A thread for random thoughts about music

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Michael K., Dec 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sometimes you think up something while listening to some band, or watching some video, or something music-related just pops into your head, and it's not really substantial or important enough to start a thread over, but it's just gotta be said. Especially when you've had a couple drinks and are snowed in, like tonight.

This is the thread for that. Please, join in.

So...I'll start.

I've seen the video exactly one time, late at night, but I'm just really, totally, and completely into the girl from stellastarr*

You know what little thing makes "The Way You Move" such a freaking outstanding track? I do. It's that Temptationsish "aaaaaaaaaah" in the background. It's such a little thing, but that song just would not be the same without it.

What ever happened to the career of.....Seal?

2. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    I've never turned a Foo Fighters song off of the radio.

3. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hot & Cold off Basement Jaxx's Kish Kash is the best Cardigans song never made.

4. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull has always scared me.

5. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frank Beard of ZZ Top is one of the two celebrities to ever come in my father's store.*
    The other? Claude Aikens.

*Unbelievably, Daddy Long Legs, ex of the Bloodhound Gang actually came in one day while on tour with Wolfpac. Unbelievable because one of my brothers has been a BHG fan (say what you will) for a long time, but wasn't there that day. But he's not really a 'celebrity', is he?

6. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Is David Bowie God or just one of many musical deities?

7. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I wonder if my wife knows I have hidden somewhere the once-sweaty t-shirt once worn by White Zombie bassist Sean Yseult.

My brother once saw Claude Aikins in an airport. Other passengers thought they recognized him, but weren't sure from where. At that time he played a truck driver on the TV show "Moving On." My brother told some people who he was. Claude Aikins took a pen out of his carry-on luggage. No one came over to ask for his autograph (sorry, couldn't find the "Anyone Else Have Claude Aikins' Autograph" thread from FFA).

Frank Beard, ironically, was the one guy in ZZ Top who couldn't grow a beard to save his life. He also had the same name as a professional golfer, which is rare among rock musicians.

8. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    "Only Love Can Break Your Heart" by Saint Etienne is one of the greatest remakes ever.

9. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm absolutely convinced that everyone in the Northeast, if not the lower 48, is connected to G Love of G Love and Special Sauce by an average of 3 degrees. I've barely been to Philadelphia in my life, but it seems like every time I've talked to one of my friends who has, they're like "Yeah, went to a party and met G Love".

Philly, to my knowledge, is not that small a town. Dude has got to get around.

10. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, and in a moment I'm going right over to the internet bookie, and laying a HUGE bet on Jimmy Sturr to win the Polka Grammy this year.

11. kotzunder

kotzunder New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    i was thinking what the difference between power and speed metal is (i really dunno)

oh and even what joe satriani's genre is (simply rock and roll or what else)

and a question to u english/americans...do u find lyrics of non-english bands singing and writing in ur language weird ?

12. PSUdude

PSUdude New Member

Dec 15, 1998
    Elmhurst, Queens, NY
    Why do Bands like Sevendust and 311 never get the respect they truly deserve

13. Aimer. Northend Diva

Dec 7, 2000
    Hollywood
    Seal actually has a new cd out. I like the first song I hear off it. "Waiting for you" or something like that is the name of it.

14. Ferris

Ferris New Member

Mar 31, 2003
    "Kiss from a Rose" is the one blemish on my otherwise spotless alternative sensibilities...I love that song and I hate myself for it...

15. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    You are not the only one. They are not only overlaping, you will also get 4 opinions if you ask 3 people what exactly Speed Metal is. I'll give it a try (i think the best thing i can do is to give some bands as examples) :

Speed Metal: Fast played traditional Heavy Metal. Think of bands like Judas Priest or Helloween (especially with Kai Hansen on vocals). But also kinda stands between Heavy and Thrash Metal (some people even use it as a synonym for the lesser extreme forms of Thrash (Metallica,Megadeth,Anthrax) as opposed to Sadus for example) as some bands labeled as Speed Metal are closer to Thrash/influenced Thrash/turned into Thrash (but still lacked the charecteristic Thrash riffs): Motörhead, Venom, Living Death, early Slayer (Show no Mercy).

Power Metal on the other hand is even more complicated: Could either mean Metal wich is too Heavy to be Trad, but still not Thrash Metal (examples JAG Panzer, Angel Dust, Helstar (see also: Power-Thrash ;) )). Then there is also the very melodic Power Metal (probably mostly influenced by Helloween) with bands like Rhapsody.

16. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    He's in the executive council of musical deities.

17. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I met Tom Jones in the airport when I was in jr high. I had a German Foreign Exchange student with me. He talked to Tom for quite a few minutes about what a great job he did on the song "Kiss." I wish I knew at the time how cool Tom Jones actually was. But still, how many people get to meet that guy? Quite a few, probably. Oh well.

18. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Wolfpac? Aren't they those clowns that wrote that "white girls! are pink in the middle!" song?

19. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    There was a time when I was really into "post-rock" like Slint, Mogwai, Godspeed! etc....but for some reason I can't get into it right now (though I still dig explosions in the sky). Have I just grown out of it?

20. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    When will the 2-Tone revival start?

21. kotzunder

kotzunder New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    then even Gamma ray are "melodic" power metal?
    and whats "the best" power metal band ...the one that plays music of Gamma Ray's "start running" kind, powerful , heavy ,fast, with those great guitar parts and solos (that seem so much influenced by iron maiden)
    probably there aren't albums with only great songs, but keeper pt 2 was close to it....can u suggest something similar (not necessarily of that kind)

22. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Why am I the only American I know who seems to understand how good Dexy's Midnight Runners are??

23. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I'd like to see The Faces get back together for one last run. Ron Wood, Rod Stewart, Kenny Jones, Ian McLagan, Ronnie Lane....

That was a kick ass band back in the day before Rod Stewart lost all his musical integrity and sold his soul to the pop/disco devil.

24. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I think Jack Johnson's CD is good mood music. I should try it out.
    But will she be thinking about him instead of me?
    Do I care?

25. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Yes, although there is a difference between them and bands like Stratovarius or Rhapsody, who took the whole Melodic thing further (too far for my taste, but that's just my opinion). Gamma Ray are somewhere between Speed and Power (so Power/Speed Metal would probably the most fitting label).
    There are many bands that combine elements from both genres (but in the end genre descriptions don't matter that much anyway, imho).

Lame response, but: that depends on your tastes. Personaly i like both, US-style PM or the classic euro-style (Helloween, Gamma Ray...), as long as it's still HEAVY Metal (see my comments above).

I'll try:
    If you like Gamma Ray and Helloween you will probably also like Iron Savior (i would be surprised if not). Primal Fear and Sinner maybe too.

Other PM recommendations, on the top of my head:

Classics: Grave Digger, Rage, Running Wild

Modern, Helloween influenced bands (sometimes a bit too mellow for my tastes): Masterplan, Freedom Call, Edguy, Blind Guardian, Demons & Wizards, Last Tribe (ok, they don't fit in that good with the others, but if you like Melodic Metal you should check them out.)

If you want it a bit heavier: Paragon, Paradox, Stormwitch, Mystic Prophecy, Brainstorm, Iced Earth.