.

7. king_saladin

king_saladin New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    MI, USA
    I missed Tottenham. But surely you don't think Leeds is anywhere near there anymore do you?

8. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    That's turnover. As the list shows, according to turnover, Manchester United are richer than Chelsea. According to reality, they're not even close, for obvious reasons not related to the simple mechanics of a football club as a business.

Fact is, Celtic lose money most years because funding a giant in a kindergarten is an expensive and not particularly lucrative enterprise. Of the 20 Premier League clubs in the season you cite, whilst most have serviced debts, only three made a loss in the last published financial year.

9. Alan_V

Alan_V Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Anaheim, CA via NJ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know, but likely not. Even with everything else the same with respect to income, the loss of money from whatever differences there are between Prem and Championship television would pull them down significantly. But using the data presented...........

10. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Matt Clark is right, that list was just turnover, only shows one side of it.

Also worth bearing in mind that if they were in the Premiership Celtic and Rangers would not be allowed to enter European competition, in the same way that Swansea and Cardiff can't.

So although they would get a revenue boost from the Premiership, they would never be near the top 6 clubs as they can't offer the possibility of European competition to prospective players and would not have that extra income even if they finish high enough.

11. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Well, in the thankfully unlikely event that the EPL were to admit Rangers and Celtic, I think we can reasonably assume that UEFA would find some "extraordinary consensus" to bend the rules on European representation for Scottish teams in the English league. Both clubs are, after all, members of the G14.

But like I say, it's thankfully a remote possibility that we will ever be in a position to find out for sure.

12. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Ah yes, the UK football team and league. The wet dreams of the UK Plastic fans (which is rather strange when you think about it... plastic fans of a team that doesn't even exist). "Imagine Ryan Giggs in the England line-up!"

It won't happen anytime soon. I hope it doesn't. Each nation has their own identity and league. And then look at the repercussions if Celtic and Rangers, et. al did form one league, aka the "Phoenix League" as it was once referred to a couple of years ago. What happens when one of them faces relegation into the nationwide conference? What happens when they lose their Champions-League places? Not so easy... I think some think that if the nation is combined, suddenly there will be 6 automatic spots for England and the league will somehow be expanded. But there would probably be the same amount of teams, same amount of spots, and looking at the obvious difference in quality between the Premiership and Scottish & Welsh leagues, they would be fortunate (Celtic, Rangers) to qualify into the UEFA cup.

Also regarding the Olympics - the last I read, there will be a mini-tournament between England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales to see who actually 'represents' the United Kingdom. I said it elsewhere, but you may as well just consider it the "England Pre-Olympic Tour".

13. BTFOOM

BTFOOM Member+

Apr 5, 2004
    MD, USA
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    True, but then after a hundred years or so, a group of rag-tags from the states would rise up and knock the pi$$ out of you ;) .

14. mookhead

mookhead New Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Metro Chicago
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Wasn't there talk of Celtic and the Rangers joining the EPL a couple years ago? or is that talk of that over with??

15. Crown Paints

Crown Paints New Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Barnsley
    I love that :D