A True Expert

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by WishyWashy, Oct 21, 2003.

1. WishyWashy

WishyWashy New Member

Aug 8, 2002
  2. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    too true. Also, check out my sig.

3. e_k1

e_k1 New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Germany
    They've always claimed Brady when discussing the successful Brits abroad story. Probably because so few genuine British players have been successful in the major foreign leagues.

4. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    When Sean Kelly was making one of his many unsuccessful pushes for the Tour de France, when it looked like that particular year was going to be 'his' year, he was being closely watched, obviously in Ireland, but also in Britian.

Now, it was always going to be very hard to claim Kelly as British in light of the fact that he had had very little to do with Britian or England throughout his career and also, well, Sean Kelly, well, it's about as Irish a name as you're going to come across.

Nevertheless BBC, ITV and the London press continuously referred to him as "English-speaking rider, Sean Kelly".........

Ahhh! Sophistry...........a wonderful thing to behold.

5. shay

shay New Member

May 13, 2003
    london
    yes to lift the quote from sky here it is

"During the 1980s, there were a number of Brits who were hits in Europe. Though many were successful in their own right, Liam Brady stands out as he twice won Serie A championships with Juventus of Italy, in 1981 and 1982.

Way before then, however, John Charles was a massive hit - coincidentally at the same club as Brady - but there were fewer medals to win, thus it really is hard to compare. I hope this helps in some way, though."

also John Charles was Welsh. (but I suppose they can clain him as british)

I think the british media do pick and choose when to claim someone as their own and when to disown them. This can be true for Northern Irish sportsman aswell. there was a classic remark which was supposed to have been made by Murry Walker regarding the formula 1 driver John Watson.
    "the british driver has taken the lead..oooh and the irishman has crashed"

6. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    I remember back when Eddie Irvine was doing the business at Ferrari with Michael Schumacher - everytime he was in a podium position, he was "the British driver"...anytime he crashed out, he was "Irishman Eddie Irvine" :)

The one about Séan Kelly though, if true, has to be the best!

7. Mobile

Mobile New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Melbourne
    Ah, well, it's all fair enough I reckon. If you boys can pick people like Andy Townsend and Clinton Morrison to play for your side - and claim they're Irish - then I think it isn't too unreasonable to claim Liam Brady as one of our own.

We may as well just rename you West Britain and welcome you back into the UK :D

8. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    It's not so much the claiming of Brady that rankles - why don't your lot ever want to claim Alan Kernaghan or Paul Butler? They're available on a free........:)

9. Mobile

Mobile New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Melbourne
    It's a deal - provided you take back Mark Lawrenson and promise he'll never appear on my television set again ;)

10. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Only if you help us get rid of Dunphy

11. sporting-celtic

Jun 22, 1999
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Light-hearted' booing, my arse

I hope nobody starts booing here.... it might make me want to puke.

it's ok to say "puke," right Father?

12. shay

shay New Member

May 13, 2003
    london
    what about Oscar Wilde, Bram Stoker, George Bernard Shaw. are they all british aswell.

I think the problem is that the brits know they are Irish but pretend not to know that Ireland is not part of Britian any more.

Paul Butler...now there's a story..definitely english..

What exactly are Andy Townsend's connections with Ireland (apart from having played for our football team)

13. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Andy Townsend's grandmother was born in Castleisland, Kerry.

About G B, Oscar and the boys - when they were born, Ireland was part of the UK (UK of GB & Ireland), so they were British in the same way as someone from Scotland today is Scottish and British.

14. Zacatecas

Zacatecas New Member

Dec 31, 2002
    The whole English Speaking rider thing with Kelly was not just an English media thing.

You have to understand the context of world cycling in the early to mid 80's. Up until then there were NO English speaking riders that challenged for the Tour de France. Then in a few short years there was Kelly, Andersen (Aussie), LeMond (Yank), Millar (Scot) all in tearing it up the TdF (actually one year, 84? ,they all finished in the top 5 together).

They were often collectively referred to in the cycling world as "English speaking" riders, because it was such a big deal.... even in Irish newspapers, I distinctly rememeber it.

Another example of British appropriation was Eddie Macken when he was winning all around him in world showjumping in the 70's.

15. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    Briefly skimmed through this thread, and I think I have got the general gist of it. I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the 1994 WC yet, where just about everyone in Britain adopted Ireland as their team.

16. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Member

Jul 26, 1999
    Washington, DC USA
    I can't believe this thread didn't devolve into a pissing match.

I've got a tear in my eye.

;)

17. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Too true! I'm surprised at the civility and restraint.

I just think everyone is still in shock that a bunch of nobodys from Russia and Switzerland knocked us out of the Euros.

18. sporting-celtic

Jun 22, 1999
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

Russia a team of nobodys?

It's well I remember the night back in '74 when the soccer world was shocked when the little ROI beat mighty Russia (then the USSR) 3-0 at Dalymount. If I'm not mistaken Don Givens,that usless coach who can't lace the boots of the smart lads on this list, had the hat trick. It's funny how times changes things in the soccer world. Now Russia is a team of nobodys and ROI is the bees knee.

Ireland have played Russia 5 times and are 1-2-2.

Russia are nobodys? Lets see how they do against little Wales who Ireland have played 9 times and are 3-1-5.

19. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    I believe the word is irony. Lighten up.